Random
AGEod Veteran

1915 Scenario Naval Mod

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:24 pm

Offered without warranty, please post any issues or feedback here or drop me a PM.

- C

From the Readme.txt that nobody seems to read:

La Grande Guerre/World War One Gold

1915 Scenario Naval Mod

For 108N

Instructions

Back up the following files:

[color="Red"]World War One Gold\Data\DB\ProductionCosts.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\Units.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\Detachments.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\Fleets.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\Nations.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\Reinforcements.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\Shipyards.csv

World War One Gold\Data\DB\GoldScenarios\1915\TurnRules.csv[/color]

Unzip this folder into a temporary directory, cutting and pasting into the WW1G DB and 1915 Scenario folders, replacing the original files. Now go win the War…

The enclosed Units.csv file contains a number of modifications and cannot be used with any other stock scenarios.

This mod should restore something resembling naval balance to WW1G and the British Royal Navy is unlikely to face annihilation after a mere ten or so combat rounds at the hands of an inferior High Seas Fleet. A number of values and modifiers have been changed to lessen the otherwise unstoppable power of the Kaiser’s dreadnoughts. As a small offset for the taming of the uber-battleships however, Austria-Hungary may now build U-Boats to add to the tonnage war.

Other naval changes include:

British Royal Navy:

- Most ship names should now have correct spelling.

- Scout Fleet is renamed BCF for Battle Cruiser Fleet

- Home Fleet is renamed Grand Fleet as it was on 4 August 1914

- Atlantic Fleet is renamed Channel Fleet as the former was based at Gibraltar.

- Only two Queen Elizabeth’s (QE and Warspite) are in commission at the start. The remainder should arrive as reinforcements at about their historical operational dates.

- None of the Revenge Class are in commission and all five must be built via the Shipyards.

- There is a new SS fleet in the Med named E-24.

- Losses up to April 1915 have been subtracted.

- The negative modifier to all RN combat rolls has been removed although the hard coded shell penalty remains.

French Navy:

- BB Jean Bart and AC Joan d’Arc were omitted from stock and have been added.

- War losses have been deleted.

Imperial German Navy

- BB Baden and Bayern have been removed from the Fleet and placed back into the Shipyard queue.

Regina Marina

- Order of Battle has been adjusted so BB Dante Alighieri is with the Conte Cavour’s.

- Both Andrea Doria’s require completion via the Shipyards.

- B Squadrons have been adjusted so that the more modern ships are present.

- A CL Squadron of three fast light cruisers of the Marsala type has been added.

KuK Marine

- The 9-newest pre-dreadnoughts have been grouped into two B Squadrons. Obsolete ships have been deleted.

- A new AC Squadron contains the best Austrian large cruisers.

- A new CL Squadron contains four fast cruisers of the Saida type.
- War losses have been deleted

United States Navy

- Atlantic Fleet dreadnoughts and pre-dreadnoughts have been rearranged into homogenous BB and B Squadrons respectively.

- AC Squadrons have been added as the USN loved their large cruisers, fictional and incorrectly named ships have been deleted or changed.

- A fast CL Squadron containing three cruisers of the Salem type has been added.

Imperial Russian Navy

- The Baltic Fleet now has its historical ships.

- The Black Sea Fleet now has its historical ships.

- AC Unit Bayan and DD Unit Novik have been added to the Baltic Fleet.

- SS Units Narval and Akula have been added at Rewal and Sevastopol respectively.

Minor Navies

- The Greek Navy is complete.

- The Dutch Navy is complete.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1915 Scenario Naval Mod V2. Complete with fixes and all inclusive.

Fixed spelling error (mine) that prevented British BB unit Colossus from appearing in the Grand Fleet.

Fixed minor error in the Detachments.csv that prevented French Atlantic Fleet from appearing, now including AC Jeanne d'Arc.

Added CV HMS Argus to shipyards. Built on the incomplete hull of the Italian liner Conte Rosso, Argus is cheap to start but expensive to complete. Given the limited utility of CV's she will probably never be built in the game but when Calvinus increased the number of units available, my resistance to adding her collapsed.
Attachments
1915 Scenario Naval Mod v2.zip
(44.64 KiB) Downloaded 416 times

calvinus

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 pm

:thumbsup:

Thread moved to the appropriate topic and made sticky. ;)

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:14 pm

I probably wasn't paying attention when this was discussed originally, but I'd be curious to know if some of this couldn't be worked into a future patch as standard features. The idea of historical fleets behaving in a historical way is very seductive (and part of the reason many of us play this kind of game). I gather there is some technical impediment.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Philippe wrote:I probably wasn't paying attention when this was discussed originally, but I'd be curious to know if some of this couldn't be worked into a future patch as standard features. The idea of historical fleets behaving in a historical way is very seductive (and part of the reason many of us play this kind of game). I gather there is some technical impediment.

This is a good point but time and resources are finite and I for one am very grateful that Calvinus continues to address bugs and trouble shoot PBEM without worrying about spelling ship names etc. I also believe that there are technical issues with the way WW1G reads certain .csv files that make a single OOB friendly patch impractical for all scenarios.

Not being a modding expert or writer of code, it would seem that named ships in the Units.csv file override any changes that can be added to specific "squadrons" in the scenario Detachments.csv file. This means for example, that one can edit ship names in the scenario file until the cows come home but when the game loads the scenario for the first time you will only see those names from the one-size-fits-all Units.csv file from the common DB folder. I don't think that's working as desired but have not experimented enough to be sure. In any case, scenario customized Unit.csv files serves as a work-around for modding purposes.

Of course I could have it all wrong!

One might want to set up a trial by editing the Units.csv to remove all ship names not required to identify the squadron and add them all to the entries in the scenario specific Detachments.csv to see if they show up. I suspect they might but have not tried doing so.

Another issue is perceptions of the naval war that likely drives the HSF bonuses. I consider the Imperial Navy grossly over powered and the RN unrealistically handicapped but that's my opinion regardless of the reading done to form these conclusions. On the other hand, most gamers, raised on the Jutland singularity and British warships that blow up when sneezed at will expect the game to work this way. If the concentrated Grand Fleet annihilated the HSF in the game (as Scheer himself anticipated would happen), expect a storm of protest that the game is somehow unrealistic and modders demanding the ability to adjust the game so that RN battlecruisers can detonate on demand and numerical superiority no help for the British.

There is so much right with this game although to be honest, for a time I was ready to bin WW1G out of shear frustration with certain characteristics and behaviors. Fortunately so many aspects of the game can be adjusted by the user with relative ease that many of these can be made to disappear.

Just me, but I would far rather have the developer prioritizing bugs and leave the tweaking to the gaming public, it speaks volumes of positive that Calvinus perseveres with addressing those fixes that he does. Realistically how many casual players cared that the Russian battleship Potemkin had been renamed Pantelimon long before the War and was not in the Baltic Fleet, SMS Salamander was a 270 ton minelayer not an armoured cruiser and there was not and has never been a USS Rockhampton? Whether these errors should never have appeared in the game is now moot and huge kudos to Calvinus for fixing what he can when he can.

Sorry for the wall of text...

- C

calvinus

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:12 am

What I could do is to integrate the graphical mod by JMass with the data mod done by Random, so building an alternative Data/ folder that can be use as Mod folder (WW1 Configuration Tool allows to set alternative Data folders for Modding). This could be an official mod of WW1.

PhilThib

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am

Would be nice indeed :thumbsup: :cool:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm

calvinus wrote:What I could do is to integrate the graphical mod by JMass with the data mod done by Random, so building an alternative Data/ folder that can be use as Mod folder (WW1 Configuration Tool allows to set alternative Data folders for Modding). This could be an official mod of WW1.

I discovered a couple of relatively minor errors of omission in my 1915 files and am currently testing the fix. As a bonus though, successfully introduced the aircraft carrier HMS Argus into the Shipyards building queue.

Since there appears to be at least some interest, I will continue to work on my modded Grand Campaign files for eventual posting here.

- C

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

New version out, see OP above.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:46 am

Thank you. :thumbsup:

RGA
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 am

Excellent work Chris. :thumbsup:

Averkinen
Sergeant

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Great, thank you! You, as always delights us with his ideas for improving this great game. :hat:
Sorry for my bad English. ;)

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”