yoppy
Sergeant

the remembrance of ww1 while playing the game

Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:15 pm

I think learning and playing this game is a good way not to forget all the madness and cruelty of war especially of ww1.
I'm from germany and here only a few people still know the meaning of ww1 and nearly no one knows about 11.11 as armistice day.
2 years ago I visited Verdun for a weekend. It was very impressive.
History for me is important. We can learn from our former generations not to do the same mistakes again.
Today a german online-magazine published a short film from a french photographer (in french with german subtitles) about the verdun battlefields
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/zeitgeschichte/0,1518,589686,00.html
- worth looking.

PDF

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Very good film- plus it's in French ! ;)
I think that France is the country were WW1 is still the more vividly remembered - but because it was fought here for the most part, in the West.
For Germany it was more or less officially "forgotten", and was overshadowed by WW2, and now it's a long time ago.

Rafiki

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:41 pm

[color="Blue"]Moved to the "WW1 history club"-forum, since this relates more to the "real" WW1 than the game itself :) [/color]

Thanks for the link :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Syt
Colonel

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 am

World War One is hardly at all remembered in Germany, for what it's worth. Mostly because the Third Reich towers immenselsy above anything else in German history. I doubt many Germans could tell you much about The Great War except the years and that we had a Kaiser. And that there were trenches. There has been an attempted revival on TV in past years (e.g. there was a rather outstanding Verdun documentary a year or two back based on participants' correspondence, mostly), but it's still as distant to most people as the crusades.

It's not much different in Vienna (which is where I live). The memory of Imperial glory and the Habsburgs is vivid here (what with all the buildings etc.), but it is very romanticized, and remembering World War One limits itself to a small, obscure memorial on the "birthday" of the republic in November 1918. But ask anyone about Caporetto, Strafexpedition or that Lviv/Lvov was once an Austrian fortress and you get blank stares.

I had to chuckle, though, that in Graz there's a Conrad von Hötzendorf Straße, though. :D

Return to “WW1 History club / Discussions historiques sur la Grande Guerre”