Mr Bill
Corporal

Playing as One (and Only One) Nation During Campaign

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 am

How hard would it be to create a scenario similar to single player version of the "4 player GC" wherein during the course of play the human player would only control the nation he selected at the outset?

What I mean is, say I pick Austria-Hungary. At the beginning, all I control is Austria-Hungary. However, if Italy joins the Central Powers, I also control that too.

What I'd like to do is have all other nations but the one I select at the beginning of the campaign to be AI controlled. Is their a way I could somehow tweak the existing 4 player GC to do this?

PhilThib

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:48 am

We have this on the task list...this is not as easy as it seems, because it involves creating a bunch of new AI features for "allies".... :bonk:

Mr Bill
Corporal

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:59 am

Interesting, I had thought that since Germany + Austria-Hungary and Russia + France demonstrated a collaborative Human-AI behavior, that this could be extended to other countries as well. However, as is more often the case than I'd like, it seems I was mistaken. :o

So does this mean that there is a specific AI script responsible for each combination of AI-Human within an Alliance for the 4 player GC (i.e., one for Human Russia, AI France; another for AI Russia, Human France; another for Human Germany, AI Austria Hungary; and finally one for Human Austria-Hungary, AI Germany)?

If so, in order to make this work with other nations, that is a lot of scripts indeed to handle all possible AI-Human combinations for all the nations in the game. :bonk:

Of course, since I'm just guessing about how it works again, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong yet again. :D

Reason I asked about this was because I'm still learning the ropes of this game, and I figured a good way to learn the basics (apart from the extremely short tutorials and smaller scale scenarios) was to control just Austria-Hungary, as they aren't generally even involved in the Western Front.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 am

In fact, the easiest for us to start with would be to allow this for the Entente side, because Russia / Western Powers are quite well spearated.... it's a nightmare for CPs, because they share same operational sectors (even AH with the Italian front where it might be important, as in history, to receive some German support) :bonk:

We are studying this, but it takes time :(

Mr Bill
Corporal

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 pm

PhilThib wrote:
We are studying this, but it takes time :(

That's ok, I don't mind if this feature gets put waaaaaaay on the back burner. Stability and bug fixes are much more important than this. Besides, I'll eventually get to the point where controlling an entire alliance won't be so daunting. :D

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”