vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

A request for help - Does anyone know how to get WW1G to work in Windows 7?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 am

This is a fantastic game, but it always crashes when I am resolving battles in the first turn of the 1914 scenario. It works okay for small scenarios like Tannenburg and Serbia. I have disabled the UAC, but it crashes after several great battles. Everytime. I like the look, artwork and resolution of this game much better than the centennial version, which has its own problems, including skipping battles without resolving them.

I have tried starting it with a batch file, but the maps will not load after I click on a scenario, and make no progress.

I really want to be able to play this version, and would appreciate any tips as to how to get it to work.

sandman2575
Corporal

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:26 am

Vaalen, Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm able to play Gold with good stability on Windows 7 (64 bit), so rest assured it can be done. But that doesn't solve your immediate problem.

Have you modded the game in any way? If so, try uninstalling all mods. My experience is that the game can get fiddly with even slight modifications. For example, I usually play Gold with a program that loads the game in a lower resolution (not my native res) -- which for the most part works fine, but at some point I was getting constant crashes whenever I tried to start up a Grand Campaign, always after the Warplans phase. Had no idea what was causing the persistent crash, so tried disabling the resolution program and playing in my native resolution and voila, no more crashes after Warplans. Weird, but it worked.

Also, what settings do you have set in the Configutator? My experience here is: the fewer options selected the better.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 am

Hi Sandman, thank you for help, I appreciate it!

I have no mods. The options I have checked in the configurator are:

Lock full screen mode
Enable sound effects
Load all maps at start
enable in game musics
AI memory
Load all maps at start
The resolution is set to 1024x768
The option to use the WW1gold map

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Try unchecking Lock Full Screen Mode. I seem to recall hearing that it could cause problems. I always uncheck that setting.

sandman2575
Corporal

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I'd also try unchecking the 'load all maps at start' option - I definitely leave that off.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Sandman, Fred, you are amazing! I took your good advice, and the turn that I always got a crash on passed without a flaw, into the next turn.
Thank you, you have saved this wonderful game for me!

sandman2575
Corporal

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Great to hear, Vaalen. Hope it will continue to be stable for you. WWI Gold is without question one of my favorite grand strategy games, and it always gladdens me to hear others are still playing it. I have hopes that "Centennial Edition" may even improve things and widen (somewhat) the audience for this amazing game -- time will tell.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 am

Alas, I wrote too soon. It crashed during the battle portion of the second turn. No settings were changed. The one thing I did differently is that I clicked on the breakthrough button and set that up before I deployed the troops and committed the first corps unit - I do not know if that had anything to do with it, but it crashed while I was resolving that battle.

If it is not that, I am wondering if it is more stable in the strict turn, army by army mode.

sandman2575
Corporal

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:28 am

Sorry to hear that --- :(

For what it's worth -- I play with all 'strict turn army by army' options enabled, plus I enable "advanced breakthroughs".

Have you tried the more radical surgery -- completely uninstalling WW1 Gold, doing a 'safe' registry sweep with Eusing Registry Cleaner or CCleaner, restarting and then reinstalling the game from scratch?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:36 am

sandman2575 wrote:Sorry to hear that --- :(

For what it's worth -- I play with all 'strict turn army by army' options enabled, plus I enable "advanced breakthroughs".

Have you tried the more radical surgery -- completely uninstalling WW1 Gold, doing a 'safe' registry sweep with Eusing Registry Cleaner or CCleaner, restarting and then reinstalling the game from scratch?

Sandman, that is very helpful. The small scenarios work fine, and I am hoping that playing as you do means that the computer will only have to deal with one armies battles at a time, which may put less stress on it. I will try this.

I have not tried the more radical solution you mention, but I want to try playing army by army with the same settings you use. Thanks again!

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am

Just played a session with CE tonight on my laptop. Made it through the October 1914 turn (4-player Campaign) with no issues at all. The performance difference between Gold and CE is night and day.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 am

fred zeppelin wrote:Just played a session with CE tonight on my laptop. Made it through the October 1914 turn (4-player Campaign) with no issues at all. The performance difference between Gold and CE is night and day.

Fred, I have had a number of issues with CE, including battles being skipped, and sieges being skipped. and the Entente AI running away without fighting on the first two turns of the 1014 scenario.I suspect we have different systems, and that game works fine on yours.

sandman2575
Corporal

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Hope you're relatively crash-free now, Vaalen.

I've actually gone back to Gold after playing Centennial Edition for a few days. CE would clearly be the 'go to' version all things being equal -- the performance and graphical enhancements are great. But it still becomes unplayably laggy after a few turns. Also there are some annoying bugs for players used to WW1 Gold -- the 'stars' that are supposed to appear on the Army sprites, indicating Army or Detachment number, don't show up, making it hard to tell what army is what (or rather, they only intermittently show up and then disappear again... annoying...)

ngomaichi
Conscript

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:33 am

Try unchecking Lock Full Screen Mode.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”