Rafiki

Welcome to "Boardgame Central"!

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:51 am

Hi everyone!

Since we know that more than a few of our forumites also are fond of games that aren't played on computers, we'd like to provide you with a venue where boardgames can be discussed, reviewed, recommended, even disparaged (if justifiable ;) )

So, come one, come all! Is "Risk" the best boardgame of them all? Is "Fire in the East" worth the time it takes to set it up? How well does 1830 portray cutthroat rail/stock competition? Is "Settlers of Catan" ripping of its customers by having separate expansions for 5-6 players? I dunno, but I'd sure like to talk about it! :)

Best regards,
Rafiki
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:34 pm

When you create a thread, please prefix the name with the language you use if not English, as this is a multi-language forum.

For example

[FRENCH] - Pour quelques arpents de neige.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Boardgames?

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:22 pm

English- wow are things getting this slow? What is your favorite opening in Chess? :p apy:

Dixicrat
General

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:06 pm

For me, I think that my favorite board game was Gulf Strike, which dealt with contemporary conflict in the Persian Gulf. Unlike many other strategic simulations that I've played, it actually contributed to a better understanding for me of the geopolitical factors of the area, the military capabilities and limitations of the countries there, and so on. I don't remember who it was by; Havely says SGI, but I'm not sure.

For beer drinking, cigar-smoking, back-stabbing fun, few games beat Diplomacy, which dealt with WW I. I believe it was by AH. Whereas most board games of that era were designed for two players, Diplomacy didn't come into its own until you had four, five, or even better, six or seven people playing! Interestingly enough, a lot of the fun came from the secret discussions and complex deal-making that would occur between allies away from the board. I recall that the crowd that I played with were of the consensus that it was "RISK, on steroids"!

AH's ASL was something that I wanted to "get into", but it was almost like a religion with its enormous rule book and add ons and fanatical devotees and so forth. The few times that I played were enjoyable enough, but I seem to recall that there would be frequent, long interludes of looking stuff up in the rules.
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:02 am

Gulf Strike was a Victory games release.

Victory was made up of former SPI people that went to work for this branch of Avalon Hill rather then TSR, whom they felt killed board wargaming.

Guz
Private

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:07 am

When I was around 14 I moved to a new town. One of my friends father collected all those games from that time period (70s). he had all sorts of titles but never played any of them except for rail Baron. Rail Baron was a real favorite in those days. The bad part was, while I wanted to play those awesome looking war games they had on their shelf I could never get any takers. It was Rail Baron or nothing!

My friends and I ended up playing D&D which was a ton of fun as well though! Later in life I had to find games that you could play solo and the only one that comes to mind is Squad Leader (I think that was it)((Banzai?)). Later in life I bought AH's Civil War and lucked out having a friend who wanted to play it as well. He always insisted on playing the south though! I'm still pissed about our last game we played, He invaded and captured Washington DC and won the game....

Thank Heaven for the internet and even console gaming. Panzer General on the Playstation was awesome and is still a big reason I have a passion for gaming today.

No more board games for me these days unless its Monopoly with the kids!

Bo Rearguard

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:33 pm

I was always very fond of Avalon Hill's PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader/Arab-Israeli War family of platoon and company level games. They weren't as detailed and realistic as Squad Leader, but they were simpler and easier to learn. You could actually play them in the time it took to fight a tactical battle wheras with Squad Leader you spent 15 minutes in the rule book trying to figure out if your squad could actually cross that open cornfield with MPs remaining because a sudden torrential downburst had turned it into a muddy quagmire...yadda, yadda yadda. That stuff is what computers were invented for. :neener:

My favorite of the lot was Panzer Leader which was set on the Western Front in 1944-45. AH came out with a variant version for 1940 as well.

Duckman
Sergeant

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:05 am

I dont play too many wargames, but Friedrich is an amazing achievement and I highly recommend it, since even non-wargamers are prone to be talked into playing a game:

Basic concept [from the official designer's notes]: Life is writing the best stories. Therefore it was clear right from the start, that the principle Everybody-against-Frederick and the sudden death of the Tsarina should be the inner engine of the game. The Cards of Fate were born in the first minute -- and with them the possibility to spotlight en passant the fascinating figure of Frederick the Great and of the whole era. From this thought the second one can be easily deduced: Draw a historical accurate picture; but never stop being a game; have slim rules and avoid mechanical nightmares; but always offer the players a great depth and a lot of decisions to be made; and finally base everything on a novel concept. The novel concept is the unification of board and -- classical card game.

PhilThib

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:10 am

We have it, very interesting indeed.... ;) :thumbsup:

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:22 am

Bo Rearguard wrote:I was always very fond of Avalon Hill's PanzerBlitz/PanzerLeader/Arab-Israeli War family of platoon and company level games. They weren't as detailed and realistic as Squad Leader, but they were simpler and easier to learn. You could actually play them in the time it took to fight a tactical battle wheras with Squad Leader you spent 15 minutes in the rule book trying to figure out if your squad could actually cross that open cornfield with MPs remaining because a sudden torrential downburst had turned it into a muddy quagmire...yadda, yadda yadda. That stuff is what computers were invented for. :neener:

My favorite of the lot was Panzer Leader which was set on the Western Front in 1944-45. AH came out with a variant version for 1940 as well.

Panzer Leader 1940 was GREAT.

I thought it was the most fun out of this series, a game where a speed of 6 was FAST and a gun range of 3 was normal! :mdr:

blutcher712
Civilian

Re: Welcome to "Boardgame Central"!

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:28 am

Hi there, I am very passionate for Board games, and also fond of Star Board games , Warhammer, Pandemic, Catan Board games. So i have recommendations them who can suggest me to got all these games at one place. And also share me to rules and regulations of playing all that games. For any kind of Board game's information i too have a great site where to i explored many more about Board games and other games, you too can your own. All the best.

Shini
Civilian

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 am

Is anyone interested in sorry! and monopoly?
GB WhatsApp download

Jessiebull
Civilian

Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:30 pm

Shini wrote:Is anyone interested in sorry! and monopoly?
dls 2022 unlimited coins and diamonds

I really love playing Monopoly.. Can anyone tell me some more games like it?
I just love computers & Games!

macpiluop
Civilian

Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:47 am

As i played many of the games i liked GTA 5 and battlefield in which their graphics are high ended. I prefer all to must play these types of games during your gaming sessions.online insta reels save

Return to “Boardgame Central”