dublish
Corporal

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 am

Romania joined the Entente? I guess A-H will have to spread its armies even more...

06 Maestro
General

Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:18 am

dublish wrote:Romania joined the Entente? I guess A-H will have to spread its armies even more...

Yep, Rumania has joined the T.E. In two turns they have not done anything threatening. All I have notice is a couple of units moving closer to Serbia. I was sort of ignoring Rumania just to see what it did. I do not think that they could get very far anyway regardless what the AI tries. I did move some Bulgarian units to important border locations, and am moving the main body of the Bulgarian Army into an attack location.

I have not sent any A/H forces into Rumania. I wanted to finish off Serbia, but they keep clinging on-there is almost nothing to cling to. After Serbia is completely occupied, Rumania will become the target for the A/H's.

Duckman
Sergeant

Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 pm

excellent aar maestro! truly well done, consider me a loyal reader ;)

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:53 am

Duckman wrote:excellent aar maestro! truly well done, consider me a loyal reader ;)

Thank you, Duckman- I appreciate that. I thought it would be entertaining both for myself and some others to see how this game plays. Its been a good fight except for some irrationally heroic efforts by the French early in the game.

This game has now been played through May 1916. I have some more screen shots, but am short on time for about 5 more days. I will make a good effort to finish this war-but some of the patch fixes will not apply to this saved game.

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 am

Serbia is now almost totally occupied, but they still have a few corps left. Most of their forces are in N.E. Serbia-perhaps the AI is attempting to link those units with the Rumanians which have sent forces to that frontier. The Serbs have at least one corp left in the Albanian area-it is moving into A/H territory-it will not last long.

The Greeks interred into the war on the side of the CP. I think this was due to an event played by the T.E. attempting a military coup in Greece which apparently did not go well.

Due to supply difficulties, the CP cannot just rush into the remaining territories-it will take some time, but the Serbs are no longer a threat. It is still a sore spot as long as it ties up A/H forces. It may take until the summer of '16 before the A/H Army can be redeployed. [ATTACH]5646[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Oct 15 Serbia Front.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:23 am

Russian front October '15

The Russians attacks were finally stopped. The situation map is not all telling. I know that there are Russian Armies/corps which are out of site, but near the front. I may be putting the CP forces into a defense mode for the winter. The gap in E. Prussia will be filled by units of the 12th Army in Konigsburg. This will weaken that city, but there is a large fortress there so it should be safe. The Russian AI did finally attack Konigsburg, but it held out-quite easily. [ATTACH]5647[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Oct 15 Eastt Front.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 am

Western Front October '15

France appears to be near the end-but looks are deceiving. Verdun has manged to hold out against a couple of light attacks by the 5th Army. This will take a while to work out. I will need to get some reinforcements to the 5th before trying again. The north eastern sector does have some holes in it, but I cannot rush units into the gaps without running into supply problems-not to mention the possibility of counter attack.

I am assuming that Germany now has a major advantage in being able to raise new units and ammo. With this in mind, I will simply tidy up the front by taking Verdun, Mulhouse and Epinal before next may. At that time an offensive will be launched that will take the Germans to the Mediterranean coast. I would assume that whatever T.E. units that are left in Flanders will be so weak in moral that the German Army ill be able to take them easily.

You can see some figures of civilians in Paris and Brussels. This is a good indication of stability problems in the T.E.

[ATTACH]5648[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Oct 15 West Front.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:27 am

Battle of Verdun May 1916

Verdun has finally fallen. This Province was surrounded for a long time, but never actually entered the "siege" stage until may of '16-after the non garrison units were destroyed. This belated victory has released the 5th Army for operations elsewhere. It will move by train and foot to its new position between the 4th Army (in Paris) and the 13th Army. This will be followed by a broad front attack into the south of France.

Note: During this period of time various French HQ's and perhaps some infantry units appeared in the province. This anomaly has been corrected in a patch, but it did not take hold in this saved game.

[ATTACH]5649[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Verdun.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:28 am

West Front May 1916

The German Supply situation is somewhat stabilized. The 5th and 7th Armies have finished their siege operations at Mulhouse and Verdun. The French effort to relieve Verdun was finally stopped and destroyed. The result is what looks like an overwhelming operational and strategic superiority over France.

The T.E. AI looks like it is massing for an attack on Paris. I am confident that German Reserves (which can now reach anyplace on the Western Front with ease) will be enough to hold Paris against this attack. The results of such a major battle like that will only speed the deterioration of France's position.

[ATTACH]5650[/ATTACH]
Attachments
west.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:31 am

I began this campaign in full knowledge that there would still be some bugs to work out in this game. I had hoped that fixes could all be applied as I proceeded, but that was not to be. The current state of the game is much better than in this current campaign so I’m ending this one in May ’16.

The AI was, as expected, not quite up to human skill levels, but still gave a good fight. It did throw away units in several battles and operations. In particular, the French in Belgium early in the game, and the Russians in a large scale attempted invasion of West Prussia (that cost the Russians 2 Armies). It did counter attack enough to make me somewhat leery of overextending CP forces. It did in fact make several moves and attacks on all fronts which forced me to withdraw. The current front in Poland is less favorable to the CP than the October screen shot due to a major attack by the Russians to retake Warsaw. I very nearly lost the German 10th Army and was forced into some attacks which I did not want to make.

In my next game I will make the AI more aggressive and will try the “give full time” to the AI. This should make it more challenging.

Overall, the game models several aspects of the Great War to my liking. The R&D, unit builds, supply and economy seem to be reasonable for such a game. I barely had begun to explore the various attributes to the commanding generals. The skill differences are of great importance. Few, if any, are good at all types of assignments. The diplomacy features are interesting, but I found that after the first 4 turns of the game, I could not affect anything with diplomats. The next time around, I will have a complete manual. The naval aspects of the game were not really tested in my game. This was by choice-I used events to make contact less likely so I could get away with a few bombardment missions against Great Britain.

I did learn a few lessons about long term planning for this war. The next time around I would build more artillery early in the game-both siege and field artillery. In this game I ended up with huge surpluses of ammo that could not possibly be used with the units I had in the field. Another error on my part was focusing on building high quality infantry for the first year. I could easily have had many more infantry corps on the West Front in the summer of ’15 if I had chosen to build low quality units. This would have made RR repair much easier to effect and would have released elite units for the front. There were several turns in which I could not advance due to supply issues and even had to withdraw to avoid the possibility of a unit being withdrawn. With another 6 corps, I could have exploited some additional opportunities. A good balance of quality and quantity comes with practice.

Regarding CTD; I had one in Feb 1915, several in June/July 1915 after installing a patch-I thought I was going to have to quit, but then it all came together. There was one more during the next 6 turns someplace-but I had long since learned to save every turn. With the exception of the occasional CTD the game ran smooth. It would use 1 to 1.5 gig of RAM (in addition to my ½ gig of normal system use). One problem which did not entirely go away was the cursor occasionally getting stuck on a province for a second-rather irritating, but rare.

Bottom line is that I like this game and will certainly play it many more times in the future. Multiplayer games should really be challenging.

pingu
Conscript

Great AAR!

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 am

I really enjoyed this. Looking forward to your next one!

RunnerKnight
Conscript

Great Work

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks for doing this. I've been doing lot's of research on this game, and with this strategy guide you're doing I think I might just buy it. And I'm also thinking that this will help me in AACW. Keep of the great work. :thumbsup:

06 Maestro
General

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:24 pm

RunnerKnight wrote:Thanks for doing this. I've been doing lot's of research on this game, and with this strategy guide you're doing I think I might just buy it. And I'm also thinking that this will help me in AACW. Keep of the great work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment.

This AAR is from an early version of the game. Some of my observations regarding NW changes and RR repair are no longer valid.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that this still gets a look now and then.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18 AARs”