Random
AGEod Veteran

Monthly Turns?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

While I can live with the 9-turn game year in WW1G, I believe it does have some issues that could be solved with a 12-turn game year IE, monthly turns.

To this end I have been working on a mod to do this but have been unsuccessful to date. I have created in the Data\DB\GoldScenarios folder a new Scenarios.csv file and a scenario folder named "GrandCampaignMonthly that contains a new Turns.csv (with 66-turns), TurnRules.csv, Reinforcements.csv and a new .doc file for the Data\Scenario folder.

Have also created edited events files to correspond with the 66-turn game (as opposed to the stock 50-turn Grand Campaign).

The new scenario now displays in the Game Menu (with some text anomalies) but attempts to load it cause a CTD.

Is it even possible to mod the game for monthly turns?

Editing the Modding\Game Texts files has no apparent effect and there seems to be no way to link textual modifications to the ...\ Dictionary\ExternalStringsUK.txr file where it seem that the required texts are kept. What file hold the external strings used by the game and is this editable?

What other files need editing if a monthly turn mod is practical.

Should I manage to get a monthly mod working properly, I intend to post it here along with the usual rationale.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

- C

calvinus

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:52 am

I should install your mod and catch the CTD. Otherwise I cannot check and know if the mod is to be tweaked or also the game code is to be adapted.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Files now attached!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks Calvinus, will do but not before a couple of days at best. Accidently trashed several modded files for this due to violating my own editing and naming conventions; Dumb...

Have to re-write and test before zipping up and sending.

Edit
The attached files are works in progress and I'm sure there is far more to be done. As modded, WW1G crashes when selecting the Monthly Turn scenario from the game single-player menu but I cannot detect where the problems start.

I suspect part of the problem is with the modded Resources\ExternalStrings.h file but that's just a WAG.

Take great care when dropping these files into your WW1G installation and back up everything first.

Good Luck and Thanks for checking this out.
Attachments
WW1G_Monthly_Turn_Mod.zip
(113.09 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:00 am

Bump!

Files for testing are in Post #3.

Averkinen
Sergeant

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:56 am

You`re great mate, very very thanks you! :w00t:
Sorry for my bad English. ;)

calvinus

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello, the herewith attached version of the mod does not crash. You did not replicated the scenario for the non-Gold version.

Edit: I tested one turn of play, no crash, the mod seems to work fine. But it needs deep testing of course... ;)
Attachments
WW1G_Monthly_Turn_Mod_corrected.zip
(144.27 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow, Thank You Calvinus!

I Never would have thought of that but with 20/20 hind sight it makes sense. I will plug it into the Generic Mod Enabler and see how it works.

Basically there are only three games that see regular use on my computer; the new Steam and Iron The Great War at Sea by NWS, World War One Gold and FS9.* Thank You for making WW1G even better than new!

-C

* Being retired has some perks to go along with near poverty!

Edit
Issues remain with descriptive text, events, victory conditions and war plans but at least the CTD problem appears solved. I will continue to tweak this now and will upload when all seems to work as it does in 9-turn per year Stock. Thanks again!

wodin
Sergeant

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 am

How did you get on with this mod?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Cancelled. Too many issues discovered in testing.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”