von Sachsen
Captain

Technologies and Combat Doctrines

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Despite fully funding technology and only choosing a few technologies as the manual recommended, but I have yet to successfully reaserch barely any technology (in a few games until mid 1915 only once was I successful) while the opposite side seems to be much more sucessful. The same happens with combat doctrines such as Flash Bombardment and so on. Are there any tips you can give me?

cleveland
Corporal

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 am

I don't know if this was happening to you but I was under the impression that only picking Germany to research tech was the way to go. It so happened that I misread the manual and both Germany and Austria can research. After that my trench level went up and I'm now at Chlorine gas. I found that out too late.

In your case it could be as simple as the die rolls that determine tech advance.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:36 pm

cleveland wrote:I don't know if this was happening to you but I was under the impression that only picking Germany to research tech was the way to go. It so happened that I misread the manual and both Germany and Austria can research. After that my trench level went up and I'm now at Chlorine gas. I found that out too late.

In your case it could be as simple as the die rolls that determine tech advance.

All major powers can potentially research technology, including Britain.

In fact, it makes sense to have Britain fuel the bulk of tech research because it can afford it with its budget.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 pm

von Sachsen wrote:Despite fully funding technology and only choosing a few technologies as the manual recommended, but I have yet to successfully reaserch barely any technology (in a few games until mid 1915 only once was I successful) while the opposite side seems to be much more sucessful. The same happens with combat doctrines such as Flash Bombardment and so on. Are there any tips you can give me?

Use Event Cards linked to Tech Research to get bonuses on your rolls.

Also, keep in mind that you can research as much as 5 projects per alliance, with one roll for each.

On the Entente you should be easily able to fund the 40EP per Interphase, which significantly increase the odds of researching projects with each passing Interphase.

Finally, check once in a while to see if some techs are in public domain. You have to research them, but it has a 100% chance of succeeding.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Does over/underfunding research do anything?

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Overfunding brings no benefit.

Underfunding (less than 40 EPs) makes technolgical researchs considerably less efficient! :(

06 Maestro
General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 pm

The Cp is limited to 4 projects if/until Italy joins-then it will be 5.

Nice to know about over funding-was wondering about that.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”