jcrohio
Lieutenant

U-Boat Question

Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:41 am

Have been rereading the rules for WWIG and as I mostly play the Entente have a question. How do U_Boats work for the CP? What I mean is that when you purchase them do they automatically join the the submarine war (assuming Germany has taken the political action submarine warfare) or do you have to place them somewhere?

Just not sure how they work.

Thanks
Jack

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:36 am

jcrohio wrote:Have been rereading the rules for WWIG and as I mostly play the Entente have a question. How do U_Boats work for the CP? What I mean is that when you purchase them do they automatically join the the submarine war (assuming Germany has taken the political action submarine warfare) or do you have to place them somewhere?

Just not sure how they work.

Thanks
Jack

Hey Jack,
U-Boats and submarines actually come in two flavours: new construction built in the Shipyard tab and those built under the U-Boat tab of the construction screen. Those built in the Shipyard appear on the map as naval units. They may be sent on patrol and are vulnerable to attack and destruction. These have two principle roles; possibly attacking an enemy naval force causing attrition and/or increasing the probability of triggering an ambush situation between surface forces in the same sea zone.

Only Austria-Hungary and Germany can build submarines in the Shipyard but Italy can build one unit of MAS (Motor Torpedo Boats) that serve the same function. Britain, France Italy, Germany and Austria begin the Grand Campaign with at least one submarine flotilla each and my Naval Mod added them to the Russian and United States navies.

U-Boats built using the U-Boat tab are abstracted to represent the war on trade and the German attempt at counter blockade. These are tracked in the U-Boat war box located in the upper North Sea where the Allied ASW forces are also tracked. The number of available U-Boats are used to determine the column to use in the Submarine Warfare Table. U-Boat warfare is checked every Interphase and a large number of boats can wreck havoc on the British economy and National Will. However, they're expensive to build and vulnerable to technology (Depth Charges) and Political Actions (convoys). Allied ASW forces are all the DD and CL units at sea in the Channel, North Sea or North Atlantic during any Interphase and these can serve to dominate and render the U-Boat commerce war largely ineffective. The AI seldom builds enough submarines to matter but my Naval Mod added the option for Austria to build them as well.

Hope that this helps.

-C

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey Random
Hope every thing is good. As usual thanks for the help. Funny but this game fascinates me. Cannot pull away from it completely. Love the connection with the board game.

So if I read what you are saying correctly, all you have to do is purchase a u-boat and the game will automatically place it into service in submarine warfare. Does this sound correct?

Jack

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Yep, that's it and when the Interphase rolls around you will get the results in negative EP and NW effects on Britain along with U-Boat losses if any. Germany can begin up to three U-Boats per interphase and when using my Naval Mod Austria-Hungary may begin one.

The German Player is not entirely a passive spectator and can play at least two U-Boat related political actions, as I recall Restricted Submarine Warfare and Unrestricted Submarine Warfare. Both provide huge bonuses in the U-Boat's favour in resolving submarine combat in the Interphase after the successful adoption of the action but thereafter things return to "normal". Both actions also serve to damage diplomatic relations with the USA and should not be used lightly. Building up the U-Boat arm before attempting the political actions can pay big dividends but only in the near term. It takes three Interphases (as I recall) to build a U-Boat, which is pretty reasonable.

Yes WW1G is extraordinarily deep and nothing that I have read about any of the newer competitors makes me want to walk away from it, flaws and all.

Take care.

-C

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”