PhilThib

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:59 am

On ne descend pas à ce niveau pour les "nationalité"... pour les anglais, on distingue les troupes des dominions (Canada, Anzac, Afrique du Sud) ou Colonies (Indes, Afrique)... pour les français ou belge, rien hormis le distingo sur les troupes coloniales...

Tamas

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:15 am

runnersan wrote:Thanks! Great, but one more question, when in later phase I buy new corps is his nationality (Czech, Polish, Bavarian) defined by me, or automatic?

<edit> very bad english correction, sorry :)

You select, altough it is not a completely free choice (you dont have all nationality for the better units, for example)

By the way, a mechanic I like quite much, is that each unit you buy in an Interphase, decrease the turnly flow of replacement points you receive. Build too much - see your front collapse because there are no one in the barracks to replace the losses with. Build too few, and you dont have enough units to hold the line.

pailleterie
Captain

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:31 am

are there corps of calvary, and have they more movement in the strategic map?

Tamas

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 am

pailleterie wrote:are there corps of calvary, and have they more movement in the strategic map?

Yes. I do not like them much though. Their advantage in 1914 is their usually good morale, but they are weak and have no firepower.

morvael
Sergeant

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:02 pm

They should be useful on the eastern front, though. There, the was less trench warfare and more space to cover. Is it so?

Tamas

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:30 pm

morvael wrote:They should be useful on the eastern front, though. There, the was less trench warfare and more space to cover. Is it so?

Yes, but this is also a matter of game scale: in a battle you are sending a cavalry division against an infantry division, so in terms of raw firepower and ability to take losses, the infantry will be in advantage, especially so if the cavalry has no infantry support.

That said, cavalry is often useful. Just do not expect to use it as some kind of miracle weapon, apart from its undeniable ability to plug holes faster than infantry.

Laudon
Conscript

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks for a nice AAR, finally I could get a more definite picture of the game. However I'm missing something very basic about it. :bonk: There are 8 playable nations. When I choose Germany, will I get a full control of A-H, later Ottomans and Bulgaria when join Central Powers, or will they remain still controlled by AI? Maybe this is optionable?

Tamas

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:33 pm

There is a scenario where you control both Germany and A-H, and a 4 player one when only one of them.

Also, when you get control of a minor country, you get to control all aspects of it.

Florent

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:02 pm

What about the Sounds Tamas, do we have the same quality of the previous games ? :D

Tamas

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Florent wrote:What about the Sounds Tamas, do we have the same quality of the previous games ? :D

The music relates to the period, and the sound effects blend in with the game. :thumbsup:

Florent

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Artillery sound is surely a must for a WW1 game. :D
In your game you have access to all powers from Central Powers ?

Tamas

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Florent wrote:Artillery sound is surely a must for a WW1 game. :D
In your game you have access to all powers from Central Powers ?

Yes I was playing the 2 players game Grand Campaign, where I started with control of Germany and Austria-Hungary. When Turkey joined, I got control of it too.

Florent

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Except for the Hexs replaced by areas, other changes compared to the Azure Wish boardgame (that i have) ?

Florent

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Tamas can you post a screen with square or counters only instead of 3D figurines to see the difference and looking.

Lannes
Major

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Yes good question please Tamas ;)

Tamas

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Florent wrote:Tamas can you post a screen with square or counters only instead of 3D figurines to see the difference and looking.

Well I am sorry, but since I am done with the AAR, I dont want to abuse my beta-ship by posting random pictures. Will let one of the developers do that. :)

Tamas

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 pm

As a piece of gossip and to show how hard Calvinus has been working on the game, I tell you that I just tried Plan Rupprecht again following some AI improvements Calvinus made, and oh boy.

If you remember the AAR, there was no decisive engagement between my Germans and the Swiss, the AI probably used them to create a safe frontline, not taking the overwhelming odds of facing the mighty German armies. That seemed like a reasonable course of action for me, since if you remember, I could barely enter France proper that way, terrain and all.

The current AI however, managed to mount a much harder resistance. The minor part of it was that a unit or two of the Swiss army were left behind to guard the border. They were swept away by my relentless charge, so no problem there.
The problem came from the fact that most of the remnants of the Swiss forces gathered in Bern. Now if you refer to my earlier screenshots you can see that I was in no position to leave that in enemy hands. Not only it is a crucial railroad area, it is als a home city of Switzerland so the army would stay supplied there, requiring a very big force to keep them in check (most units of the small Swiss force are mountain infantry, so they can be very effective on their home terrain).
As such, in August I had no alternative but to crush into them with my 3rd Army and force their retreat no matter the cost.

It was a bloody failure. :( The combined defensive advantages of mountain, city, mountain experts, and good morale could not be overcome by my numbers and artillery support. In fact, what was left of my August munition supply was spent on Bern in the titanic struggle to achieve the breakthrough.
As a result, my 1st Army's battles to serve as the other wing of the encirclement had to be fought with no artillery support, and so they were also forced to retreat.

I made a second attempt with my depleted units in September, with similar luck. So by October, I still have not set foot on French soil! :eek:

Sol Invictus

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I like the sound of this. :thumbsup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 pm

There is a typo in aar5bj8.jpg - it should certainly be Polska, not Poslka.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18 AARs”