CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Game Unplayable

Sun May 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Hello all. I bought game yesterday but I find it impossible to play. Everything is good til I load any map. Than FPS drops to 4, 5 or even less than 1. I can barely move mouse or scroll map. I tried using lowest resolution, turning sounds off and otherwise minimizing everything. I could really use some assisntace.
Thank anyone for help :)

Franciscus

Sun May 15, 2011 4:13 pm

CrazzyIvan wrote:Hello all. I bought game yesterday but I find it impossible to play. Everything is good til I load any map. Than FPS drops to 4, 5 or even less than 1. I can barely move mouse or scroll map. I tried using lowest resolution, turning sounds off and otherwise minimizing everything. I could really use some assisntace.
Thank anyone for help :)

Are you playing in a system with multi-core CPU and Windows 7 ?

There is a known problem that is solved if you load the game via the "single-core" option (you will find it in the respective game menu of Windows Start menu).

Give it a try.

regards

Athens
Brigadier General

Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I've discovered lately asolution to use several cores with WW1 without having any lag or jerky mouse: download a free utility named "Core affinty resident" and limit in this utility WW1 to cores 0, 2, 4 and 6 for a quad cores , or 0 and 2 for a dual cores processor. WW1 doesn't like multithread, so limiting the game to use of the real cores without the false cores resulting of multithreading feature gives excellent results, as WW1 is using 2 cores without troubles...
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Game Unplayable.

Mon May 16, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you for assistance. I tried defragmenting disk and using program you mentioned. I am not very good at computers, but when I use program with WW1 i have only optins about 0 and 1 core. I use dual core computer. I tried with both 0 and 1 off and nothing changes.
I dont know about 1st post how to start game as single core? Where is option for that exactly?
Thank you in advance :)

calvinus

Mon May 16, 2011 1:41 pm

Hello CrazyIvan,

what is the operating system? Win7 or Vista? If so, you can launch the game in "single-core mode". Didn't you try to do it?

Also, is the game installed and running with UAC off? If not, this could be the cause of the game slugginess.

Thanks, Calvinus.

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Mon May 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I am using Windows XP. I don't know from where to launch game in "single-core mode". Also I don't know what UAC means :) .
Help would be appreciated.

Franciscus

Mon May 16, 2011 5:49 pm

CrazzyIvan wrote:I am using Windows XP. I don't know from where to launch game in "single-core mode". Also I don't know what UAC means :) .
Help would be appreciated.

UAC is for Vista/7, never mind.

The single core mode can be accessed via the windows start menu (see pic)

Regards
Attachments
single CPU.JPG

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Mon May 16, 2011 6:35 pm

Hmm I followed your instructions, but when I enter World War One program list all I can see is :

Configure World War One Gold
Game Manual
Game Manual Additions
World War One Gold

In that order..dont know how to take screenshot. I purchased, downloaded and installed over Impulse if that has to do with anything.

So basically you have 13 options when you enter start menu..I have 4 :)

Franciscus

Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 pm

CrazzyIvan wrote:Hmm I followed your instructions, but when I enter World War One program list all I can see is :

Configure World War One Gold
Game Manual
Game Manual Additions
World War One Gold

In that order..dont know how to take screenshot. I purchased, downloaded and installed over Impulse if that has to do with anything.

So basically you have 13 options when you enter start menu..I have 4 :)

Do you have the latest version ? (patch 1.08L) ??

(PS: I am not sure if it is compatible with the Impulse version... you can always try, or wait for Calvinus or PhilThib to say something)

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Mon May 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Well good and bad news :) . I realized that my patch was 1.08f, guess Impulse are not up to date. I installed 1.08l patch from this site.
Now when I open start menu there are 2 World War One. One that contains options I mentioned above and other which has only option with single CPU mode. But when I start that one nothing happens..Only black screen from DOS I believe, and nothing. When I start normally, version is 1.08l, but it still shows 5FPS when I load scenario.

calvinus

Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 am

Black screen... ok are you running with Windows XP, right? Single core does not run on XP.

Otherwise, any tip about the operating system?

If on Win7, be sure you have installed and run the game with UAC set to off, logged with PC Admin priviledges, and the game is not installed on drive C:, if possible.

If on Vista, the UAC off and PC Admin priviledges are enough.
Also, is there some antivirus that slows down the game? If so, try to configure the antivirus by making WW1.EXE a trusted application.

Other tips if you have low RAM: set game colors depth to low (configuration tool), try disabling sounds...

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Tue May 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Yes I am running Windows XP. I tried disabling sound and almost every option. What can be done if I use Windows XP?

Franciscus

Tue May 17, 2011 2:11 pm

CrazzyIvan wrote:Well good and bad news :) . I realized that my patch was 1.08f, guess Impulse are not up to date. I installed 1.08l patch from this site.
Now when I open start menu there are 2 World War One. One that contains options I mentioned above and other which has only option with single CPU mode. But when I start that one nothing happens..Only black screen from DOS I believe, and nothing. When I start normally, version is 1.08l, but it still shows 5FPS when I load scenario.

What you describe makes me think you did not install the patch correctly.

Make sure that you point the patch installer to whatever directory Impulse installed the game in your computer, and not to default patch path.

Regards

ambien
Conscript

Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi,

I also cannot load the game. I just upgraded to Gold from the old version, which functioned fine. But I can't play the gold version. After I choose a scenario, I get a CTD while the "Initializing Scenario" screen loads. My OS is windows 7. I sent an email about this 2 days ago but have not received a response yet.

calvinus

Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 pm

ambien wrote:Hi,

I also cannot load the game. I just upgraded to Gold from the old version, which functioned fine. But I can't play the gold version. After I choose a scenario, I get a CTD while the "Initializing Scenario" screen loads. My OS is windows 7. I sent an email about this 2 days ago but have not received a response yet.

Hello, I checked the support mail of AgeOD and there's no mail about WW1.
Your problem makes me think that the gold upgrade is not properly installed or the privilidges for loading game files are missing.

My advice is that you send a PM to PhilThib asking him the download link to the full gold version. So, download it and uninstall the current game, then install the full gold. Also, be sure UAC is off and you're logged as PC Admin.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

ambien
Conscript

Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

calvinus wrote:Hello, I checked the support mail of AgeOD and there's no mail about WW1.
Your problem makes me think that the gold upgrade is not properly installed or the privilidges for loading game files are missing.

My advice is that you send a PM to PhilThib asking him the download link to the full gold version. So, download it and uninstall the current game, then install the full gold. Also, be sure UAC is off and you're logged as PC Admin.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Hmm, that's strange, I sent the message through the technical support link on your website ( http://www.ageod.com/en/contact.php ). Anyway, thanks for your response.

calvinus

Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 am

ambien wrote:Hmm, that's strange, I sent the message through the technical support link on your website ( http://www.ageod.com/en/contact.php ). Anyway, thanks for your response.

So please also inform Philippe that probably the contact form is not working well.

clockwork
Civilian

Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 pm

What does UAC mean i have vista and the same problems as this guy.

calvinus

Sat May 21, 2011 5:57 am

UAC is the User Account Control. You can disable it in the Control Panel of Win Vista. If UAC is active, remember that WW1 must be installed and run with UAC off, so if you installed WW1 with UAC on, set it to off, uninstall the game and install it again. Also, be sure you're logged in the PC with the PC Administrator priviledges.

PhilThib

Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 am

ambien wrote:Hmm, that's strange, I sent the message through the technical support link on your website ( http://www.ageod.com/en/contact.php ). Anyway, thanks for your response.

Better send me a mail to pthibaut@ageod.net :cool:

clockwork
Civilian

Sat May 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Nope I had UAC turned off. So is there anyway I can fix this problem?

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Sat May 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I still don't know what to do. Guess I will have to install new windows or something. I tried all possibilites, installing patch from this site, using lowest resolution, turning sounds off. Tried CAR program to turn one core off. It is pretty much same, very low FPS. Just my luck...I always wanted to play WW 1 game, finally find it and now I can't play :D

calvinus

Sat May 21, 2011 2:03 pm

How much RAM is on your PC, Ivan? Game requires 2 GBs, at least. With low RAM, game runs very slowly because Windows uses hugely swap memory by using the hard drive.

clockwork
Civilian

Sat May 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I have 2GBs of RAM and mine runs slow :(

CrazzyIvan
Conscript

Sun May 22, 2011 12:42 am

I have 2.75 GB of RAM

tevans6220
Private

Sun May 22, 2011 1:57 am

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question about UAC. I recently purchased a new computer with Win7 which automatically has UAC on. Everything I read in this forum says that WWI needs to have UAC off to be installed and to run. But everything I read from other forums and websites says it's dumb to turn UAC off for any reason. What should I do? WWI seemed to install fine but runs a little sluggish especially the mouse. My new system is a 2.8 ghz quad core with 4 Gb of ram. I've tried running the game with just a single core and with all four cores. Either way it's sluggish. Is turning off UAC going to make that much difference or is what I'm getting about as good as it gets? I don't want to compromise my system by disabling UAC but I do enjoy playing WWI. What should I do?

calvinus

Sun May 22, 2011 7:37 am

tevans6220 wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question about UAC. I recently purchased a new computer with Win7 which automatically has UAC on. Everything I read in this forum says that WWI needs to have UAC off to be installed and to run. But everything I read from other forums and websites says it's dumb to turn UAC off for any reason. What should I do? WWI seemed to install fine but runs a little sluggish especially the mouse. My new system is a 2.8 ghz quad core with 4 Gb of ram. I've tried running the game with just a single core and with all four cores. Either way it's sluggish. Is turning off UAC going to make that much difference or is what I'm getting about as good as it gets? I don't want to compromise my system by disabling UAC but I do enjoy playing WWI. What should I do?

I've been forced to disable UAC on my PC (Win Vista) because most of applications were almost unusable, not only WW1 (play or development). Also, I experienced lots of freezes and lockups (many applications), because the operating system made them not working at all.

calvinus

Sun May 22, 2011 7:43 am

@clockwork & crazzyivan: try to set to off the "AI Memory" option (WW1 Config tool), as suggested on this forum by a guy that experieced game lags like yours. This, provided the game sluggishness is only in the map window, could mean the OS makes the game IO/RAM-access operations slowed down. Otherwise, if the game works slowly also in the main menu, it could mean the antivirus is freezing all game process because considered a threat...

Athens
Brigadier General

Sun May 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Have you looked at the scrolling map slider? Because there are real differences in scrolling between the + and - edges of the slider. And beware, curiously, + is slowing map scrolling. That's one of the subtle GUI errors of WW1
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

calvinus

Sun May 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Talking about map scroll, map bitmaps are loaded during the map scroll, but only for the portions of the map that aren't in video-ram yet. So the first map scrolls are slow, then much faster when you return to portions of map already loaded.

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”