loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

help

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Trying to get to terms with this. Done the tutorials and in a fit of optimism decide to move onto the Tannenburg campaign.

In the tutorial, when I clicked on an army, on the lhs was the commander details on the rhs the units in the army. In the scenario the rhs is blank (ie no corps are shown), and I can't move any units (this is with the Russians). I can't proceed as a message comes up about the AI being busy, tells me to hit the spacebar but that makes no difference. So the whole thing seems stuck, clearly I'm missing the obvious but it is a wee bit frustrating :confused:

Have read the manual (honest) - well the sections on movement and combat - and can't see what I am doing wrong.

Help ...
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

clandini5
Corporal

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:04 am

Not sure how much this may help but when I start up the game I hit the F9 key - that may not be a solution for you or there may be a more proper key to use. Hope this will help

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Well Loki if you can't do it we are doomed.

I occasionally try this game, but my tries and it are a bit erratic. I just loaded it up - this is the gold version patched to 1.08q.

I have to press pause to get the AI to start - this is a weird key combination of Fn+Shift on my laptop, yours may differ.

I then have three generals on the right, one of whom is locked. I didn't have any bottom left army and general information until after the AI did it's thing. Click on top right general, then click on the army centred (in Rossieny) - then the bottom left bit highlights. Move the army to Konigsberg - the little red flag should go green. It's compulsory to attack or some such.

Note I find sometimes the moving of armies hard as the hand doesn't grip sometimes, and I find the allocation of re-inforcements strange. Also the victory defeat screen is odd - mine just said some thing like "Entente Wins! German victory!"

I'm going to try again with this game as it is topical - and you can show off in the pub about knowing of alternatives to the Schlieffen Plan.

Oh, and mine - played on a laptop does crash every so often - so frequent saves is advised.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 pm

some more questions if you will indulge me. I'm convinced that somewhere in here is a great game, but the level of frustration in getting there is pretty immense - even simple things like lining up the units in the combat box take 5 mins of failed click and drag.

So I've now played 3 scenarios.

In the Serbian war, if I play Austria I get a decent win, if I play Serbia I get a draw or narrow defeat. To me that sounds like I am playing the same game from both sides since its clear the Austrians start much stronger. I'm sure that with practice I can improve but it gives me some re-assurance I have the basics right.

If I play the Tannenburg scenario as the Russians I can never find away around the blocking German forces on the border. If I play the Germans all my units are locked and the Russian army gaily wanders past in straw boaters on its way to set a game winning siege of Konigsberg. So I am clearly not playing the same game with both sides since the outcome and experience is utterly different. I have a fear I may be pressing the end turn button too soon but that is due to not being able to find any other way to activate the AI except by saving the game.

If I play the 1914 scenario as the French, I lose all of western France having effectively been forced to wreck my army on day 1. If I play as the Germans I get hung up on the borders - again my experience of the game is utterly different which makes me very suspicious.

So, in a desire to go beyond frustration:

a) what is the foolproof way to ensure your units are properly lined in the combat screen (this goes wrong so often I resort to the auto command just to get it to work)?
b) why are my perceptions of 1914 and Tannenburg so different it feels like I am playing a completely different game if I swap sides?
c) how do I know if I have accidently made the turn advance?

the game does have a habit of crashing/hanging up but can cope with that - its what the save button is for :)
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

I just got a Russian victory at Tannenberg (albeit with the funny message "Entente wins. German Victory") but all the little gold stars were lined up by the russian flag and I took Konigsberg.

Move the Russian 1st Army to Konigsberg, but set it to defensive, not red - offensive.

Move 2nd army to Tannenberg.

It then took about 3 turns for Tannenberg to fall. When I got reinforcements I sent them mostly to 1st Army.

I have settings on easiest, and no fog of war for me. I run all battles on auto.

--------

I then tried it again as Germany but it crashed and I'm too tired to bother again tonight, sorry.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 am

Well I did try again as Germany, after a beer.

First turn you do nothing as everybody is locked.

Move German army to Konigsberg, but on defensive.

Leave cavalry unit near Tannenberg on defensive.

Should get victory at Konigsberg. Next turn send German army from Konigsberg to Tannenberg on offensive.

Result: got a draw.

Tried again: but it crashed. Sorry.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”