Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Anthropoid's Review

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 am

ADDIT: see post below for updated comments on patch 1.06 version of the game.

Pretty sure I'm running the stock game (1.05F ?). I DLed it from Matrix a couple days ago. I got a rig that is within requirements but not overly powerful.

1) Had to reconfigure some graphics settings to get the game to run smoothly. That was annoying, but I guess I shouldn't complain given I'm running a fairly middle-to-low-end rig, and have not updated my drivers or anything like that . . . NO MORE PROBLEMS WITH THIS EVER SINCE, AND NO RECURRENCE SINCE INSTALLING PATCH 1.06

2) Since DLing and playing about 12 of 15 hours in the last 3 days, I've had at least 7 maybe 10 CTDs. The last three times it happened I had my taskmanager running and checked the processing running that were hung. All three times it was WW1Main.exe that had the CPU maxed out and was unresponsive. In short, its a bit of a memory hog, and has a tendency to go insane on you. Annoying for a game that I just paid $50 for to be buggy and choppy in performance . . . I don't really care, annoying is what I call it. I wouldn't pay $50 for me and the wife to go out for a meal at a nice restaurant, and be 'okay' with it if the food came out cold. Neither should we gamers be okay with shelling out $50 for a game that runs half-way.
NO RECURRENCE SINCE INSTALLING PATCH 1.06

Related to point (2): AI ops, map and game initialization, etc., all seem to be rather slow.
SINCE INSTALLING PATCH 1.06 GAME SEEMS TO HAVE SPEEDED UP CONSIDERABLY. WAIT TIMES NOW SEEM TOTALLY REASONABLE, AND HANGS ARE BRIEF AND NEVER TERMINAL.

Please fix it AGEOD.

3) It really is a beautiful game. Nice balance between map art, unit icons, and on-map sprites, the music, the text and background . . . all beautiful and well-executed design. The game balance, conception, and basic engine operation also are some of the most promising I've seen. Right now I can't say much about the most complex game mode (army-by-army turns or whatever they're calling it) cause there is a bug and the patch is not out yet, but assuming they can actually get it running smoothly, it sounds like it will be an amazingly realistic simulation of early 20th century command and control limitations. The attention to detail and richness of events, political information, the depth and breadth of civil, military, and planning elements . . . all top-notch. If the game just ran smoothly, I would be so jazzed to give this one a top rating.
SINCE PATCH 1.06, IT NOW SEEMS TO BE 'RUNNING SMOOTHLY' AND _YES_ IT REALLY IS A BEAUTIFUL GAME!

4) Point-n-click interface on naval units is really, REALLY clunky. I should not have to point-n-click, point-n-click, point-n-click 6 or 7 times in a row just to get a fleet to select for movement, or 10 or 15 times in a row to get it to merge with another fleet. There are similar problems with the land units but it does not appear to be as bad. Likewise, some of the map modes are a bit difficult to follow.
THIS STILL SHOWS PROBLEMS IN 3D MODE, EVEN WITH 1.06 PATCH, BUT A REASONABLY EASY WORKAROUND IS TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN 2D AND 3D MODE.

5) If there are in fact ways to: (a) transfer Mediterranean fleets past Gibraltar and into the Atlantic or to (b) transfer Atlantic fleets on the Atlantic hemisphere mini-map into the main Europe map, they are NOT the least bit obvious and have defied my repeated and persistent efforts to discover (lots more point-n-clicking). If there is NOT a way to transfer ships from the farflung parts of the globe then why not? I can get my fleets on the Pacific mini-map over to the Atlantic mini-map, which is an enormous distance, so why should I not be able to get my Atlantic mini-map fleets up to England and Denmark? (which is not nearly such a long distance after all).

I searched the manual for "ocean" = nothing; "sea" = one or two entries that did nothing to help; "off-map" = one entry. "mini-map" = equally unhelpful for figuring out if it is possible to transfer fleets off the mini-maps to the main Euro map or if so how to do it.
STILL HAVE NOT GOT A FINAL ANSWER ON THIS QUESTION. PATRA AND I SUSPECT THAT GERMAN OVERSEAS FLEETS AND MED FLEETS ARE RESTRICTED FROM MOVING BACK TO MAIN EUROPE WATERS

6) My last complaint is fairly minor, but it deserves to be said. I respect that the game was made in France by French speakers, but I bought it in English. Much of the language in game, in tutorial, in the manual, etc., is less than 'good' English. A small negative, which by itself would be almost unmentionable but in view of the rest of the issues it is something that cannot go unnoticed by a half-way annoyed gamer who is wondering if he just got half-way swindled.
WELL, LIKE I SAID BEFORE: MINOR :)

I wish you guys nothing but the best, and hope you will receive my review in the manner in which it was intended: helpful, constructive criticism to help you get your stuff straight so that this game can really live up to its full potential. This game has tremendous potential; indeed, I'd say that if it were to be fully squared away, it would be one of the best games in the last few years. But that is still quite a bit of work away for you fellas, and probably quite a few patch installs away for us customers.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:15 am

deleted

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 am

try 1.06a in army by army mode, it should help.

they are working on a differant way to merge units, until thats ready i suggest you switch to 2d map units when trying to merge naval units. then switch back after merging.

i suggest the same if your having trouble moving units across the globe.

as for how to move fleets? i just drag a fleet from whever in the world it is and drop it in a european port.

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks guys, I'll maybe try the army-by-army mode as indicated in the link and 2d mode for the unit selecting issue.

Unlike you Patrat, this machine is less than a year old: not the most robust rig, but not 5.5 years old either!

If you can get it run on that old of a machine at all, then I don't think it is unreasonable for me to get it to run well too.

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:08 pm

So I checked out how 2d does and how the army-by-army mode does.

Strangely, army-by-army does not seem to make anything any better on my rig.

2d DOES seem to make the selection of naval units and merging them easier. Is it only on lower graphics machines that 3d has this problem or is it general?

Lastly, the issue of moving fleets, I tried again.

I have "Atlantik" (one SS) on Lagos. Get it selected so I can see the little shaded ship-in-movement shadow graphic, drag my cursor from the Atlantic-mini-map all the way to the large Atlantic area of the main Europe map (Atlantic-Euro) and let go of the cursor: I get a message that says there is no path between the two points.

Same thing if I select the Pacifik and try to drag it all the way to Atlantic-Euro without first going to Panama Canal, and also same thing if I try to go from Panama Canal or Atlantic-mini- map to Atlantic-Euro. Also the same thing if I try to go anywhere from Mediterranean-Euro-map to Atlantic-Euro-map.

I'm guessing that, in order for a unit to get into the Atlantic area of the main Euro map, it has to start its turn in one of the following two map sections: (a) Western Med, or (b) Atlantic-mini-map.

Can someone who knows about this please answer if this is correct? Am I doing something wrong here, or is it possible I've got a problem with a bug or corruption or something?

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm

by the names of these fleets it seems that they are german. perhaps rules restricting german fleets or range issues are the problem.

i have no problem moving allied fleets anywhere.

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Yep, German, Italian, and Austrian fleets (Italy and Turkey had been diplomatically shifted into the CP alliance).

Just DLing the 1.06 patch.

Is the 1.06a patch out already? Is this it here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13154

??

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:43 pm

well thats the reason then. check manual for cp fleet restrictions, im not famaliar with the details of them.

makes sense that they cant move from med to atlantic. the brits had the rock of gilbralta. and probaly mined the straights.

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks Patrat, now I just gotta figure out if DLing the 1.06 patch plus Calvinus' "temp fix for slowness" is equivalent to 1.06a or not! :)

patrat
Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm

hehe we are answering each other in 2 differant threads, im getting confused :laugh:

as i said in other thread i have 1.06 and the fix. im sticking with that till i hear differant. :dada:

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

1.06a plus "temp fix for 1.06 slowness" seems to be the trick

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 am

Most of my complaints in the post above were based on the stock version in the DL from Matrix.

I've now installed patch 1.06 plus a temp fix "rollback" for slowness with 1.06 (not quite the same thing as the 1.06a patch, but quite close I think).

With the a few minor exceptions, this seems to have fixed most of my problems.

The dificulty with selecting and merging units in 3d mode remains, but that can be worked around by switching back and forth b/w 2d and 3d.

From my perspective, I'm now a happy customer, and I can now fully appreciate what a great game this is. Great job guys! Its brilliant!

calvinus

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 am

Anthropoid wrote:From my perspective, I'm now a happy customer, and I can now fully appreciate what a great game this is. Great job guys! Its brilliant!

I'm still sick ( :( ) and such news make me happy at least... :)

Frank

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 am

calvinus wrote:I'm still sick ( :( ) and such news make me happy at least... :)

Get well soon Calvinus! :coeurs:

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 am

Hope you feel better soon Calvinus. I guess those nasty late-winter/early-spring bugs are making their way right-round the globe.

My grad student came in to office today looking like a zombie and admitted that "I'm totally contagious right now . . ."

Geeze! For Pete's Sake you're a grad student in biological anthropology! You should no better than to expose everyone to your germs! :bonk:

Chyron0
Conscript

I give you a toast

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

Well, I haven't posted anywhere for a long time but just wanted to say this :

I have bought all of Ageod's games and also have Pax Romana and almost all of Paradox's strategy games starting from Europa Universalis I (in German since it was first released in that language and then the same in English).
On the other hand, I never really played most of these games and hardly looked at WW 1 after I installed it because I lack the time to get engaged in so comprehensive a game though I admire the scope & the attention to detail. I did however follow the game's development on this forum and an epic story it was indeed, far more interesting than a game perfect out of the box.
In short, I'm a supporter rather than a player and I do think these games need all the support they can get.
I'm happy to see that WW 1 should finally be getting on its feet with 1.06a. I hope that I may one day have the opportunity to really play it but in the meantime I'll just cherish the notion that I own a copy.
I do salute the developpers for their commintment and their courage. May they continue the good work indefinitely.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”