dougbush93
Captain

Campaign Game as CP - Early Aug 1914

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Now that we have version 106a, I think the game is in good enough condition for a long CG w/ AAR. I am taking the CP.

Settings:
Version 106a
AI is at max aggressive / difficulty / given full time
FOW on everything except each nation's stats (NW, etc)
Sound effects on, no music
Turn-Based w/ Army-to-Army mode
Special Reinforcement rule East Front only

War Plans:

Germany - Schlieffen + Good Morale + Accured Mobilization

AH - "Free Setup" w/ no offensives required, start with AH II Army in Galicia + Good morale + bonus RP/MUN

French - Plan XVII + Good Morale

Russia - Czar Plan (focus on AH) + Good Morale + Cavalry Shock

Comments:

Nothing too exciting here. Historic situation in the West. Russians going hard against AH in Galicia, but AH has 4 armies there and no attack requirement in Early August, so may balance out.

Event Draw:

CP gets to keep 4 events:
Bruchmuller - important later
Diplomacy - can't hurt
Espionage - always good
Bolo Pasha - always good

Nothing very cool available (Fokker, Econ Growth, etc), but I'll take it.

Early Diplomatic Efforts:

Germany sends Kaiser the gold and also commits max diplomatic effort to Turkey (GE2 and GE1 Ambs). AH sends 2 x 1 Ambs to Italy, and one to Rom. Brits keep the 2 x BBs.

Results are a mixed bag, but ok for CP:
England -3 to 2 (enters war when Germany attacks Belgium)
IT +3 to 5 (nice outcome for CP, keeps FR VII Army on the border)
TU +1 to 7 (not so great, given all the effort)
RO +3 to 5 (may help down the road)
BU -1 to 4 (not a big deal)
USA -1 to 22 (whatever)

German BC ends up in Constantinople, will help with diplo in August turn

More to follow, with artwork :thumbsup:

-Doug

dougbush93
Captain

Early August 1914 - Western Front

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 am

Three German Armies in the West execute their pre-turn moves. I coordinated all three armies. This is my "standard" Schlieffen plan opening. See attached image at the end of Early Aug 14 military phase.

GE I - Moves through Maastricht, into two areas to the West of Liege but avoids Antwerp. I created a cav detachment with the 2 cav corps for exploitation in the full August turn. No intercept from the Belgians in Brussels. See red arrows in the image.

GE II - Main body moves through Malmedy and into Liege space, starting the siege. One detachment with the 454 Reserve corps trails and converts the rail line. Other 1-corp detachment joins the main body at Liege, but will pick up rail conversion duty in August. See blue arrows in the image.

GE III - Places 2 corps in reserve (the 564s) and moves Bastogne -> Namur where it engages one Belgian corps. Germans designate Brussels as the breakthrough target (have to do that BEFORE the first round). Battle ends in 1 round with the Belgians taking a Disorg result and retreating. One German corps flipped. See green arrows.

Breakthrough - GE III breakthrough is with 2 x 564 corps that attack BE I Army in Brussels. Belgians don't put up much of a fight, retreating after 1 round. Retreat path is via the orange arrow, to the South. I've yet to ever see the Belgians retreat to the North, to Antwerp, as they did historically.

Siege - Germans fire both siege guns at Liege, but only get a "fort reduced" result. Germans then assault 4 times, taking out the garrison corps in the 2nd round (disorg result), neutralizing the fort in round 3, and then taking the fort in round 4. Germans take 6 more losses in the 4 rounds, with one corps OOC. With speed being imperative and the Germans able to flip their corps back to full at the start of the August turn, I figured it was worth it to risk the assaults. With a +2 morale mod, worst that can happen is an OOC result.

Germans end the pre-turn in pretty good shape, but have to do a lot of rail line converting with GE II Army in August. In August, I usually end up with GE I and GE III in the lead on the German right wing, with GE II bringing up the rear and converting rail lines and such. The GE II Siege guns can be handy at Antwerp or Maubeuge, or even down in the southern part of the front at Verdun or Nancy, if you can rail them down there.

-Doug
Attachments
Schlieffen Early Aug 14.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

August 1914

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:54 am

August 1914

Events

CP plays espionage so it can see what's up in the East. No big surprises.

Diplomacy

CP put max effort into Turkey (sending GE 2 and GE 1 ambs). Diplomatic test results in a +5, so Turkey joins the CP in August 1914. :D Romanians, Bulgarians, Greeks, and Italians react in favor of the Entente.

Entente diplo engine sends Ambs and does a diplo action on Sweden? :mdr: Moves them -3 toward Entente.

West Front (German attacks / advances shown with Red arrows, French in Blue)

GE I Army continues to exploit into Belgium, with cavalry and reserve detachment reaching the coast. GE I Army main body has a minor scrap with one Belgian corps just north of Mons. See dashed red arrows.

GE III Army attempts to take Charleroi, but gets into a major engagement with the French V Army, which makes its first appearance. After six rounds Germans are forced to retreat, although both sides take a beating.

GE II Army detaches 1 corps + siege arty to besiege Antwerp. Main body is intercepted in the area NW of Sedan by FR V Army. French are already banged up, so GE II wins the battle in 2 rounds, :w00t: but when it sends 2 corps in a breakthrough to the South, both corps go OOC in successive rounds. So much for the breakthrough. :p leure:

GE IV attempts to send one corps into Belgium to convert the rail line, but the FR IV Army intercepts and beats them back in two ugly rounds for the Germans.

Other German Armies organize reserves and await the French attack.

FR I and FR II attack in accordance with Plan XVII at Colburg and Saarbourg. Both attacks are not pressed home, ending after 4 rounds with both sides taking some losses, the French slightly more. FR III and FR IV do not attack at all.

East Front (Russian attacks / advances shown by red arrows)

GE VIII and all AH Armies stay put, with AH II making a minor adjustment to the rear to avoid any gaps in the line. No CP attacks in the East.

RU III, RU V, and RU VIII attack all along the front with the AH in Galicia. RU III is beaten back after 6 rounds by AH II near Lemberg. AH I fights off a half-hearted attack by RU V near Prezemsyl. RU VIII (led by Brusilov) does better, putting a beating on AH III Army, which retreats after 5 rounds into Cernowitz.

AH will fall back in (hopefully) good order to hold the Krakow - Prezemysl - Lemberg line, and try to block Gen. Brusilov from going any further in the extreme south.

Balkan Front

AH V Army walks into Belgrade and establishes a siege. Serbs don't intercept, for whatever reason.

Turkish Fronts

No action by either side, but Turks do send TU IV Army from Damascus to Jerusalem, in case the Brits get frisky. See image.

Turks do send their fleet to do a raid of Odessa, which succeeds and does 2EP damage.

Siege Results

Antwerp - German siege guns fire, but only reduce the fort. Siege is delayed.

Belgrade - Arty reduces the fort, then AH launches an assault just to see what happens. Fort is neutralized in first round, so 2nd assault takes the fort! Belgrade is in AH hands, for now. :thumbsup:

Comments

French AI does better this game trying to blunt the German right wing using the FR V Army and what's left of the Belgians. Brits should show up somewhere in September. Gap between GE IV and GE II in Belgium is wide and a concern, but French don't have anything to exploit with.

In the East, the Russians were pretty aggressive, so things could get interesting, but having AH II there stemmed the tide a bit, and AH is in good shape on RPs and MUN. Taking Belgrade was a nice surprise, but that was mostly due to the Serbs not defending it at all, which I've noticed before in my other games. Kind of an AI quirk I guess.

-Doug
Attachments
Aug 14 Palestine.jpg
Aug 14 Russian attacks.jpg
Aug 14 West Front.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:33 am

Very nice start, dougbush. I will be following along.

BTW, good move with the 3rd German Army. I tried that multiple times w/o success.

dougbush93
Captain

September 1914

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 am

September 1914

Events
I draw "Surprise" and "Breakthrough", nothing special. Then, Germany gets hit with a Strike mandatory event. :(

Diplomacy
CP sits tight. Entente continues to do critical diplomatic work in Sweden, for whatever reason. Sweden -1 to Entente. Due to Turkey coming in, the other "swing" nations are not where I'd like: Italy at 3, Bulgaria at 2, Greece at 2, Romania at 3. However, I can't do much until next turn when I get some more Ambassadors.

Military

West Front - Entente has Initiative

GE I and GE III Army are coordinated. GE I draws the BEF into a battle just West of Lille with a probe by a cavalry corps. In the battle, both BEF infantry corps get damaged before the Germans pull back. GE I main body then attacks and takes Lille after 2 rounds of combat with English cav corps.

GE III plows straight ahead and takes Charleroi after 4 rounds against the FR V Army, but uses up its reserves, so no breakthrough.

GE II attacks to the South, taking the space and then one more area (just West of Reims) with the breakthrough corps.

GE IV attacks FR IV, just to try to bleed off some French RPs and Munitions. Germans retreat after 4 rounds.

GE VI attacks FR II in another spoiling attack. Germans don't have much luck and retreat after 4 rounds.

No French or English attacks in the West, just repositioning. The AI has managed to form an actual line in front of the German right wing, which is much better than it did last game. Still, Germans have Lille, which results in a nice NW bump. Next turn focus will be besieging Maubeuge and driving GE I toward Paris. There is also a small chance I can cut off and surround FR V Army if the AI doesn't pull it back. See image for all attacks. Germans in red.

East Front / Balkans

Not much to report. AH Armies reposition to form a solid line (see image) and Russians are suprisingly timid and don't launch any attacks other than a little probe toward GE VIII Army in East Prussia. See image for AH line in Galicia.

Turks advance TU II and TU III Armies toward the Russian border, to prepare for the mandatory attacks next turn.

In Serbia, the Serb Army attacks Belgrade, but not at full strength, breaking off after just 3 rounds. AH V Army holds tight.

Naval Action

Definitely the main news of the turn. :thumbsup: Germans already had their Scout Fleet on the English coast, and during the Entente turn the English Scout Fleet comes out to intercept. The resulting battle goes a whopping 15 rounds, with the Germans getting reinforced in round 6 by the German North Sea Fleet and the English getting reinforced by the Atlantic Fleet in round 5. The Germans have the only BBs, so they have a big advantage on the older English Battleships in the Atlantic Fleet, sinking about 7 English BCs and Bs, along with assorted ACs / CLs. I think Beatty also got eliminated when the English BCs all went down. German BBs and BCs all get banged up, but I only lose 2 ships total, mostly because unlike the AI, I was pulling ships out of the line once they took a lot of damage. See image for final result. English Home Fleet is still untouched though, so Germans don't have too much advantage despite sinking some older English ships.

Comments

Fairly historic opening thus far. German right wing is making progress, but its not clear if I can make it to Paris, especially with the AI forming a decent line. East Front has not been very historic, with both sides kind of holding back. AH doing well in Serbia is a nice surprise. Hopefully the Turks can attack without doing too much damage to themselves in October.

-Doug
Attachments
Naval Battle Sept 14.jpg
East Front Sept 14.jpg
West Front Sept 14.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

October 1914

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:52 am

October 1914

Events

Germany benefits from "Economic Growth". +20EP and a free reduction in Civ Production. Very handy.

Tech and Diplo

AH gets "Airborne Cameras" on the first try. No other research progress.

In diplomacy, Germany sends 4 pts of Ambassadors to Romania and does a test. Result is +3 to CP (now at 7). Entente sends ambassadors to Netherlands and gets a -2 result, so now at 6.

Military

Entente has the initiative and moves first

West Front

See image. GE attacks/advances in Red. French in Blue.

FR I attacks into Colmar again, this time with some feeling. GE VII fights them off after 5 ugly rounds, with the French taking the worst of it.

FR II attacks Metz, but it is just a spoiling attack lasting 3 rounds. French retreat.

FR V conducts a probing attack at Guise, which lasts only 1 round. GE II counter-attacks into Maubuege, but only lasts 2 rounds.

GE I (main Army) continues to be the main effort. GE I main body attacks the BEF in Arras. Battle goes 8 rounds with the English retreating after reaching 3 RP. Germans are banged up as well and don't have any reserves for a breakthrough. The BEF retreats East to Douai.

GE III activates and hits the BEF in Douai. Battle goes 7 rounds but Germans have to retreat, even though the Brits are at 0 RP and 0 Munitions.

GE IV tries again at Longwy and this time succeeds. Battle goes 6 rounds before FR IV Army retreats. Both sides are badly hurt, but French took a lot of OOC results.

East Front

See image. AH attacks in Red. Russians in Blue.

RU III makes the Russians lone attack, from Rava Russka toward Przemysl. Russians retreat after 4 rounds, but cause some damage to AH II Army.

Germans are down to 7 RP now, so AH takes the lead in the East for attacks.

AH I attacks first and takes 2 areas without incident, but one corps advances and gets intercepted by strong Russian forces from the fresh RU V Army. Lone AH corps is placed OOC, and then Russians counter-attack and take San, opening a hole in the AH line I'll have to deal with.

AH II pulls back to close the line and cover Lemberg.

AH III launches another major attack, this one to try to push back RU VIII. They succeed after just 2 rounds, and then breakthrough with cavalry to take another area near Cernowitz.

GE X and GE IX make plodding advances into Poland. They are slowed by the need to convert rails.

Balkans / Near East Front

AH V attacks out of Belgrade and goes 5 rounds against the Serbs, but take the worst of it and pull back to Belgrade before the snow sets in.

The TU II and TU III Army attacks in the Caucusus mountains. TU II advances and takes the coastal city and port of Batum against no opposition. TU III does not fair as well in the mountains attacking Kars, but hangs in there for 3 rounds before falling back.

Naval Action

During the Entente turn, the English Home Fleet comes out and finds what is left of the German Scouting Fleet. After 2 rounds the remains of the German North Sea fleet arrive as reinforcements. Germans were already damaged from last month, so they take the worst of it against the British Dreadnaughts. Germans lose Koenig, Gross-Kurfurst, Markgraf, Oldenburg, Seydiltz, and Moltke. Painful. British lose 5 ships, but mostly smaller ones. Germans don't have much left in the North Sea now. Probably a big mistake coming out at all given the lack of control players have in computer LGG once a battle starts.

Siege Action

Antwerp siege: German siege guns neutralize the fort, the garrison is taken out in the second round, and then the fort falls with one more assault. :thumbsup:

Comments

The French and BEF have kept the Germans out of Paris so far, and have actually done better than the historic result. About the best I can hope for is to get Maubuege and hold Arras. Going to be a long war...

End Status:
GE 5RP 0MUN 31NW
AH 18RP 0MUN 30NW
TU 23RP 8MUN 26NW
Attachments
Oct 14 Antwerp Falls.jpg
Oct 14 Caucusus.jpg
Oct 14 Galicia.jpg
Oct 14 West Front.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

November-December 1914

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:38 am

November-December 1914

Events

Germans get hit with yet another strike (that makes 2). Not good.

But...CP draws "Propaganda", which is always handy.

CP then plays "Bruchmueller" and "Diplomacy" on Germany.

Technology and Diplomacy

CP then gets 2 nice technology results: "Light Machine Guns" discovered in Germany and AH helps out by discovering "German Technologies". The later, in particular, is a big help this early in the game. :cool:

In diplomacy, Germany sends the big guns (a 2 and 3 Amb) to Romania and gets a nice +2 result out of it. Romania now at level 9 (enters war with CP at level 12). Stays "Right of Passage" for now.

Military Phase

CP has the initiative and moves first. But, Germany is down to only 7 RP after having to repair so many corps last turn. Germans are also down to just 5 MUN, and have to save some for sieges. AH is doing a bit better at 15 RP / 12 MUN, and will be asked to carry the load again this turn, in the snow.

West Front (see image)

GE II attacks FR V at Maubeuge, yet again. This time the space falls after just 3 rounds.

GE III attacks the English at Douai. Battle goes 5 rounds, but English stand firm with their last 2 corps, so Germans retreat.

GE IV moves up 2 corps to finally create a continuous front for the Germans.

FR I conducts a probe (1 round) at Colburg, with minimal damage to either side.

No other attacks by the Entente in the West.

East Front (See image)

AH II counterattacks at San (near Przemsyl) and the Russians retreat after 3 rounds. Doesn't do much damage, but firms up the AH line going into the interphase and redeployment.

GE VIII pushes up to the border of East Prussia, but does not trigger any battles.

GE IX pushes ahead and takes the objective city of Lodz without a fight.

RU II conducts the only Russian attacks, counterattacking at Lodz for 4 rounds, but then breaking off the attack after taking 4 corps OOC.

Other Fronts (see image)

TU II spreads out its front toward Kars and meets no opposition.

TU III attacks RU X again at Kars. The mountains + snow make things hard on the attacker and the Turks retreat after 4 rounds.

AH V attacks the Serbs again but continues to fair poorly even with arty support. AH V retreats back to Belgrade after 4 rounds and 3 corps OOC and one flipped.

Siege Results

GE II Army has 2 siege guns at Maubeuge and uses them to good effect, blowing away the fort on the first try. :thumbsup:

End of Turn

Belgium Surrenders at the end of the turn! (see image) A nice surprise for the CP and quite unexpected. GE, AH, and TU get a nice NW bump.

GE 2RP 2MUN 31NW 7 Losses / Parliament at +2
AH 14RP 2MUN 30NW 11 Losses / Parliament at +2
TU 23RP 10MUN 26NW 0 Losses / Parliament at +1

Comments

A turn with little action as weather and lack of RP conspire to constrain both sides. Both sides are also now in "Transition to Trenches", making things even harder for the attacker. However, in terms of NW, all three CP powers are in relatively good shape going into the Interphase. During early 1915, Germans will try to grab Calais in the West before the front totally locks, and in the East will continue to push toward Warsaw, with AH putting pressure on the Russians all along the front, but focused toward Ivangorod. Turks will just try to hold what they have as they start to endure desertions and negative automatic events.
Attachments
Nov 14 BE Surrender.jpg
Nov 14 Turks.jpg
Nov 14 GE East.jpg
Nov 14 AH East.jpg
Nov 14 West.jpg

Johnny Canuck

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:47 am

Great AAR, dougbush93. It's interesting to see how quickly the French reacted to the sweep through Belgium. It certainly would be nice to still be able to grab Calais, and do you have the corps to push forward into the gap in the French lines along the Meuse? Capturing Rheims would certainly be nice, and it might force the French to retire a bit from their line west of Verdun.

dougbush93
Captain

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:Great AAR, dougbush93. It's interesting to see how quickly the French reacted to the sweep through Belgium. It certainly would be nice to still be able to grab Calais, and do you have the corps to push forward into the gap in the French lines along the Meuse? Capturing Rheims would certainly be nice, and it might force the French to retire a bit from their line west of Verdun.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the AI "fills the line" between the front near Paris and Verdun, or goes stupid and leaves it open. The AI in general seems to be doing better with all the settings maxed out, including in individual battles where it seems much more willing to take losses.

dougbush93
Captain

Winter 1914 - Interphase

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:40 am

Winter 1914 - Interphase

Germany

Start of Interphase: 2RP / 2MUN / 31NW / 7 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

War Loan - Succeeds (+1NW)
Restore Order x 2 - Both attempts fail (-2NW)
War Econ x 2 - Both attempts pass (Econ to level 5) (-8 NW)
Military Cooperation - Succeeds (+1NW)

Parliament Check:

Passes, stays at +2

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 35 points (AH will pay 5)
Munitions to 8 / turn

Builds:

4 x 564 Corps (in 4 turns)
4 x Arty
1 x Lutzow BC block
1 x U-105 Sub
3 x U-Boats
1 x 3 Amb
1 x 2 Mine
1 x 1 Mine

Notes:
Germans are banged up, so I only build non-Army corps, which I can send anywhere, but will probably go East. Germans focus on building arty and U-boats.

NW Changes:
Losses(7) -1
Political Events -8 total (2 x war econ hurt)
Conquests +2
Strikes -2
Parliament Level +2
Lodz Captured +2
Civ Production Level 7 +4
Belgium Surrenders +2
Blockade +2NW / +15 EP

Total +14 - 12 = +2NW (should be)

Final Stats: 2 RP / 2 MUN / 31 NW* / Parl +2 / RP Flow 12 / MUN Flow 8

*I must have missed another -2NW somewhere. It's not hard to do, since the interphase results are mixed between message boxes and the message scroll.

Austria-Hungary

Start of Interphase: 14RP / 2MUN / 30NW / 11 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

War Loan - Succeeds (+1NW)
New Leader - Succeeds (+1NW)
War Econ x 1 - Succeeds (-4NW, Econ to Level 7)
Military Cooperation - Succeeds (+1NW)

Parliament Check:

Passes, stays at +2

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 5 points
Munitions to 2 / turn

Builds:

2 x 564 Corps (in 4 turns)
1 x 454 Corps (in 3 turns)
1 x Arty
1 x 2 Amb

Notes:
AH only builds 3 corps, which will give me an RP flow of 9, which hopefully will be enough to get units healthy before the summer. AH Mun flow ramps up VERY slowly, staying at 2 / turn until you get down to econ level 6, and even then (this coming summer) it will only be 6 per turn.

NW Changes:
Losses(11) -2
Political Events -1 total
Conquests +0
Parliament Level +2
Civ Production Level 8 +4
Belgium Surrenders +2
Blockade +0 NW / +5 EP

Total +8 - 3 = +5NW (calculation looks right for AH)

Final Stats: 14 RP / 0 MUN / 35 NW / Parl +2 / RP Flow 9 / MUN Flow 2

Turkey

Start of Interphase: 23RP / 10MUN / 26NW / 0 Losses / Parl +0

Political Actions:

Strengthen Parliament x 2 - Both fail (-2 NW)

Parliament Check:

Fail, Parliament to -1 (not good)

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 0 points
Munitions to 2 / turn (max rate, never goes up)

Builds:

3 x 564 Corps (in 4 turns)
2 x Arty (these are "free" as part of mobilization schedule)
2 x 336 Cav (2 more freebies)

Notes:
Turks can't do much in interphase, except a few political actions and slowly build up the large number of corps left to create.

NW Changes:

Parliament Level -1
Political Events -2 net
Belgium Surrenders +2

Total +2 - 2 = -1NW* (I'm off by 4 this time. NW went up 3? Not sure why.)

Final Stats: 23 RP / 10 MUN / 29 NW / Parl -1 / RP flow 7 / MUN Flow 2

Redeployment

Not much to show, but see attached for German redeployment in West. GE XIII and GE III are shifted out to the German channel end of the line, allowing GE I and GE II to concentrate in the center, where they will try to push to Reims during the Spring turns.

However, the image shows the trouble the AI continues to have with the redeployment phase. The British armies don't move at all, leaving Calais undefended. FR V and some random corps pile up in one space, and the French leave a 5 space wide hole in the middle of the line. :bonk:

-Doug
Attachments
Jan 15 Redeploy West.jpg

PhilThib

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:33 am

Great :thumbsup: :coeurs:

Johnny Canuck

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:40 am

dougbush93 wrote:However, the image shows the trouble the AI continues to have with the redeployment phase. The British armies don't move at all, leaving Calais undefended. FR V and some random corps pile up in one space, and the French leave a 5 space wide hole in the middle of the line. :bonk:

-Doug

Too bad about the AI. :( I encountered a similar thing in my current game as the CP. As of the September '14 turn, the AI did not have a single unit between Paris & Briey, allowing me to occupy Rheims with a single Ersatz Korps and begin a siege of Verdun without a fight.

Clovis

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 am

AI is better without FOW for it and in WEGO mode.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

dougbush93
Captain

January 1915

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:01 am

January 1915

Events

CP draws "Laffargue". Won't be playing that one. No other events occur.

Technology and Diplomacy

No luck on any CP technologies.

In diplomacy, things don't go so well. CP does a diplo test in Italy, but a bad roll generates a -3 result, so Italy goes to Level 0. Then, the Entente does a test in Japan and succeeds in bringing Japan into the war.

Military Phase

After burning a lot of RP to fix up some units, Germany is down to just a 3 RP, so no major efforts are in order this turn, but CP will try to move forward in the "gap" in the French line (see image) and maybe grab Calais.

West Front (see image)

GE XIII - Grabs Calais without any opposition. It's a star city, so I'll get a nice little NW bonus at the end of the turn.

GE II - Moves 1 space towards Reims, which now appears totally undefended? The AI strikes again. Germany will get more NW bonus for taking a region, without firing a single shot.

FR III - French launch an unexpected attack into the mountains at Saarbourg, and after 3 rounds of fighting with GE VI retreat after taking heavy losses.

FR IV - Probing attack at Longwy against GE IV, only lasts 1 round.

No other attacks by the Entente in the West.

East Front

The East Front is quiet, with the AH and Germans both saving their strength and rebuilding, and the Russians are surprisingly quiet.

Other Fronts

Again, not much action in the bad weather.

TUII edges back toward Batum now that several Russian corps have finally shown up in the area, including some RU X units that are moving toward the coast threatening to cut off TU II. Might be time to pull them back. (see image)

Not much going on in Africa (see image), but Germany has consolidated its 3 cruiser fleets in East Africa. Getting them back to Germany is another issue. I may also try to send them to Austria to help out in the Adriatic.

Siege Results

No active sieges this turn.

End of Turn

A very quiet turn, which one would expect given the weather. However, the French and Great Britain both get New Governments. Also, all 3 CP powers move to Firepower Doctrine at the end of the turn.

GE 1RP 6MUN 33NW 4 Losses / Parliament at +2
AH 16RP 2MUN 35NW 0 Losses / Parliament at +2
TU 24RP 12MUN 29NW 0 Losses / Parliament at +0

Comments: Germans are low on RP, but AH and TU are in (relatively) great shape, but it's going to be a long war.
Attachments
Jan 15 Africa.jpg
Jan 15 Caucuses Front.jpg
Jan 15 West Front.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

March-April 1915

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:31 am

March-April 1915

Events

CP draws "Clemenceau" and will sit on that one for a long time, if possible.

AH gets hit with a Strike. Ugh.

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:
GE - Chlorine Gas - No
GE - Mortars A - No
AH - Engines - No
TU - Mortars B - Yes

Nice surprise from the Turks on the mortars, can't hurt. Not sure how sharing will work though.

Diplomacy:

CP Diplo Test in Romania -> +2 to CP, brings Romania into the war with the CP! GR goes -2 to 0, BU also goes -2 to 0

ENT Diplo Test in Italy -> +1 to CP result, Italy at Level +1

Good diplo phase for the CP...

Military Phase

Entente has the initiative. AH is in great shape on RP and MUN, so Germans will let the AH push hard on the Russians, while probing forward in the East. In the West, German armies will seek to avoid combats, but move forward into undefended areas in central France.

I also took the FOW off for the AI, in an effort to help it out. We'll see.

West Front (see image)

Entente Armies shuffle about a bit, including FR III moving a couple corps back to the West of Verdun into "the gap", but no attacks by French or Brits.

GE XIII - Pushes forward into Arras and another undefended area north of the Somme

GE II - Takes Reims without firing a shot

GE IV - Detaches 1 corp to try to get around the flank of the French units piling up near Longwy

GE V - Sends one corps across the river and into the St. Mihel area, but does not generate any combat.

East Front

No RU army attacks, just some shuffling around near Ivangorod

GE VIII - Attacks RU IX at Colno. Russians stand firm and Germans retreat after 7 rounds having lost 4RP. Russians lose 5RP.

GE X - Attacks RU IX at Mlawa. Russians defend well. GE X retreats after 4 rounds.

AH I & II (coordinate) - Both armies push into Russian Poland, with AH I fighting a brutal 7 round battle near Ivangorod, losing 5RP in the process and are forced to retreat. The attack does seem to help AH II advance unopposed. (see image)

AH IV - Attacks due East, attacking the RU III Army. RU III has good units in it, and turn back the Austrians after 3 bloody rounds. AH loses 3RP. RU lose none.

AH III - Just repositions main body across the river to set up an attack in May or June on RU VIII

Other Fronts

RO I just gets organized. I will send the HQ and most of the Corps toward the Russian border next turn.

TU Armies all hunker down in the poor weather and save munitions.

Balkans are quiet, with AH V and AH VI having taken Belgrade and Montenegro (see image) and waiting for better weather.

Entente does send the English fleet with the BC Indefatigable all the way from Australia to the Indian Ocean near East Africa, where they intercept Adm. Spee and his small fleet consisting of the AC Scharnhorst and 2 cruisers. In the resulting battle, the Indefatigable quickly sinks the Scharnhorst and kills Admiral Spee, who goes down with his ship after 2 rounds :( (see image). Other German cruisers scratch some paint on the English cruisers, but take the worst of it and slink back to Ost Afrika.

Siege Results

No active sieges this turn.

End of Turn

GE 3RP 3MUN 38NW 8 Losses / Parliament at +2
AH 17RP 0MUN 28NW 15 Losses / Parliament at +2
TU 24RP 14MUN 29NW 0 Losses / Parliament at +0

Comments: Germany gets +6 NW from snatching up undefended areas in France, each of which is now +1 NW in Firepower Doctrine. :thumbsup:
Attachments
March 15 Adm Spee Elim.jpg
March 15 East.jpg
March 15 Balkans.jpg
March 15 West.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

May 1915

Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:09 am

May 1915

Events

CP draws "Radio Codes" and holds it for now.

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:
GE - Chlorine Gas - No
GE - Mortars A - No
AH - Land Mines - Yes
AH - Engines - Yes

AH labs get cranked up and produce 2 nice techs.

Diplomacy:

CP Diplo Test in Holland -> HOL +3 to 10 (Highest Level)

ENT Diplo Test in Bulgaria -> BU -1 to -1

Military Phase

Entente has initiative.

West Front (see image)

FR I, IV, III retreat and start to try to close the gap in the line. FR IV moves into Verdun, holding a key spot. FR III tries to break out from its near encirclement toward St. Mihel, but only goes 1 round w/ 1 corps and retreats. FR I retreats from Epinal, leaving it undefended. AI is not making any use of rail movement, it seems. Weather is muddy all along the front.

GE IV takes the Argonne region, which is undefended. It closes the line, and now FR III is nearly cut off.

GE VII sends 1 corps to Epinal, and the seige begins. GE VII has no arty though, so it will be a long siege until my new siege arty shows up, or I can shift the one I have from GE II to GE VII.

East Front (See image)

Again, no RU attacks. They are being very passive, despite being in good political and RP shape. Germany decides to launch a mini-grand offensive by sending VIII, IX, and X Armies into the attack. AH will launch 1 attack in support. Weather is muddy all along the front.

GE VIII - Advances one area forward, without fighting.

AH III - Attacks RU VIII at the far south end of the line. AH goes 3 rounds and takes 3 corps OOC, and decides its too expensive to continue. The RU Guards corps is in RU VIII, so that's going to be a tough Army to deal with.

AH II - Does not attack, but sends 1 corps forward to grab Lubin, which is undefended, for some reason. There is an AI "death star" of about 6 detachments just south of Ivangorod, and they do nothing.

GE IX - Attacks RU II at Kolo and goes 7 tough rounds. GE take 1 corps DO and 3 others flip, while the Russians take 2 OOC and 2 DO, but have sufficient reserves to hold the line for 7 rounds. Germans retreat and are now down to 6 RP / 4 Mun. However, with that attack fixing RU II in Kolo, one corps from GE IX is able to move in behind the Russian Army, and almost has them cut off (see image).

GE X - 6 RP / 4 Mun is enough for one more good attack, so GE X attacks RU IX in Rypin. Combat goes 6 rounds and the Germans and Russians both take a beating. Germans take 3 corps OOC (must have had some REALLY bad morale rolls) and the Russians take 2 OOC / 2 DO, but again have reserves available.

Other Fronts

RO I Army finally gets some forces up to the border with Russia, but no action ensures.

TU II Army counter-attacks the Russians in the mountains near Batum (in the Artrin region). Battle goes 7 tough rounds, with the Russians hanging on at the end with 1 Georgian mountain corps that just won't retreat. Turks take 4 corps DO and lose 4 RP, but make a good showing given the bad weather, mountains, and lack of arty (due to come in for TU II and TU III this summer).

TU III does not attack, but sneaks a corps into the mountains behind the RU X Army element TU II just attacked.

Balkans are quiet, again. AH is content to hold Belgrade and Montenegro for now.

Siege Results

Epinal siege shows no results yet. Germans just wait out the defenders.

End of Turn

Going into interphase, so no stats to show yet.

-Doug
Attachments
May 15 Caucuses.jpg
May 15 East.jpg
May 15 West.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

Spring 1915 - Interphase

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:05 am

Spring 1915 - Interphase

Germany

Start of Interphase: 0RP / 0MUN / 37NW / 15 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

Leader - Yes, +1NW
Loan - Yes, +1NW
Restore Order x 3 - Yes on all 3, +3NW
Sub Warfare - Yes, +1NW
War Econ - Yes, -4NW, Econ to Level 4

Clean sweep on political events...

Parliament Check:

Passes, stays at +2

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 30 points (AH will pay 10)
Munitions to 18 / turn (should be a big advantage this summer)

Builds:

1 x 674 in 4 (XIV Army)
1 x 564 in 4 (XIV Army)
1 x Arty
1 x Siege Arty
1 x Aircraft

Can't build more U-Boats b/c previous ones arriving in June(?) Thought I should be able to build 3 x interphase regardless.

NW Changes:
Losses(15) -2
Blockade -1 (10EP / -1 NW)
Political Events +2 Net
Conquests +3
Strikes -1
Parliament Level +2
Civ Production Level 5 +2
Argonne Captured +1

Total +9 - 4 = +5NW to 40NW -2NW (Length of War) = 38NW

Final Stats: 0 RP / 0 MUN / 37 NW* / Parl +2 / RP Flow 14 / MUN Flow 18

* I missed one somewhere? Still, its very close.

Austria-Hungary

Start of Interphase: 14RP / 2MUN / 28NW / 6 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

War Econ - Yes (-4NW)
Restore Order - No (-1NW)
Leader - No (-1NW)
Loan - Yes (+1NW)

Parliament Check:

Passes, stays at +2

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 10 points
Munitions to 2 / turn

Builds:

1 x Arty
1 x Aircraft
1 x Mountain 564 Corps

NW Changes:

Losses(6) -1
Political Events -5 total
Conquests +0
Lubin Captured +1
Strike -1
Parliament Level +2
Civ Production Level 7 +3
Blockade +0 NW

Total +6 - 7 = 27NW -2 (Length of War) = 25NW

Final Stats: 14 RP / 0 MUN / 24 NW* / Parl +2 / RP Flow 11 / MUN Flow 2

* Off by 1 for some reason.

Turkey

Start of Interphase: 20RP / 16MUN / 29NW / 0 Losses / Parl +0

Political Actions:

Strengthen Parliament x 1 - No (-1NW)

Parliament Check:

Pass, stays at +0

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 0 points

Builds:

1 x Siege Arty
1 x Aircraft

Notes:

Turks have a lot of corps to build, but they are grayed out for some reason? Possible bug? Kind of odd.

NW Changes:

Parliament Level +0
Political Events -1 net
Blockade +2 (Turkey got a +20EP blockade message, which = +2NW? Didn't think blockade applied?) :confused:

Total +2 -1 = +1NW = 29NW

Final Stats: 20 RP / 16 MUN / 30 NW* / Parl +0 / RP flow 10 / MUN Flow 2

* Off by 1 this time. Something I'm missing.

-Doug

dougbush93
Captain

June 1915

Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 am

June 1915

Events

CP draws "Fog", "Diplomacy", and "Sixte Bourbon"

I play "Diplomacy" on the AH, and "Radio Codes" on Germany

Mandatory event "Rebellion" hits Russians in Azerbajian

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:

GE - Chlorine Gas - No
GE - Mortars A - No
AH - Light Bombs - Yes
AH - Medium MGs - Yes
TU - Trucks - No

AH continue their research success tear. :cool:

Diplomacy:

CP does a test on Bulgaria and get a nice +3 result, BU to +2

Entente tests Italy and gets a stunning -4 result. This despite 2 x 3 Ambs from Germany there. D'Annunzio must have helped the Entente. Italy to -3, just one away from joining the Entente. :(

Military Phase

Entente has initiative.

West Front (see image)

FR IV finally moves, abandoning Verdun and moving to the West to cover the hole in the line near Reims.

No other FR or BR activity of note

GE IV advances and puts Verdun under siege, which also surrounds what is left of FR III in Biery.

East Front (See image)

Russians sit tight and don't move or attack. Germans are launching a Grand Offensive next turn, so they will let the AH do the lifting this month.

AH IV attacks RU III at Rava Ruska. Battle goes 7 full rounds before AH has to retreat. AH takes the worst of it with 11 Losses / 5 RP lost. Russians lose about 4RP, but do take losses each round.

AH I attacks RU IV at Ostrowiec. Attacks goes only 3 rounds and AH gives up after 3 x DO / OOC results. 6 losses / 3 RP. Russians don't lose any RP, and only take 2 losses. Painful.

RO I attacks Russian cav in Bessarabia in 2 areas. One battle goes 3 rounds and the other just 1, with the Russians retreating.

Other Fronts

TU Fleet does a successful naval raid at Odessa, scoring 2EP hits on the Russians.

TU II attacks into the mountains at Artrim (see image), winning after 3 rounds.

TU III then attacks the RU X Army in Kars, generating a major battle. Turks win one sub-battle in 2 rounds, and the other one in 5 rounds. They march into Kars with great fanfare, I'm sure. :turc:

Siege Results

Epinal falls to a siege w/o an assault. Great result for the CP. :dada:

Verdun is bombarded, but with no effect.

Lomza is bombarded by GE VIII army arty and eliminated.

Suwalki remains under siege by GE XII army

End of Turn

Final Stats:
GE 4RP /18MUN / 38NW
AH 11RP / 4MUN / 21NW
TU 19RP / 15MUN / 31NW

-Doug
Attachments
June 15-2 Turks.jpg
June 15-2 West.jpg
June 15-2 RO East.jpg
June 15-2 AH East.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

July 1915

Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 am

July 1915

Events

CP draws Fokker (sweet...), Neutral Ships, and Supplemental Munitions. I play all three. AH gets the munitions.

Then the Lusitania gets sunk (oops), USA goes down to 17. There's another rebellion in Azerbajian (happened twice?).

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:

GE - Chlorine Gas - Yes (finally)
GE - Mortars A - No
AH - Mounted MGs - Yes
TU - Trucks - No

Diplomacy:

Only action is a test on Greece by the CP. Goes +2 to +1. Good result. For some reason the Entente leaves Italy (at -3) alone? Weird.

Military Phase

CP has the initiative.

West Front (see image)

GE I - advances and takes the Soissons region, which is undefended.

GE IV - attacks the isolated French III Army in Biery. Germans can only manage 4 rounds once it is obvious the isolated Army is getting reinforcements from GHQ and is using RP? A bug, it appears. :bonk: Still, French take some casualties.

GE VI - attacks FR II Army at Val de Moselle salient. Major battle ensues. Germans only attack for 3 rounds and take a beating.

FR III - attacks even though isolated against GE V in St. Mihel region. Only lasts 1 round, then French retreat.

FR I - elements in Belfort attack GE VII at Epinal. Goes 3 rounds, but French take the worst of it and retreat.

FR IV - attacks GE I HQ in Caronne region. Goes 5 rounds and French take serious losses and retreat.

East Front (See image)

CP starts a general offensive all along the line, including a Grand Offensive attack by GE IX Army.

GE IX - starts Grand Offensive attacking RU II Army near Lodz. Germans succeed in researching Heavy Bombardments, then get a good prelim bombardment. Major battle starts, with the Russians retreating after 4 rounds of getting hammered (DO, OOC, OOC, DO results on the Russians). :thumbsup: During breakthrough, Germans send 2 corps into the breakthrough area. Battle goes 6 rounds, with both sides taking heavy losses. The Germans retreat back to the original target area.

GE VIII - Launches supporting attack at Razan against RU XII Army. Germans go 4 rounds, and take 2 corps DO. Russians take 3 corps OOC.

GE XI - does not attack, but moves a cavalry corps to encircle a large number of Russians near Ivangorod.

AH IV - attacks RU III again at Rava Ruska. This time, the Austrians win the battle after 5 rounds. Russians are now down to 8 RP.

GE Ost See Fleet - conducts a successful naval raid on Libau. -2EP for the Russians.

Other Fronts

AH will take advantage of the good weather to beat on the Serbs a bit (see image)

AH V - attacks Serbs adjacent to Belgrade on the rail line and take the area, and get one more space with the breakthrough. Serb Army is now divided in two parts.

AH VI - attacks lone Mont. Corps in the mountains along the Adriatic. They quickly win after 2 rounds, with the lone Mont. corps going OOC.

TU III - attacks Artik region near Kars, defended by RU X Army. Turks win after just 3 rounds, with the Russians retreating (see image).

TU IV - launches a probling attack in the Sinai against BR V Army. Turks attack 3 rounds, losing 2 RP. English lose just 1.

TU II - does not attack but moves a corps via sea transport to reinforce the garrison at Batum.

TU Fleet - conducts a successful naval raid (-2EP on Russia) in the Sotchi region far over in the Eastern Black Sea.

Siege Results

Verdun - The fort is neutralized by the bombardment, and the Germans take the fort after 2 assault rounds! :turc:

Suwalki - GE XII Army continues the siege

Ivangorod - AH bombard and elim the fort in one shot! :dada:

End of Turn

End of turn sees Russia suffer from a "General Strike" in Petrograd.

FR III Army is eliminated in Biery. Presumably from isolation.

Final Stats:

GE 0RP / 3MUN / 40NW (got a big bump from the Grand Offensive win)
AH 7RP / 0MUN / 21NW
TU 17RP / 14MUN / 22NW

-Doug
Attachments
July 15 Caucuses.jpg
July 15 Balkans.jpg
July 15 East.jpg
July 15 West.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

August 1915

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:47 pm

August 1915

Events

CP draws Poliavanov and Masaryk. Will sit on both, obviously.

Only mandatory event is "Rasputin", who heads for Petrograd.

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:

GE - Trench Mortars A - No
GE - Stosstruppen - No
AH - Fuel Tanks - No
AH - Aerial Radios - Yes
TU - Trucks - No

Diplomacy:

CP does a test on Persia, gets a +3 result which brings Persia into the war on the CP side (they provide a 3 corps expeditionary force to the Turks, plus a couple RP / turn).

Entente tests Italy, but gets a +3 result, which moves Italy back to 0. I think D'Annunzio did his thing again, but in favor of the CP?

Military Phase

CP has the initiative.

West Front (see image)

Not much action in the West, as the Germans conserve RP and the French and English don't attack much.

GE IV - Does not take any new terrain, but reorganizes and consolidates the new line now that Verdun has fallen. GE IV also gets a siege arty unit from GE II Army in case it is needed at Toul.

FR I - Continues to pull back and abandons Belfort.

FR III - Moves over to cover Toul, finally.

FR V - Launches a probing attack with 1 corps against GE I Army that only lasts 1 round

FR VI - Also launches a probe, this time against GE XIII. Only goes 1 round.

East Front (See image)

GE IX - Continues the Grand Offensive with an attack on RU II Army. Selection screen shows "massive bombardment" available, but then no bombardment appears to go off? Germans also select "jumps" as tactic. Russians are in no mood to fight. Sub-battle A lasts only 1 round, and Sub-battle B lasts 3 rounds. Germans breakthrough to put the fort at Novo Georg. under siege.

GE VIII - Advances 1 corps to put Russian fort at Oswiecz under siege.

GE Baltic Fleet conducts a successful raid on the Russian coast.

RU Independent corps launches a suicidal attack to try to break out of the Ivangorod pocket. AH I elims the Russian corps in one round.

Other Russian Armies move around some corps, in an attempt to close some holes in the line.

Other Fronts

In the Balkans (see image), AH V keeps the pressure on the Serbs by attacking across the Morava toward the Romanian border. Serbs retreat after just 1 round.

Serbian I Army launches 2 weak counter-attacks against AH V at Rosnai and AH VI at Velika Plana. Both only last 1 round.

TU IV Army pulls back from the Sinai border and detaches 2 corps to head for the Hedjaz, which I just noticed has a revolt underway. (see image)

Persian Army advances into undefended Azerbaijan, just for fun. May need to go back though b/c I left Persia undefended.

TU Fleet tries a naval raid and fails.

Siege Results

Suwalki - Finally falls to GE XII siege!

Novo Greogiewsh - Bombardment has no effect

Oswiecz - Bombardment has no effect

End of Turn

Ivangorod pocket - About 10 Russian corps and at least 1 Army HQ are eliminated due to isolation, surrendering in mass. (See red circles on East Front image) There is now a huge hole in the Russian line between Warsaw and RU V Army. :thumbsup:

Final Stats / Comments:

Going into the interphase, here is how things look -

GE 2RP / 16MUN / 40NW / 6 Losses / 20EP / CP @ 4 / Parliament +2
AH 8RP / 3MUN / 20NW / 2 Losses / 20EP / CP @ 6 / Parliament +2
TU 30RP / 16MUN / 22NW / 0 Losses / 8EP / CP @ 0 / Parliament -1

RU 11RP / 2MUN / 0NW / 10 Losses / -15EP / CP @ 6 / Parliament +0
FR 16RP / 21MUN / 8NW / 2 Losses / 8EP / CP @ 5 / Parliament +0
EN 12RP / 33MUN / 37NW / 0 Losses / -102EP / CP @ 9 / Parliament +2

On the CP side, things are going very well. The AH managed to squeak through the turn without going below 20NW, so hopefully they can get a nice plus up in the interphase and avoid burning a new government action.

On the Entente side, the French and Russians are in very bad shape for NW. Parliaments look shaky as well. However, the French are in good shape for RP. England has done nothing all year, so its stats look great.

-Doug
Attachments
Aug 15 Sinai.jpg
Aug 15 Balkans.jpg
Aug 15 East.jpg
Aug 15 West.jpg

dougbush93
Captain

Fall 1915 Interphase

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Fall 1915 - Interphase

Germany

Start of Interphase: 2RP / 16MUN / 40NW / 6 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

Leader - Yes, +1NW (I get Hoffman)
Loan - Yes, +1NW
Conscripts - Yes, +1NW
Sub Warfare 2 - No, -1NW

Didn't get the all-out sub wafare just yet.

Parliament Check:

Fails, goes to +1

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 30 points (AH will pay 10)
Munitions to 25 / turn

Builds:

2 x 674 in 4
1 x 664 in 4
1 x 784 in 4
3 x U-Boats
2 x Siege Arty

NW Changes:

Losses(6) -1
Blockade ? (I didn't get any message at all?)
Political Events +2 Net
Conquests +3
Parliament Level +1
Civ Production Level 4 +2
Build BC +1 (Derflinger)

Final NW = 34. I had a -2 Length of War, so there were -4 additional that I can't explain. Maybe from the blockade?

Final Stats: 2 RP / 16 MUN / 34 NW / Parl +1 / RP Flow 12 / MUN Flow 25

Austria-Hungary

Start of Interphase: 8RP / 3MUN / 20NW / 2 Losses / Parl +2

Political Actions:

Restore Order - No (-1NW)
Leader - No (-1NW)
Loan - Yes (+1NW)
NW - No (+0NW)

Parliament Check:

Fails, goes to +1

Tech / Munitions:

Tech to 10 points
Munitions to 6 / turn

Builds:

4 x 454 in 4
1 x BB block
1 x SS
2 x Amb
2 x Mines

NW Changes:

Political Events -1 Net
Strike -1
Parliament Level +1
Civ Production Level 6 +3
Blockade +0

Final NW = 25 - I'm not sure where the extra +3 came from

Final Stats: 8 RP / 3 MUN / 25 NW / Parl +1 / RP Flow 8 / MUN Flow 6

Turkey

Start of Interphase: 32RP / 16MUN / 22NW / 0 Losses / Parl -1

Political Actions:

Strengthen Parliament x 1 - No (-1NW)

Parliament Check:

Pass, stays at -1

Tech / Munitions:

Builds:

1 x 444 Corps in 4

NW Changes:

Parliament Level -1
Political Events -1 net
Rebellions -1
Conquests +1
Blockade +1

Final NW = 20 (looks right)

Final Stats: 32 RP / 16 MUN / 20 NW / Parl -1 / RP flow 11 / MUN Flow 2

-Doug

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:46 am

Hey Doug-is the war still on?

dougbush93
Captain

September 1915

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:33 pm

September 1915

I upgraded the game at this point to 1.06d, to test out the new patch.

Events

Armenian Genocide event finally shows up. -5NW to Turks. Ouch.

Nationalist Uprising in Germany, which will require sending some corps to avoid the NW hit

CP draws "Kornilov" and will sit on it. CP plays "Propaganda" on Germany to move the Parliament back to +2.

Technology and Diplomacy

CP Tech Attempts:

GE - Trench Mortars A - No
GE - Stosstruppen - Yes
AH - Fuel Tanks - No
AH - Flamethrowers - No
TU - Trucks - No

Nothing exciting, but getting the Stoss tech could help a lot in 1916.

Diplomacy:

CP Tests Bulgaria and gets a nice +1 result. BU now at +3.

Entente Tests Holland, but CP has a 3 Amb there, so result is +0.

Military Phase

CP has the initiative.

West Front (see image)

GE III - Launches an attack on the British at Douai (in the rain), who have been sitting there unmolested the entire year. Germans win sub-battle B in just 2 rounds, but British (with French corps helping) hold on for all 7 rounds in sub-battle A. Lots of pain to go around, with GE losing 6RP, British 2RP, French 3RP.

GE VII - Advances and puts Belfort under siege, which the French abandoned last turn.

Entente Armies in the West are not active, with some shuffling around but no attacks.

East Front (See image)

GE IX - I shut down the Grand Offensive, mostly because GE XI and GE X have closed off the front by pushing forward on the flanks.

AH II - Attacks RU V at Crasnik, after building up some munitions for a couple of turns. Does not go well for the Austrians, although they do a lot of damage on the Russians, whose morale modifier is at -1 due to low NW (RU NW now is at -7!). AH wins Sub-Battle A in 5 tough rounds, but Russians hang on in Sub-Battle A for 7 rounds and AH has to retreat. AH loses 3RP, RU lose 5RP.

AH III - Attacks RU VIII at Podolsk, hoping that the Russians were worn down by the previous large battle. Russians retreat after just 1 round due to a panic / elim result (that -1 Morale mod is a killer). The AH gets a breakthrough at Kaminets with 2 corps, and the Russians again retreat after 1 round with a panic / elim result.

RO I - Romanians try to keep up the pressure on the Russians and attack the city of Kishinev. It is a minor battle, but the Russians hang on for 6 rounds. Then in round 7 the Russians take another Panic / Elim result and retreat. Romanians are beaten up taking 6RP in losses, so don't breakthrough.

Other Fronts

No action on the Serbian or Near-East Fronts

Siege Results

Novo Greogiewsh - Bombardment has no effect, again

Oswiecz - Bombardment reduces the fort, then it falls in 2 assault rounds

Belfort - Reduced by the bombardment, Germans don't risk an assault

End of Turn

Final Stats:

GE 4RP / 36MUN / 34NW / 14 Losses
AH 4RP / 2MUN / 25NW / 19 Losses
TU 28RP / 18MUN / 16NW / 0 Losses - TU will try new government

BR 10RP / 31MUN / 33NW / 4 Losses
RU 21RP / 7MUN / NW -7 / 24 Losses

Russians are in the hurt locker on NW, but seem to be hanging on for now.

Final Events:

Russians suffer from a muntiny! They lose -6NW more, to -13NW!

Russians surrender! (see image) I guess they suffered a poor stability check result and failed their capitulation test. :turc:

-Doug
Attachments
Sept 15 Russian Surrender.jpg
Sept 15 East.jpg
Sep 15 West.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Nice work with Russia. :thumbsup:
I will have to analyze your method. The earliest I have gotten Mother Russia to fold was in March/April of '16. That was with the "Molke" Plan too.

dougbush93
Captain

Game End / Final Thoughts

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 am

With a Russian Surrender in September 1915, almost 2 years earlier than was the historic case, I decide to end the game at this point. With Russia out of the game and Italy still not in with the Entente, the CP is in a great position to finish the war in 1916 by crushing France.

The game played well, with no CTDs. The AI was a bit better than in previous games as well. I had a ton of naval action early on, but the German North Sea Fleet was so heavily damaged that I had to park it. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken even the scout fleet out that early. Just too risky.

In the end, my strategy of putting maximum pressure on the Russians by getting Turkey and Romania in the war with the CP worked, it seems. The Russians got in a big National Will hole and never got out. I think what tipped them over the edge was the huge pocket of Russians I wiped out near Ivangorod in August 1915. The loss of 3 or 4 Army HQs and many corps got Russia below 0 NW, from which they didn't recover. Of course, the Russians were there b/c the AI left them there for some reason, even when the flanks were wide open, so I can't take much credit for that.

In the West, the Germans were not able to really break open the French line. The AI did a reasonable job of stopping me in 1914. However, the AI was not active at all, attacking weakly and not launching any grand offensive in the West at all. That continued even after I turned off all the fog of war in early 1915.

I played the AH very conservative, not attacking much in 1914, although they did have a large part of the line to hold in the East. Not having to also fight the Italians was a huge plus for the AH, and I only achieved that by just 1 diplomatic point (Italy went to -3 Diplo in May 1915, but in two diplo tests after that the Entente failed miserably and ended up moving Italy back toward the CP, somehow).

Overall, it was an enjoyable game. The Turks were fun to play with, although a bit overpowered b/c the attrition in the game manual was not in effect (next patch, I think). The basic mechanics of the game finally seem to be working, at long last. :thumbsup:

06 Maestro
General

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:01 am

106 D is a very good patch-I've been using it since it was released. The ai may be better, but it is still not a human.

As we both seem to be able to out do the ai, perhaps we should give a little MP game a shot-just for fun. :w00t: I'm interested to see how this game works in MP.

Some things we could do to make it more challenging would be to drop some of the messages so we don't know what techs have been accomplished by the enemy-what their diplo efforts are aiming for and so on-could be fun.

Whatever side you want is fine. We could even do some during action reviews here and at Matrix. Our first hook up could just be a test with 106D and we can wait for the next patch for the real war if you like.

What do you say?

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18 AARs”