AC67
Conscript

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Great find, guys. I must admit, however, that my private notebook came back from technical assistance and the game runs just fine on it (Vista), so I uninstalled from my (work) win7 machine. But I really think I will get me an hour of spare time this weekend to re-install WW1 on it and try the patch. Thanks to you all,

AC67

AndrewKurtz

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:52 pm

calvinus wrote:Let's wait also the feedbacks of AC67, Andrew Kurtz & CO.

Of course I'm on the road and away from my desktop PC until at least Sunday night, possibly longer. But I will test first chance I get.

Moff Jerjerrod
Sergeant

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Well I have good news to report from my Vista 64 quad core machine.

I followed the advice of Franciscus and used his method of setting up the batch file. When I ran the game with Affinity set to 1 I eliminated all mouse jerkiness and map scrolling issues 100%. In fact I had to decrease mouse sensitivity in the WW1 configurator in order to stop my mouse cursor from moving so fast!!

Excellent discovery and great team work everyone! Bravo :happyrun:

06 Maestro
General

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:46 pm

This really good news-I'm happy for you guy's-especially now that Andrew can get into the 4X game :) .

I thought it strange that my 6 year old laptop with an Intell 1.8 ghz CPU would play WW1 fine (although it gets a little hot :) )and yet these new machines would not.

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 am

Good good good news!

Now we should ask to Bill Gates why this happened! :wacko:

Franciscus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:52 pm

calvinus wrote:Good good good news!

Now we should ask to Bill Gates why this happened! :wacko:

Yes,... Now that you mention it, it's curious this problem... Was it caused by any inability of WW1.exe to use multi-cores or because of some problem between Win7 and multicore cpus ??? You, Calvinus, have a multicore CPU IIRC, and had no problems, right?

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Franciscus wrote:Yes,... Now that you mention it, it's curious this problem... Was it caused by any inability of WW1.exe to use multi-cores or because of some problem between Win7 and multicore cpus ??? You, Calvinus, have a multicore CPU IIRC, and had no problems, right?

Yes, I have Win Vista on a Core Quad and Win XP on a Core Duo. No problems.

AndrewKurtz

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm

I must have a different issue on my desktop. I still have the lag, but it is primarily when newspapers or "decision boxes" (i.e. Donate Gold...) pop up. When trying to move in these items, the mouse jumps (stops/starts) regardless of how I launch the game.

This machine is a Pentium 4 (3.40 GHz) with 4GB of RAM. And the game is playable as the lag is only in certain situations. So I don't think more time should be spent on this issue for me.

Franciscus

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:I must have a different issue on my desktop. I still have the lag, but it is primarily when newspapers or "decision boxes" (i.e. Donate Gold...) pop up. When trying to move in these items, the mouse jumps (stops/starts) regardless of how I launch the game.

This machine is a Pentium 4 (3.40 GHz) with 4GB of RAM. And the game is playable as the lag is only in certain situations. So I don't think more time should be spent on this issue for me.

AFAIK Pentium 4 is a single core machine, so indeed your problem is different from the one experienced in the past by users with multi-core CPUs (like me).

Now, lag when newspapers or event boxes, etc, show up, are common, I also have them, always have had (although they are better).

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nikel

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Pentium 4 3.40 GHz are hyperthreading capable processors, like your i7 that hast 4 real cores and 4 virtual ones

Still think that the problem could be related with hyperthreading capable processors and not W7

It would be interesting to disable HT in the bios and run the game (without forcing it to use one core) and see what happens

Though AndrewKurtz's lag seems to be the normal lag, not Franciscus' ;)

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Intel's frist generation of Hyperthreading did not work to well. This is why it was discontinued until the new i7 processors.

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”