Taillebois
General of the Army

Where do I get 1.07L for the original non Gold game?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 pm

I actually own the old game and Gold, but buggerated something when installing 1.08Q for Gold.

So I've deleted everything. Re-installed original up to 1.06 - where do I get 1.07? - I have tried looking around forum a bit but I'm clearly too stupid to play this game.

Also, re-downloading Gold from Gamersgate in describes it as WW1 Gold (Old) - just to confuse me I guess.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Ok well it's buggerated again.

I installed the Gold upgrade. It got an error "DeleteFile failed; code 5. Access is denied.

And on start up it won't accept either the original serial number or the upgrade one.

Why doesn't stuff just work?

Nico165
Lieutenant

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Are you logged in as admin ?

Try this (replace the "guitartracks.exe" thing with the gold upgrade exe obviously) :

Windows 7 and Vista Users:
Windows 7 and Vista users may come across the error "DeleteFile failed; code 5 access denied" when installing a Cakewalk product under a user account with limited privileges. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

Restart your computer, and log in with another administrative user account. If you are already logged in as the Administrator, you will need to run the installer manually as Admin:
Insert your Cakewalk CD or DVD installation disc.
Note: If you are using a downloaded version of the installer, skip to step 4.
Close out of the auto-run screen (if displayed) go to Computer, right-click on your DVD/CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
Find the Setup.exe for the installer. It should be located in the Install folder. For example, GT Pro 4's installer is located under \Install\GuitarTracks_Setup.exe
Right-click on the .exe and choose "Properties."
Then click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window that opens.
Check "Run as Administrator".

If this steps above do not work there is no other User Account to log into, please create a new one with Administrative rights. Click here for some tips on creating a new user account. Your permissions for the current user account might be corrupt. A new User Account will have fresh privileges, and hopefully work for you.

Make sure nothing else is running while you're installing the program, such as virus scanners and so on. Choose Start | Run and type MSCONFIG. Click OK, then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the window that opens. Uncheck all items listed, click OK, then restart your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later time. If you have any realtime monitoring software running like Spy Doctor or Zone Alarm, please disable them from within the program.

I dont think you need to apply any pre 1.08 patch on the old game before installing the gold upgrade.

Other possible explaination would be that the installer can't delete a file because it's open or running somewhere. Closing everything before running the installer should solve it.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I uninstalled everything - well it said I had.

I shut down computer. Reloaded WW1 original - it seemed to start.

Added gold update - failed serial number. The install said " Create process failed.; code 740. The requested file requires elevation."

I've uninstalled everything again. now trying to start again with original game.

I'm on the dreaded Windows 8 too.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Suggest that you do not accept the default location when the option comes up and install directly into the C:\ (that is your main) drive rather than into the Program Files folder.

Win-7 and 8 both seem to give all sorts of trouble with games that are installed into Program Files where most older game installers default to.

Good Luck.

-C

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 am

Or you could install it to another hard drive like I do and have zero problems.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for your replies.

I installed in C:\AGEOD\WorldWarOne

I'm back to 1.06h - works - at least a quick scenario play through did.

Can I do a completely separate install to put the Gold upgrade on - just so I at least have one albeit old version that works. i'm so exhausted from uninstalling, installing, serial number entering etc. Added to which I decided to make use of time whilst doing one install and synchronise my phone on another laptop - just to find it deleted all my contacts. I've clearly upset the data gods.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Ok I went and bought a new copy of Gold from Game UK - only £4.99 and installed that. It was 1.08p in the disk (part of Military Strategies 2) and I patched to 1.08q. Seems to work though still get some funny messages - e.g. Tannenberg scenario - Russia wins but message is "Entente Wins - Germany Victory." Oh well, never mind

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Two days and nobody posts on this forum. It is now a good game, but there are a million posts on paradox about new EU4. Thanks again to Calvinus for producing something so different and persevering after the first release.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 pm

There's not much discussion here but questions and problems are addressed when somebody has answers. My basic modding guide posted last week got over 100-views in a couple of days but sadly zero response so I doubt that I will continue with more.

It's the nature of the beast I expect. In the way of computer games it is an "old" title and the game got off to such a rocky start when released. I suspect many were chased away then and they cannot be bothered to see what became of it. Now that it is far closer to achieving its potential most have moved on to other things, newer and perhaps more shiny games that lack the depth and attention to detail of WW1G.

I visit here every day when online and there's usually lurkers out there but sadly, few stay to post.

-C

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”