06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:13 am

This is the situation in Belgium and N.W. France at the start of Nov/Dec. It appears that the Germans have not made great progress, but that is not the whole story. The Entente AI made a major effort to save Belgium. The French Army has paid a big price in trying to hold back the German invaders. It was not really a cheap fight for Germany either, but 2 French corps were surrounded and will soon be destroyed. The Belgium Army should be just about finished.

When the ET lines give way, there should not be much left to stop the Germany Army from marching into France-except for the BEF-ha ha ha-they shall be brushed aside.

[ATTACH]5258[/ATTACH]
Attachments
West Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:14 am

There have been some interesting development along the Moselle. The French have stubbornly clung on to Longwy. After several brutal battles, they are still there. Their position is now becoming vulnerable due to the flanks giving way.

To take advantage of this situation, the German 5th Army will attack south of Longwy in an effort to cut off the French Army located there (along with the GHQ). If this operation can be pulled off, France may be left at a permanent disadvantage.

The 4th Army will make an effort to take Nancy. This is risky, as there is at least a garrison there along with a major fort, and the 4th Army only has regular artillery. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If this attack is successful, France may be done.

[ATTACH]5259[/ATTACH]

Everyone may be back home in time to see the cherries bloom-the leaves have already fallen.
Attachments
West-Moselle  Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:15 am

The Army cuts off the French 3rd Army and the GHQ!. The Battle of Cote de Meuse was a close affair. German losses were significant, and it took all reserves to push through victory.

Note: I do not entrust the AI with offensive battles. There are some special considerations for saving units from being over used which the AI sometimes seems to ignore. I frequently let it handle a defensive battle if I'm sure of the outcome. If a "retreat" may be a smart move to save units, I will conduct that myself.

[ATTACH]5260[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle o f Cote de Meuse Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 am

The A/H Empire is engaged in a defensive campaign at this time. The 1st Army may take some action, otherwise, it is time to dig in.

The situation around E. Prussia has not change too much. It appears the Russians are ready to launch a major attack from the east on Koenigsberg.

[ATTACH]5261[/ATTACH]
Attachments
E Prussia-Pommern Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 am

Lodz is apparantly an important place to the Russian AI. They were driven out, and then counterattacked. In each case, the German 9th Army was too much for them.

There were several other small battles around E. Prussia. The Russians are taking the worst of it, but Germany is suffering losses also.

[ATTACH]5262[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Lodz Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:20 am

The Battle of Lubieszow was a major A/H victory. This was a relief for me, as the A/H forces are getting spread a little thin.

[ATTACH]5263[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle o f Lubieszow Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 am

The Sebian front has not change too much in the big picture, but there has actually been a lot of activity. Belgrade was captured, then retaken. The Serbs have actually crossed int A/H territory. I think they are getting alittle too pushy-a hammer will fall.

[ATTACH]5264[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Serbis Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:22 am

The KUK moves onto Belgrade followed by a short battle. The siege was a rather short affair this time-one bombardment with some of those special A/H guns.

[ATTACH]5265[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Siege of Belgrade Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 am

The Ottoman Empire has finally joined the fray on the CP side. The OE Army is not in position for any action yet against the Russians, but gave it one small effort. There is a large OE Army in Palestine-I'm sure things will heat up there.

[ATTACH]5266[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Kars Nov-Dec.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:26 am

At the end of the Nov/Dec turn, the game inters its first "interphase". There was a boatload of political actions from all sides.
It seems that everyone had the following actions;
1. Improve War time economy.
2 Improve NW.
3. Appoint a new Leader.
4. Added conscription.

France also formed a new government. There were many other changes as well.

The A/H's took a big hit that I was not expecting; mutinies. I think it was an event card played by the ET AI-very bad effect on the Army. Replacements were barely adequate before-now, the A/H Army may have to retreat just to survive. This is too bad as they were putting up a great fight.

Another bad event for A/H; it looks like Italy has joined the ET. That frontier is still covered, but w/o reserves.

[ATTACH]5267[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Interphase 1914.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:26 am

On the Political front the CP is having a tough time. For some reason, many countries had no "path" to send AMB's after August-not even to Bulgaria. Rumania is still in Reach for both Germany and the A/H Empire. They have recieved much attnetion from the Cp with some good results-but not each time.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:27 am

I lost track of the losses, but it is significant. This mutiny business has strategic implications. I will have to pay more attention to the mutiny event cards the next time around.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 am

The situation on the west front is not looking too good for the TE. The French GHQ is surrounded along with the remnants of the 3rd Army. The front is not quite as open as it appears, as there are additional French and British units which do not appear due to FOW.

Nancy has fallen with low losses for the Germans. This will enable the German 6th Army to continue to advance west on to Toul-which has another major fortress,
The 3rd Army is poised for an attack on Rhiems. The province appears empty, and I think it actually may be so.

Note: The large French flag near the bottom center of the map is the location of Paris,

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 am

It was the hope of the General Staff that this battle of Longwy would be the last. The French have somehow survived the onslaught.

Rafiki

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:30 am

Maestro, why not add the images inline, rather than "just" attaching them? In the "edit post", there is a paperclip-iconed button about the text-edit area; clicking it will bring up a dropdown menu which should allow you to insert the attached image(s) into your post :)

EDIT: Seems that in the time it took me to write my reply, you found the button :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 am

And the rsults of the Batle of Longwy.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 am

Here is a more local view of the French GHQ. Why don't they just surrender?Image

Note: I am up to 3 resumed games for this AAR. I finally had a CTS (using 105 beta) during the Jan/Feb military phase. I got a little frustrated while trying to seperate a corp from an A/H Army and started clicking fast-then I swtched to another army-and bang-CTD. It did resume without problem.

Its back to the war for a while.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:34 am

As National Will (NW) is a critical component to a nations ability to wage war, I should include these on a regular basis.
After the inital choices of war plans and events, all the powers had approximetaly 30 NW points. Great Britain had closer to 40 at the start.

There were some significant changes during the first Interphase. Things such as battles, casualties, loss of territory/cities and fortresses affected NW each phase, but the interphase brought the biggist changes.

At the end of the Jan/Feb turn, the NW stats are as follows;
France-16 (large casuaties and city fortress loss)
Russia-19
GB -32
-------
Ger. -40
A/H -26
O.E. -26
--------
Bul. -38 (nuetral
Rum. -38 (nuetral)

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:35 am

The situation in E. Pomern and Prussia is getting close to exploding. The Russians have 2 armies heading for Thorn. That little AI plan will soon end in a Russian disaster. One of those armies has already been driven back by the 8th Army. Of greater concern is what must be a huge Russian army approaching Koenigsberg from the north. The month of May will be very exciting in the east.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 am

Rafiki wrote:Maestro, why not add the images inline, rather than "just" attaching them? In the "edit post", there is a paperclip-iconed button about the text-edit area; clicking it will bring up a dropdown menu which should allow you to insert the attached image(s) into your post :)

EDIT: Seems that in the time it took me to write my reply, you found the button :thumbsup:

It took me a while to get it. Its like you guys are in a different country, or something :D .

I was going to PM you for the info on how do do this. I knew it should be simple, but... ;)

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will see if I can change the others.

Edit: On further thought, is this proof of telepathy? :)

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 am

[ATTACH]5268[/ATTACH]The German 1st Army is now ready to advance down the French coast. It is known that the BEF is in front of them-in force. The forces amassed were thought to be adequate for the task. This battle also qualifies as a "major battle". So far, in the course of this campaign, there have been only 2 others.
Attachments
Battle of Ypres Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 am

And the result of the first contact with the main body of the BEF. This was not a good sign. It looks like it is time for a "grand offense". I do have 3 stosstruppen units available for deployment. I didn't think I needed them yet.
Unfortunately, this was not the only bloody nose the Germans would get this turn.

[ATTACH]5269[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Ypres End Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:55 am

The Battle of St Quentin was not as big a debacle, but still, not a very satisfactory result.

[ATTACH]5270[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of St Quentin Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 am

On a happier note, the French in Longwy were finally subdued. This will free up the German 5th Army for some more special projects-a place called Verdun comes to mind...

[ATTACH]5271[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Longwy Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 am

The French were noticed moving into position south of Rheims, so I kept the 4th Army in position-and added to its reserves. The following battle was an important victory for Germany.

[I]Note: If a major city is recaptured by its owning nation, they get even more NW than what they lost when the city/location was initially lost

[ATTACH]5272[/ATTACH][/I]
Attachments
Battle of Rheims Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:00 am

The Battle of Douai was another dismal affair for the German Army. I did break off the attack before it really got ugly.

It's as if the German Army has run into a stone wall.
[ATTACH]5273[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Douai Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am

The Germans' suffered too high casualties this turn. A price is now paid in a loss of NW. To put these losses in perspective, the 5 previous turns all had eaither a 1 or 2 point hit on NW. There was a whole lot of fighting on those earlier turns too. It seems the trench tech has gone into effect with the T.E.

I think that this tech kicks in earlier. Everyone os at "trench level 0". There seems to be a difference, none the less.

[ATTACH]5274[/ATTACH])
Attachments
Ger  loss penalty Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:05 am

The Turks drew some blood this turn. The Russians attacked at Gole, suffering a defeat.

[ATTACH]5275[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Gole Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:07 am

On the Serbian front, the A/H's are still holding Belgrade, and are flanking from the south. The Serbs seem to loosing their ability to fight, but launched several attacks anyway. They were generally slapped around by the A/H Army, but did win one victory at Uzice.

[ATTACH]5276[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Battle of Uzice Mar-Apr 15.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am

France has had a remarkable recovery in NW. It jumped from 16 to 30 in one turn. Winning a major battle gets 3 points by itself-and the whole alliance gets it, not just the power that participated in the battle. The same goes for loosing a battle.

On the diplomatic front; the route for AMBs' has opened up to Bulgaria. I poured in German and A/H Ambassadors in the hope of bringing them into the Great War on the right side. T. E. ambassadors have been spotted there-not good.
[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18 AARs”