NefariousKoel
Captain

Single Core Mode Slower on my Win7 64??

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

I heard that running in single core on windows 7 64bit would make it run more smoothly.

While not terrible, I'm always up for a little cursor smoothness improvement. However, everything seemed to slow down somewhat in single core mode. Was this only a problem with Intel multi-cores? Because I'm using an AMD Phenom Quad.

Anyway, mine seems to run best regularly. Does anyone else's or am I just a freak? :wacko:

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

I also have an AMD quad core. Tried the single core to see if I could increase performance.

My results were same as yours, i.e., game was slower.

Franciscus

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am

In my laptop with win7 and Intel icore7 CPU the game was unplayable in the normal mode and is incredibly better in single core mode. Some hiccups persist, namely when a message/newspaper appears, but I think this is "normal"

Maybe this is something only Intel related.

Nevertheless, the only issue that the single core mode solves was a terrible mouse lag all over the screen (apparently a problem restricted to some users - like me - with Win 7 and Intel icore7 CPus). If you do not have this problem no use to try this mode, IMHO.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

I have a dual boot PC (XP SP3 and Win7) i7 975 so I can specifically test the difference on how different games play between the XP SP3 and Win7. In testing WW1 Gold, I can play the game on my Win7 side using normal mode and no mouse lag or any other difference from the XP SP3 side.

I did try the single core program that Calvinus included and it made zero differrence on how the game ran in the Win7 side versus the XP SP3 side. As a result, you may have something else causing your problem.

Franciscus

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:32 pm

I do not know what exactly was my problem but I can assure that it was solved in single core mode. I also have 2 different computers running WW1 - desktop with Intel E7400 dual core, windows XP SP2 (no mouse lag ever), and laptop with Intel icore7, Win 7 64 bits (terrible lag in normal mode, solved in single core).

Of course this problem is nort widespread - many users jave Win7 and reported back then no problems. But I, and others had lag and it was solved in single core mode.

Of course, in this like in other things in life, if in your case it is not broken, do not fix it ! :)

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Francisus:
I think I know why you have "mouse lag" on your Win7, i7 laptop and not on your regular PC.

The i7 is multicore and I am guessing that it's base speed is ~ 1.6 MHZ (but with single core turboed up to ~ 2.8 MHZ). As a result, with WW1 running in multicore mode, it will run your game at the slower multicore speed of 1.6 MHZ (less than the WW1 optimal speed) , but when you force WW1 to use the single core to play the game, you are then running the game at the faster 2.8 MHZ speed and that removes the "mouse lag".

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”