06 Maestro
General

Multi Player Warplans De-sync

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:43 pm

I have come across a reproducible desync event with the H patch. After the initial connect we go into the game. The standard newspaper clips are there. As soon as these are selected, the joining party loses the active war plans link to get to the war plans.

While saving for the report, my opponent noticed the war plans link illuminated for a few seconds-then went grey again. As he was not ready for that-he missed the opportunity. So, I save again, the WP button became active again, and my opponent was able to click on it and we moved on in playing the game.

I had the same thing happen with another player last night. It has been a couple of patches since I did a complete reinstall-so will try that too. However, as this is reproducible, it may be a new bug. Both of these opponents can easily connect to my PC-and I top theirs when hosting. Odd thing-when I joined another game this morning-the war plans dying did not happen-only when they joined my game. Confusing.

LOL-I will reinstall.
Attachments
Early August 1914 WP DS.rar
(384.01 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

calvinus

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 am

How many players? The saves of other players?

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:51 am

Although this happened with two players, it was in two separate instances. I save the one time, so maybe there is another available from my opponent.

However, I am not too concerned about this mishap as I think I needed to do a reinstall anyway.

I'll post here if the problem recurs.

calvinus

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:38 pm

I tried to reproduce the de-synch, unsuccessfully, even though I did the same things you wrote. No de-synch during the first game, no de-sync even when I loaded the MP game on client and server...

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:07 pm

I think there were some other issues, like an improper setting, on the firewall.

We will be hooking up for another game this afternoon. I will post the results regarding this-one way or the other. I suspect it will be fine.

06 Maestro
General

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:56 am

The problem persists with the war plans de-syncing with the H patch. My opponent and I reinstalled everything with av and UAC off. We had the same situation again. We tried several times and each time it was the same. As the initial screen opens, the war plans link is active for a second or two, then goes inactive. This happens on the joining players machine. The game will jump (as TE player/joining player) Serbia-perhaps with units moving. Now this is in the GC, so it skips past Diplo and Events also. It is out of sync at that point anyway. The same "work around" still is there, by saving the game, the joining player will have a second or two to open the war plans dialog. However we did not proceed with that very far.

The next step was to do another completely fresh install and patch back up to the F patch. With the F patch we were able to get right through the war plans like it should. So, we are able to play with the F patch, and I think the g patch was good also, but did not confirm that today.

The H patch played fine-actually very good in the SP mode, but it seems to have a little bug for MP mode. ;)

At least we can play.

calvinus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 am

06 Maestro wrote:The problem persists with the war plans de-syncing with the H patch. My opponent and I reinstalled everything with av and UAC off. We had the same situation again. We tried several times and each time it was the same. As the initial screen opens, the war plans link is active for a second or two, then goes inactive. This happens on the joining players machine. The game will jump (as TE player/joining player) Serbia-perhaps with units moving. Now this is in the GC, so it skips past Diplo and Events also. It is out of sync at that point anyway. The same "work around" still is there, by saving the game, the joining player will have a second or two to open the war plans dialog. However we did not proceed with that very far.

The next step was to do another completely fresh install and patch back up to the F patch. With the F patch we were able to get right through the war plans like it should. So, we are able to play with the F patch, and I think the g patch was good also, but did not confirm that today.

The H patch played fine-actually very good in the SP mode, but it seems to have a little bug for MP mode. ;)

At least we can play.

It looks incredible!

That part of code is untouched since months:

pBtn->SetEnable( gpGameEngine->GetLocalPlayer()->FindNation( gpActiveNation ) && !gpActiveNation->GetWarPlanTag().IsEmpty() );

The warplans button is grayed out when the currently selected nation is not under your control or it's a minor nation that cannot adopt warplans.

So my question is: did your opponent click on an area belonging to one of his major powers???

hattrick
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Calvinus,

Yes, at times I remember clicking on a major nation, at one time specifically I recall that after we saved to get the war plans button back, I quickly did the French turn then went to the Russian turn and after clicking on a Russian province it was greyed out. Also we tried to connect with four players using the H patch, the third player could never connect in. They would always get stuck right outside the lobby for some reason. You could see that they joined the game because it said so in the message window but that is as far as they would get.

We will continue testing, its possible it might have been my fault also for not clicking on the nation. I do also remember it bringing up Serbia when the war plans would come up. It didnt used to do that, so that might have thrown me off.

calvinus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:36 pm

On my side I'll try to simulate a 4-players MP connection on two PCs on my LAN by launching two WW1.exe application per PC... :bonk:

06 Maestro
General

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:14 pm

calvinus wrote:It looks incredible!

That part of code is untouched since months:

And the game runs great in SP. Although I'm sort of punching into the dark here; it seems that we de-sync immediately as the game opens-we have not even done anything yet. I suspect it is game compatibility. How can this be if we were both showing the same patch? The only answer is in how the H patch installs. It does, in fact, creat its own program the way Windows see's it. It is listed separate from WW1 in the add/remove programs. None of the other patches were like that. At any rate, it seems that the patch can affect game comparability somehow.

calvinus wrote:The warplans button is grayed out when the currently selected nation is not under your control or it's a minor nation that cannot adopt warplans.

So my question is: did your opponent click on an area belonging to one of his major powers???

I find it hard to believe that two guy's would have the same problem because they didn't know to click on the nation concerned-lol-I really hope that is not what happened. :confused: It is a new experience for most-strange errors can occur-like what "green" soldiers on the battlefield cause-even though they know better.

calvinus

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Dear all, I have excellent news for you. I managed to find the bug that prevented the connection of the fourth player in MP mode! :thumbsup:

It's now fixed. I will deliver the new beta patch 1.08J as soon as possible! :)

06 Maestro
General

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks Calvinus-appreciate your efforts.

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”