H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

I really am glad you like it fred. i think we all have known the feeling of getting something and it just won't work or it is really bad. Not saying WW1Gold is, but i know some have had issues.

I remember the worst game I ever got was a game made by Eidos that was kind of an RTS based on Scotland during the Braveheart time. Man, that game was so bad. And they just left it the way it was.

sandman2575
Corporal

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 am

I bought CE tonight, possibly against my better judgment. I want to support the devs who put this together over at DigitalFroggies, and based on the game's good points, they are worth supporting. But the lack of communication and clarity about basic information (has a patch been released? some say yes, some no? how can we tell?) is truly exasperating.

As Queeg and others pointed out, the performance gains are very real. Load times are *much* reduced, which is great. Plus, the game is visually sharper than Gold. I can play at 1920x1080 without eyestrain -- couldn't do that with Gold. These improvements alone are worth the price of admission.

But I can't play for more than a few turns before the game becomes terminally laggy. In that sense, Gold is still way more stable than CE.

I really hope DigitialFroggies can pull their act together. CE has the potential to reinvigorate a truly great game, but I fear the glitches and lack of communication about what is going on with the state of the game is going to scare away potential customers. I held off purchasing because of that, but tonight thought, what the hell, i'll give it a try. CE will be worth every cent of the $20 pricetag, and then some, if the devs can right the ship of what has been a fairly botched initial game release.

Greybriar
Corporal

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Until 15 September 2014 World War 1 Centennial Edition is on sale at GamersGate for $10 U.S.
Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. --Calvin Coolidge

alfie200000
Civilian

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 pm

I enjoyed playing WW1 GOLD,does anybody know if this game works with XP as I would very much like to try it out.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 am

WW1 Gold runs on XP, so I'd be surprised if CE doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure.

I just got it on sale, it runs a heck of a lot faster on my laptop, but I haven't had the chance to play much yet.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 pm

I have heard from others but cannot confirm myself that CE does not work with XP. I don't know if it doesn't work at all or just runs poorly, but my understanding is that CE and XP don't play well together.

PhilThib

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey guys, may be it is time to abandon XP.... (although I did so reluctantly myself only last year...but Win7 is quite good once you get used to it) :mdr:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Willing to play pbem in some time either this (gold version) or CE. CE seems a bit faster but didn't play much. And did anyone observe AI improvement mentioned? Does anybody have on going games either pbem or solo, how is it? Is it necessity to play with historical warplans mod by Random.

poweraxe

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 am

I've got an ongoing game with the CE, having played a lot of the gold version in the past. I'm not that far in yet, so I cant say yet if the AI is better or not. It does sometimes attack recklessly in my experience. I would like to try it MP sometime, tried it in the past with gold but it was always quite unstable; I wonder if the CE version is better in that department.
"In a year of war the regular army had vanished. It was replaced by an army of ignoramuses"
- General Alexei Brusilov

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks poweraxe,
I have played vs AI until mid 1915 and despite some black textures after a couple turns it ran fine. Reloading the game solves it. About AI, with the third difficulty setting it can ran out of supply&isolated in some theaters but not too bad I think. Especially for playing with army activation mode. Maybe playing pbem mode is to go rather than realtime MP for better stability.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:07 pm

poweraxe wrote:I've got an ongoing game with the CE, having played a lot of the gold version in the past. I'm not that far in yet, so I cant say yet if the AI is better or not. It does sometimes attack recklessly in my experience. I would like to try it MP sometime, tried it in the past with gold but it was always quite unstable; I wonder if the CE version is better in that department.

I doubt the AI is any different in CE vs Gold. I don't think they changed the core game - they mostly worked on making it run.

I've seen the AI be a bit overaggressive in spots. But I prefer that to passivity. I still find it to be a reasonable challenge, especially if I try to play historically.

I haven't tried CE in MP, but I would imagine it runs better than Gold there too.

Egg Bub
Major

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm

When is this game coming back on Steam? I heard about some legal dispute in August which led to it being taken down.

Egg Bub
Major

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Egg Bub wrote:When is this game coming back on Steam? I heard about some legal dispute in August which led to it being taken down.

From what I have read it seems foul play may have taken place... I hope AGEOD were not involved. :(

orpheus
Civilian

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

Egg Bub wrote:From what I have read it seems foul play may have taken place... I hope AGEOD were not involved. :(

From the steam forum it looks more like Slitherine than Ageod... I like the game a lot though

Acciaio
Conscript

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Is it possible to play a multiplayer game with just 3 players?

Egg Bub
Major

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:13 am

Acciaio wrote:Is it possible to play a multiplayer game with just 3 players?

Yes?

Acciaio
Conscript

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Egg Bub wrote:Yes?

Well, we've tried. But being just 3 the host couldn't start the game!

Egg Bub
Major

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Acciaio wrote:Well, we've tried. But being just 3 the host couldn't start the game!

Well that is disappointing. Maybe you can play with 2 people on one team and just use the 2 player campaign.

ngomaichi
Conscript

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:31 am

Also at Steam. DO we owners get a steam key??

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”