Averkinen
Sergeant

Units Stats ...

Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi everyone!

When I add new units to the game, I ran into quite a big problem, namely, I do not understand how criteria were established for the original units of game. Here are some examples:

Some indicators are fairly easy to determine, for example, in 1914 there were in the Japanese army was 750000-800000 people, in the game Japan have a three unit of 6-7-4, therefore 750000/3 = 250,000 people would be equivalent to this game stat.

But some seem to be quite complicated and not very or not at all historical. For example, шn the game Koenigsberg fort has garrison of 3-4-3, and the historical data, it had a garrison of 9-10 thousand people, therefore, 3-4-3 = 9000-10000?

But if we turn to another source, such as the Dutch army, which is also in the game, you will notice that at the time of the war, she has mobilized 500,000 people, in the game she has 3 units 3-4-3 and 1 unit 4-5-4. But if 3-4-3 is equal to 9-10 thousand, then 4-5-4 will be equal to 470 thousand, but it's even more than the 6-7-4, what of course is not correct.

Therefore, I ask, is there any formula or a table of values for which were drawn up game stats? Because without it I can not even imagine how possible to add new units or the army in this wonderful game. Maybe You be using a very approximate value? But then the game is not historical. Thanks a lot for any reply.

Best Regards! :hat:
Sorry for my bad English. ;)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 am

I doubt that there is any formula. Look at the German colonial forces, almost equal to those of Britain and France combined but in reality they only mobilized less than 10% of Entente pre-war strength. The German Tsingtao Corps is the equivalent of a French Reserve Corps (three-divisions, some 45000 men with 144 guns) but there were actually less than 4000 troops in the entire garrison.

Likewise Austria has a VII and VIII Armies defending the Italian Front in the Grand Campaign but these formations did not exist as such in 1914.

So it would seem that the designers catered the orders of battle, units and strength to what worked in the game and gave them the desired results within the WW1G game system rather than being strictly historical. If you're modding the OOB's I suggest that you use a similar philosophy. Fortunately Cavinus increased the number of units that WW1G can handle so you have lots of flexibility.

Good Luck.

BTW, have you tried adding additional leaders?

Averkinen
Sergeant

Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Ok, mate, thanks a ton for help! So, it turns out, I still have to use approximate values​​, as you advised me and, well, on the one hand it is good that I do not have to reconcile all to the smallest detail, but the other is bad, that my added armies will not be the historical on 100% of how I wanted it before. Well let's see what happens, but for now thank you very much for your help! ;)

Unfortunately, no, now I will concentrate only on the armies, but in future I will try to add the leaders for more realism (one leader for one nation, because I will only deal with minor nations).

:hat:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm far less concerned with 100% accuracy in relative unit strength (something always subjective) than getting reasonably representative results when the game plays out. So while the massive German colonial forces might have no historical counterparts, their existence forces the Entente player to deal with them at some point. Also their strength requires time and effort and probably diverts forces from somewhere else. So the effect is historically reasonable even if the specific causes are not.

You have to be careful with this indirect cause and effect technique however, since as the Central Powers or the AI will use these same forces to conquer Entente colonies in a manner that is not only non-historical and impracticable but probably militarily impossible in the event. This is why I wrote a mod for the Grand Campaign to lock the German colonial garrisons in place until mid-1916. It always bugged me when the SW Afrika garrison unit turned up capturing French Indochina or Singapore. Other's have different opinions no doubt.

I have not messed around too much with the Minors but plan on adding some more leaders for the main belligerents at some point.

Good Luck!

Averkinen
Sergeant

Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Ok, thanks again for answer, man! :)

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”