Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Does Not Advance to Next Phase

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm attaching a zipped up folder with the .MAP and .SAV files in them. I appreciate if anyone can have a look at this and let me know what it is I'm not doing to 'finish' so that the game advances on to the next phase.

I have finished the early August actions, did a bombard and siege of Liege as well as one assault, and advanced on to August.

All my reinforcements got placed, and I advanced on to Main Phase. After the AI made his moves (activated a Russian Army) there was a battle in Liege, which Germany (me) won. That is pretty much the sequence of events that led up to the stage with the attached files.

As far as I can tell, none of my units are movable, though I was able to assign one of the East Front Armies to "book intercept," though this did not cause the turn to advance.

Hover over all my little keys on the lower right (activate, book intercept, finish moves, end turn) all of them give me the same message: Not allowed. Either because "you are not the active player," or in the case of End Turn "the active player is not finished."

The Pause key is not active: the AI can make his moves. So I'm not the active player, and I seemingly can do nothing . . . but the AI is doing nothing . . . unless there is something I have missed in playing the Tutorials, Tannenberg and Serbia, or in my quite limited skimming of the manual, it seems to me that the game is effectively "locked up?"

What exactly am I supposed to do here? Is this a bug? Can I expect playing this game to be equally as laborious and staccato as it has been since I DLed it acouple days ago?
Attachments
August 1914 Does Not Advance.zip
(425.71 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

calvinus

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Just some infos for testing your save: are you playing in WEGO mode? Or strictly turn-based? Or even in army-by-army activation mode?
Which version are you playing?

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:55 pm

calvinus wrote:Just some infos for testing your save: are you playing in WEGO mode? Or strictly turn-based? Or even in army-by-army activation mode?
Which version are you playing?

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Whatever would be default when I start up a new Singlepplayer, two-player Grand-Campaign game.

. . . here I'll restart it and have a look . . .

calvinus

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:59 pm

So it means you are playing in WEGO mode.

Well, if you have installed the latest beta-patch, you can use the Ctrl+M key to find the mandatory attack currently not satisfied, that is preventing you from hitting the end-turn button.

Anyway, the "you are not the active player" and "the active player is not finished" messages make me think you are playing in strict turn-based mode... :rolleyes:

Flop
Major

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:02 pm

It sounds to me like you booked a reaction with one of your armies, which means you have to move that specific army before the AI can continue its moves.

calvinus

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes, but he has written that he's playing in default mode (WEGO)... :wacko:

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:16 pm

Here is a screen-cap of my control panel showing the phase-structure options.

Strictly turn-based and all the sub-options under that are all selected.

So is that WEGO? or Turn-Based? or Army-by-army mode?

ADDIT: I went back one turn and played "August 1914c" (the one in the zip folder is August 1914d"). I'm not certain what I did differently, but I suspect that--in contrast to the previous time I played from Aug 1914c--I did not have the Pause button active when the Battle of Liege (a breakthrough phase battle at the end of Early Aug 1914) began. I suspect that that is what was causing the 'lockup' because the second time I played it has now advanced a bit further (Russia activated a couple more armies, GB moved some ships) and now I've got "Allies have finished moves and moved to next phase" and I'm able to do my East Front main army activation. :wacko:

calvinus

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

You are playing the most complex game mode. Maybe it's a bit too early playing so now. You have started this game just two days ago, and this play mode requires a deep knowledge of game mechanics. ;)

I loaded your save and i saw the white open envelope close to the Belgian I army, so I realised you are playing in strictly turn-based + army-by-army activation mode. WEGO mode is no army-by-army and no strictly turn based.

I realised too that you are suffering the inter-army-activation-timeout bug that I fixed with beta patch 1.05H/I. So I guess you are playing with the current official patch 1.05F.

I run your save with no problem. The bug you encountered (already fixed) causes a timeout between one army activation and the following one, so leaving the game hang: this is exactly what you experienced, being unable to proceed.

Pocus will soon publish the new official patch 1.06a.

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:35 pm

calvinus wrote:You are playing the most complex game mode. Maybe it's a bit too early playing so now. You have started this game just two days ago, and this play mode requires a deep knowledge of game mechanics. ;)

I loaded your save and i saw the white open envelope close to the Belgian I army, so I realised you are playing in strictly turn-based + army-by-army activation mode. WEGO mode is no army-by-army and no strictly turn based.

I realised too that you are suffering the inter-army-activation-timeout bug that I fixed with beta patch 1.05H/I. So I guess you are playing with the current official patch 1.05F.

I run your save with no problem. The bug you encountered (already fixed) causes a timeout between one army activation and the following one, so leaving the game hang: this is exactly what you experienced, being unable to proceed.

Pocus will soon publish the new official patch 1.06a.

Thanks Calvinus. I hoped it was something like that.

Should I install the 1.05H patch? Could you point me to it? Or would it be advisable to wait for 1.06a?

This is a beautiful game, and I can appreciate the difficulties of coding such a complex and realistic turn-mechanics structure. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like highest complexity game mode is one of the most realistic operational game engine designs so far devised.

calvinus

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:41 pm

If you go to the "Help Improve WW1" section, you will find the (sticky) thread for the latest beta patch 1.06. Download and install it, but read carefully all posts, because -after we published the beta- I later had to roll back one fix that was making the game too slow, and posted a temporary fix (a zip). So it's a bit tricky... Try it if you wish.

Otherwise let's wait Pocus publishes the official 1.06A ... :love:

I strongly suggest you to disable the strict turn-based mode. It's really too early for you to start this complex game in such a way. ;)

Anthropoid
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks Calvinus. I'll try it on the less complex settings and wait for the 1.06 patch. Slowing the game down is not something I want to risk right now :)

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”