jadam
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 pm

calvinus wrote:I think yes, hopefully...

Hi,

I dl-ed visual studio and attached to ww1.exe after the map has been loaded (I tried to attach before as well) but I don't see anything at the "Threads" section, no info at all.

At the output section I see the only possibly suspicious line is: "Unknown wave header in file"

also I found this in the output:

Code: Select all

No .SAV files found.
Initializing Map TexturesUnknown wave header in file

Can it be the source of my problems? What do these mean?

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:39 pm

That error message is reported by irrKlang, the library used by WW1 to reproduce game sounds and musics.

So disable sounds and musics (use WW1 Configuration tool) and run again the game. Is now working ok? If so, the lags are caused by the sound library.

Franciscus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:05 pm

calvinus wrote:That error message is reported by irrKlang, the library used by WW1 to reproduce game sounds and musics.

So disable sounds and musics (use WW1 Configuration tool) and run again the game. Is now working ok? If so, the lags are caused by the sound library.

Could this be related to my problem of being unable to play WW1 with sounds in WinXP ? :confused: :blink:

I have the suspicion that somehow my bug is related either with some Windows XP SP3 update and/or some incompatibility with the visual C++ dlls present in my PC.
Maybe it would be interesting to know exactly what versions of visual C++ distributables are present in our computers.
Maybe later I will post my visual C++ versions to compare with yours ?

Franciscus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

Below a pic showing my installed versions of the Visual C++ redistributables. I do not remember what applications/games installed them.

Is it similar to your configuration ? Does anyone spot anything amiss ?

Thanks
Attachments
visual c++ versions.JPG

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:09 am

Franciscus wrote:Below a pic showing my installed versions of the Visual C++ redistributables. I do not remember what applications/games installed them.

Is it similar to your configuration ? Does anyone spot anything amiss ?

Thanks

Might be a very good catch...

Actually, just a few weeks ago I was suffering exactly with these Visual C++ redistributables because of another game (Napoleon total war), I was installing, reinstalling, uninstalling them. I'll check the exact details but what comes to my mind that I had as well 2 2005 versions and 1 2008 version installed on my computer, but not 2010 what I see you have.

Calvinus, what do you have installed from these?

And if the sound is causing the lag how could I just disable it to make sure if it is the source of the problems or not?

calvinus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:17 am

I haven't installed the redistributable (runtime) version of visual studio. I use the full IDE.

To disable sounds & musics, run the WW1 Configuration Tool and un-check the corresponding options.

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 am

calvinus wrote:I haven't installed the redistributable (runtime) version of visual studio. I use the full IDE.

To disable sounds & musics, run the WW1 Configuration Tool and un-check the corresponding options.

But does the game need any visual C++ libraries? For if I removed all of them would it still start?

calvinus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:54 am

Game does not install any C++ runtime library. Everything is included (linked) inside the game executable. But... if you find some VC DLLs on your PC, that means some other applications use them! So if you remove those runtime libs, you could make those other applications do not work anymore!

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 am

calvinus wrote:Game does not install any C++ runtime library. Everything is included (linked) inside the game executable. But... if you find some VC DLLs on your PC, that means some other applications use them! So if you remove those runtime libs, you could make those other applications do not work anymore!

Thanks,

when I get home I'll try to disable all sound and music effects and see if it helps anything.

Adam.

Franciscus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:21 am

calvinus wrote:Game does not install any C++ runtime library. Everything is included (linked) inside the game executable. But... if you find some VC DLLs on your PC, that means some other applications use them! So if you remove those runtime libs, you could make those other applications do not work anymore!

So, WW1 or IrrKlang do not use any installed VC DLLs ?
They can not be a possible source of problems for WW1 ?

calvinus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 am

Franciscus wrote:So, WW1 or IrrKlang do not use any installed VC DLLs ?

I can confirm that WW1.EXE uses the built-in VC standard libraries that are linked inside the game executable and that it loads the irrKlang DLLs. Then these DLLs should work alone, without getting access to any runtime VC lib... But if this can generate a conflict with any VC runtime lib installed on your PC... who can say? To my opinion, no... hopefully!

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am

Franciscus wrote:So, WW1 or IrrKlang do not use any installed VC DLLs ?

Franciscus, what is exaclty your issue with sounds and XP in connection with WW1G? Could you describe me please?

Franciscus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:31 am

jadam wrote:Franciscus, what is exaclty your issue with sounds and XP in connection with WW1G? Could you describe me please?

Basically my game does not load if sounds are enabled.
I describe my problem in this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14051.
Read on from post # 13 :)

The strange thing is that my hardware is the same and last year WW1 worked OK. I installed a new AV, but my game still hangs if it is disabled.
I did upgraded to XP SP3, with a bunch of upgrades and I think some program installed some VC DLLs that I did not have. But I am not sure...

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 am

Franciscus wrote:Basically my game does not load if sounds are enabled.
I describe my problem in this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14051.
Read on from post # 13 :)

The strange thing is that my hardware is the same and last year WW1 worked OK. I installed a new AV, but my game still hangs if it is disabled.
I did upgraded to XP SP3, with a bunch of upgrades and I think some program installed some VC DLLs that I did not have. But I am not sure...

Actually I have SP3 as well and recently installed !!!all!!! the windows updates, maybe that's the problem.... :)

Franciscus

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 am

jadam wrote:Actually I have SP3 as well and recently installed !!!all!!! the windows updates, maybe that's the problem.... :)

I am unable to prove it, but I also have the suspicion that my problems were caused by the Win XP updates (but whch one/ones ??)

Knowing of some problems with SP3 I had always stayed clear of it, until recently, and do you know why ? :bonk:
Just to be able to install the latest version (and plug-ins) of Paint.NET, to make some portraits for missing Portuguese rulers of the Ageod game, PON... :cool:

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Franciscus wrote:I am unable to prove it, but I also have the suspicion that my problems were caused by the Win XP updates (but whch one/ones ??)

Knowing of some problems with SP3 I had always stayed clear of it, until recently, and do you know why ? :bonk:
Just to be able to install the latest version (and plug-ins) of Paint.NET, to make some portraits for missing Portuguese rulers of the Ageod game, PON... :cool:

Hehe, quite funny... :) or rather sad...

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Unfortunately disabling music and sound did not help for me...

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Does WW1G use DirectDraw or Direct3D for rendering? Maybe the problem is in connection with DirectDraw?

jadam
Private

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:23 pm

WoW!!!! Found it!!! It was that my motherboard has onboard gfx chip and it was not disabled in BIOS and maybe it got into conflict with the real PCIe one when I installed drivers (it installed drivers for the integrated instead of the standalone gfx card) and maybe WW1G somehow (unlike other apps) found and used the onboard one instead of my hd 5670. Now that I disabled it the game has 60 fps!!!

I'm very happy!
So everyone with similar problem as mine can just go and disable his onboard integrated gfx chip to let the real gfx card do the work.

Thanks for all of your help,
Adam.

Edit: actually more than 60 fps, sometimes 75, 85 fps! Very good indeed. Now I try the game itself! :)

Franciscus

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:23 am

Good for you :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I have no onboard gfx chip, so that's not the cause of my problem... :(

Nikel

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:24 am

Congratulations!

Sure this info is very useful for Calvinus :)

Franciscus, have you both an onboard sound and a sound card?

Franciscus

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:30 am

Nikel wrote:Congratulations!

Sure this info is very useful for Calvinus :)

Franciscus, have you both an onboard sound and a sound card?

Hi, Nikel :)

No, I have only an onboard sound chip (Realtek)

Nikel

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:37 am

OK, your problem is different of course ;)

calvinus

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:51 am

jadam wrote:WoW!!!! Found it!!! It was that my motherboard has onboard gfx chip and it was not disabled in BIOS and maybe it got into conflict with the real PCIe one when I installed drivers (it installed drivers for the integrated instead of the standalone gfx card) and maybe WW1G somehow (unlike other apps) found and used the onboard one instead of my hd 5670. Now that I disabled it the game has 60 fps!!!

I'm very happy!
So everyone with similar problem as mine can just go and disable his onboard integrated gfx chip to let the real gfx card do the work.

Thanks for all of your help,
Adam.

Edit: actually more than 60 fps, sometimes 75, 85 fps! Very good indeed. Now I try the game itself! :)

Great news! And my congratulations for the huge effort you've put to resolve this problem!

I hope CrazyIvan will read soon your post, provided he experienced the same problem.

frgo
Private

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:50 am

Hello !
I have the same problem on a computer that i have formatted : before the game has turned perfectely, but now it's unplayable.
I think it's come from my new graphic card (an HD 5750) because it's the only element that i have changed.

An another game, sim city 4, has the same problem since the Disk formatting

And y cannot use the "use one core" laucher because i'm on windows XP

I signaled this problem but i will not be able to run many trials because the problem is on my "campaign's computer" and i will return to city tomorrow afternoon.

calvinus

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Can it be something related to the hardware acceleration of your vcard? Do you have to do some settings? :blink:

frgo
Private

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:42 pm

calvinus wrote:Can it be something related to the hardware acceleration of your vcard? Do you have to do some settings? :blink:

No, i don't have make any change on my card settings

Tamas

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 am

stabbing in the dark, but perhaps a Directx version problem? Or videocard driver version?

frgo
Private

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Tamas wrote:stabbing in the dark, but perhaps a Directx version problem? Or videocard driver version?

I have installed the latest ati driver when i have formated and i have no problem with other game like PON, mount and blade or Skyrim

calvinus

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm

If you disable the Play Intro option, do you still have the black screen?
Same with Sounds Disable?

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”