TheDoctorKing

Redeploying the British

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 pm

And here's another newbie question:

I can't seem to redeploy the Brits in the Redeployment Phase. They are mostly in Belgium. Is this an issue? In my current game, it is the beginning of 1915 and we have managed to hold on to a good bit of Belgian territory including Antwerp and Bruxelles - the Germans went to the south through the Ardennes, shades of 1940. So British I Army is in Mons and the region to the NE, while II Army is in Douai and it has a detachment in Mons. I would like to move the I Army northeastwards to Bruxelles and Antwerp while II Army fills in and the French take the Douai hex. But I can't seem to make it happen. Any ideas? Or is this a bug or a feature for some reason?
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Strategic redeployment must be from one owned province to another owned province as designated by the flag displayed in the provinces where the units are and their intended destination. You can redeploy British units within the British Isles, Africa and those parts of the Middle East already owned by the Empire but you cannot do so in Western Europe under normal circumstances since most provinces there will be owned by France or Belgium.

I don't think of it as a bug but that's just me.

calvinus

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:43 pm

I remember something was tweaked for the particual case of Britons, allowed in in France and Belgium...?
I don't recall how it exactly works now, sorry.
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

TheDoctorKing

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 am

You would think that they could change the flag on regions they enter. So at least you could redeploy Brits between regions that they occupy. I realize that there were historical issues between the British and French commands in France.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:You would think that they could change the flag on regions they enter. So at least you could redeploy Brits between regions that they occupy. I realize that there were historical issues between the British and French commands in France.

I agree but do not know how to fix it. Even if only the Map Areas of Nord and Vlaandern allowed BEF redeployments. Sadly, I cannot recall the tweak that Calvinus mentions and a search of the Forum here and at Matrix shed no light on a possible solution.

Looked at the map files and cannot see a way to mod for this effect.

One can always edit the save file of the Redeployment Phase to move the British to the desired province but this is an inelegant and cumbersome solution.

-C

Edit
Provinces that British forces capture from the Germans (and so showing the Union Jack symbol) can be redeployed into but there is sometimes a problem with redeployment in that (as I recall) you cannot trace a redeployment path over an area you do not own. During the Redeployment Phase, click on the unit and all of the possible destinations will be highlighted yellow.

poweraxe

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Most of the time I solve this problem by using the one of the British armies to (re)take regions in northern Belgium, and just treat that as the British part of the front, where most new British troops are transported. The AI once used this effectively to stop me in the West, by redeploying the British I and II armies plus the Grand HQ to one particular region they took from me. I do agree it would be helpful if a few ports in northern France and Belgium would be usable for British redeployment.

calvinus

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 am

Sadly I do not recall what tweak we discussed and I developed for the Britons. Maybe the quickest way is to check the yellow pulsating areas for Britons during the Redeployment Phase... are French and Belgian ports allowed? :neener:
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”