Turbo823
Captain

Give the AI more time - Good or bad?

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 am

Does this really improve the AI's gameplay and is it really worth it?

I want a good AI opponent but I am wondering whether giving the AI more time, is giving it more time to find ways to lockup the game (such as the blinking brain battle lockup) :bonk: . I really don't want to have to sacrifice good AI play unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance for your constructive thoughts.

Tamas

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:35 pm

It has been quite a while that I played with that option turned off. What I remember is that it wasn't a dramatic change for the AI, but it did matter a bit. And the turn times aren't bad with it turned on either, (I have an about 4 years old quad core CPU, with 32-bits Windows running on it).

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:27 pm

I tried it when I first started playing WW1 Gold but found that it would frequently sit for far too long or seem to lock up in a loop and never complete the turn. However, this was in an earlier version 1.0.8L or before so I don't know if this performance improved or not.

Definitely enable AI Memory (in the WW1 Configurator), allow all AI behaviors and Fog of War (from the in-game menus) are recommended. I found that setting AI aggressiveness in the middle helps to minimize the low odds spoiling attacks that can eliminate the AI RP pool in less than a year.

You can also tweak the AI behavior using the files in [color="#00FF00"]...\World War One Gold\Data\AI\Modding[/color] folder but use with caution and save the original files somewhere safe. Disregard this if you already know about them.

Good Luck!

Turbo823
Captain

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 pm

The blinking brain lockup disappeared with: no AI additional time. Experimenting around, I've been able to play non stop for well over an hour without any issues. Here are my settings for WIN7 64:

- AI additional time: not enabled
- Load map at start: enabled
- Load sounds at start: not enabled
- AI memory: enabled

Running multi-core desktop shortcut without compatibility mode but running admin.

Random - thanks for the good suggestions. Game is running much better!

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I load all sounds at start as well but don't know if it makes any difference. On an older dual-core CPU with Win XP can get generally 4-5 consecutive turn in before problems crop up but generally save, exit and reload every two-turns or so. Not sure what the problem is (probably graphics related since most of my lockups seem to happen when scrolling the map although Load Map at Start helps) but I stick with WW1G because it's a great game and well worth putting up with its quirks.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”