06 Maestro
General

Multi-Player Guide

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 am

As I have been a fan of WW1 since its release and enjoy a good multi-player game I put together this guide. The guide is organized into two parts; part one deals with router and security configurations and part two deals with the multi-player game set up with some tips.

There are many different combinations of ISPs', router and LAN configurations. This guide will not work under all circumstances, but I think that many, or most will be able to use it with success.

The settings offered here have been tested many times over. The information was compiled from both practical experience and from much online research. It may be that some will still need a VPN such as Hamchi to be able to play online, but if you can avoid that, why not? Odds are that you can do it yourself. You do not need to be an IT pro to complete the configuration guide-it can be done in less than an hour.

The WW1 online gaming community is only just beginning. As more players become involved there will be more information as to what works under various situations. If we share that information, we can create a great online community to fully enjoy this game.

Eddit:To make this as simple and fast as possible, just try port forwarding alone, along with the required AV and firewall settings. If you do not use a router, then only the firewall and AV need to be adjusted. It just may be that is all you need. Those 2 areas can be modified in 10 minutes. If that does not work, then add the other steps.

I hope you find this helpful.
Attachments
WW1 Multiplayer Guide; Part One.rar
(717.11 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

06 Maestro
General

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 am

Part two of the guide covers game specific settings and tasks.
Much of this guide is somewhat basic and is intended to help get players though the first connection. There are a few tips in the last section regarding online play that you may find useful.

Be advised that army reactions will likely cause a loss of sync in online play. It is advised that the Host player disables "reaction" in the game menu at the start of the game. The settings on the host PC are automatically transfered to all joining players. This is one of those so called "regressive" bugs that appeared in the G patch (IIRC). Hopefully, we will have a fix for that soon. In the meantime, the game is quite playable without that one option selected. Options should be discussed before you begin the game.

The general information section is a small beginning. Please feel free to comment or to make suggestions for additional information.

I hope that you find the guide helpful.
Attachments
WW1 Multiplayer Guide; Part Two.rar
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 1101 times

hattrick
Lieutenant

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Nicely done & thank you!

06 Maestro
General

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:58 am

hattrick wrote:Nicely done & thank you!

You are most welcome. I know that you can connect now-(we played a game this evening-Hattrick hosting) how about some of the others around here? ;) :

Give it a try, chaps. MP gaming can be great.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:29 am

Hello and thanks for the guide, i will be very happy to play multi, bought it 2 days ago,(played ROP some similarities but not to much) but first i need to know basics in gameplay. i will practice the game and if you are available we can play :)

06 Maestro
General

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 am

baris30 wrote: i will practice the game and if you are available we can play :)

You bet! I will be around when you are ready. I suspect there will a good number of opponents available in a short time. The game is ready for MP play.

If you are planning on jumping in to MP play quickly, I would suggest you focus on the army by army mode after you get the basics down. Starting off in a small scenario that deals only with the military end of things is a good way to start. By the time you can handle the '14 scenario-you will be ready.

Enjoy!

And-you're welcome.

NefariousKoel
Captain

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:32 pm

I'll check this a little down the road.

I'm busy testing another game right now, but I still plan to give you a multiplayer game of WWI sometime in the not-too-distant future. :thumbsup:

06 Maestro
General

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 am

NefariousKoel wrote:I'll check this a little down the road.

I'm busy testing another game right now, but I still plan to give you a multiplayer game of WWI sometime in the not-too-distant future. :thumbsup:

Sounds good. I will be looking for a game (1914 scenario to start) in less than a week.

Mitra
Captain

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:52 am

I will be interested after complete the single player campaign i'm playing now. Only because of my connection (my provider is a area lan with optical cable, my NAT cannot be bypassed because the port management is on the provider hands), I shall need to use VPN (tunngle I prefer).

I launch a proposal to Ageod: why don't integrate IPV6 to your games? Actually exist many software (example freenet) which permit to have a IPV6 free, and being not games which requires low pings values, these will be ideal for use IPV6 for play. IPV6 will bypass the problem of ports and permit multicast, and a bigger amount of info for each packet.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”