Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Thinking of buying....

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi there, Im thinking of buying La Grande Guerre, I play other AGEOD games mainly by Pbem (AACW, NCP)..... are there many who have played or play this game by Pbem?

arsan

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi
This game has no PBEM functionality.
It can be played in multi player but on TCP-IP. But no PBEM as during turns and battles both players must make multiple decisions. Playing a turn could take dozens of PBEM exchanges :bonk:
The game system is completely different from the rest of AGEOD's games.

In any case, if you are interested still maybe you should wait until the currently in development "Gold version" is launched. It will have lots of improvement and a completely new and "horizontal" map :)

Cheers!

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for your swift answer Arsan :)

any estimate on when the gold version of the game will be available?

arsan

Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Nope! :bonk:
But Calvinus (the developer) should know! :) Let's wait until he comes around!

PhilThib

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:24 am

It is underway now... the new map is ready, Calvinus is working on the battle logs and AI improvement. Will still need some time though :cool:

Andriko
Corporal

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:59 am

There is a gold version!!!! Great.

Other wise I would have said get it, it was a little buggy at first but that was fixed, the learning curve is steep but not as bad as it could have been, above all else, there is no other warfare game that even attempts to deal with WW1 in this detail. The game itself is excellent, and i'd love to see the team attempt a tactical level game of ww1 - WW1 tactics became incredibly complex by 1917, and a great game depicting this would be great for historical study aswell :p

calvinus

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:21 am

The first reports concerning the latest AI improvements are very good. The game has achieved a good strategical level... you will find out it by yourself as soon the Gold Edition will come out! ;)

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 am

arsan wrote:In any case, if you are interested still maybe you should wait until the currently in development "Gold version" is launched. It will have lots of improvement and a completely new and "horizontal" map :)

Cheers!

I suppose of course that this upgrade-update of the game will be free for those who trusted you from the start and bought the game almost a year ago?
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

arsan

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:45 am

This is what Thibaut explained about that on another thread
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=155737&postcount=9
Seems pretty fair to me. :)

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm

arsan wrote:This is what Thibaut explained about that on another thread
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=155737&postcount=9
Seems pretty fair to me. :)

Seems fair? I bought a game that didn't work,then spent countless hours as an involuntary beta tester,tried to help make the game actually work.(I actually paid for this "fun").Then Ageod tells me to pay for the "Gold"(working)version.I have a physical copy of the game,so if I get gold,I only get a download for the extra price? I should at least get a physical cd disc for my money. :(

Generalisimo

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 pm

vonRocko wrote:Seems fair? I bought a game that didn't work,then spent countless hours as an involuntary beta tester,tried to help make the game actually work.(I actually paid for this "fun").Then Ageod tells me to pay for the "Gold"(working)version.I have a physical copy of the game,so if I get gold,I only get a download for the extra price? I should at least get a physical cd disc for my money. :(

As a customer, you have all your right to complain about what you don't think is fair... but really, there is no way a small company like AGEOD can send a CD/DVD with the new WWI-Gold version to all the WWI owners for FREE... that's just not posible.

There have been a lot of threads, explanations (officials and non-officials) and related customer service answers when WWI was released. WWI was the first game ever that I saw the developer offering a FULL REFUND if you were not happy with the game. There is no need to go back in time to start again with the "problematic" release of WWI. ;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

vonRocko
Colonel

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

I just want to say, I do not want to return the game. I always liked it and saw its' potential. What does bug me is paying, for what is essentially a patch, to get the game I SHOULD have gotten a year ago. I know some will say "this is more than a patch". But this "gold"edition just puts the game in the state it should have been on release. Is this going to be Ageods practice from now on? I guess,like paradox,I will have to wait a year or two after a release to buy a game from Ageod.

Evren

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm

vonRocko wrote:I just want to say, I do not want to return the game. I always liked it and saw its' potential. What does bug me is paying, for what is essentially a patch, to get the game I SHOULD have gotten a year ago. I know some will say "this is more than a patch". But this "gold"edition just puts the game in the state it should have been on release. Is this going to be Ageods practice from now on? I guess,like paradox,I will have to wait a year or two after a release to buy a game from Ageod.

I understand your frustration, but i feel obliged to bring out a few points in your post that seems kind of prejudgemental:

1- We don't really know what the Gold Version is going to look like, since it's not released yet. Maybe it's really "more than a patch". We don't know if this "gold edition" puts the game in the state it should have been on release (from your words). And we also don't know if they're going to stop patching the original version. If it's only the interface and map issues that's bugging you, i think at the end it was a design choice, not a bug. I don't believe that it's something that should've been there at the initial release, i prefer the map as it is now and personally i don't prefer to play the game again on a totally new map. This is a matter of personal tastes.

2- "Is this going to be Ageods practice from now on?"

Do you sincerely believe that? I mean, these guys' only release that resembled an expansion pack was BOA 2. And they released this years after the release of the original BOA. As a customer like me, who started playing Ageod games with AACW and didn't want to go back to a more primitive version, BOA 2 was a real good catch, since it brought all the new features that were developed after the release of the original BOA.

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm

You're right Evren, I should wait till it is out before I rant. ;)

Generalisimo

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:34 pm

vonRocko wrote:I just want to say, I do not want to return the game. I always liked it and saw its' potential. What does bug me is paying, for what is essentially a patch, to get the game I SHOULD have gotten a year ago.

That's very arguable, considering that you can play the game like it was designed. The game in its current state "works as designed". ;)

vonRocko wrote:I know some will say "this is more than a patch". But this "gold"edition just puts the game in the state it should have been on release.

Again, that's arguable... why should have been like this "before"? you base that assumption on what? your own feelings? Then there is nothing I can say to you, but like I said before, the game right now is WAD. A lot of things can be improved, like in any game, but that's a different thing.

The game is being improved into a new state.... a lot of new hours are being spent by Luca and Phil to bring the game to a new standard.
Who will pay for those new manhours? :confused: ;)

vonRocko wrote:Is this going to be Ageods practice from now on? I guess,like paradox,I will have to wait a year or two after a release to buy a game from Ageod.

OH MY.... :blink:
You base that assumption on what? the release of BOA? the release of AACW? the release of BOA2? the release of NCP?... eh, nope, none have been released like that and none of them have a "Gold version".
So, based on past experiences, I do not know why you should think that it is more secure to wait 2 years to buy a game... IMHO, if all the customers did that, there would be no AGEOD to make games... remember, AGEOD LIVES THANKS TO ITS CUSTOMERS. ;)

Of course, we do not need to agree, I am just expressing a different point of view. Just like I said before, as a customer you are free to express your opinion, even if you feel frustrated... but really, I can asure you that the last thing AGEOD wants is to "steal" your money. ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

vonRocko
Colonel

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Generalisimo wrote:

remember, AGEOD LIVES THANKS TO ITS CUSTOMERS. ;)

Whether I remember it is not important, let's hope Ageod remembers that. :)

Generalisimo

Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:44 pm

vonRocko wrote:Whether I remember it is not important, let's hope Ageod remembers that. :)

You can be sure they know :thumbsup: ... that's why they have been patching a game that it is two years old, adding new features for free into it... features that were developed for the new games... ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

Strat_84
Private

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Generalisimo wrote:that's why they have been patching a game that it is two years old, adding new features for free into it...

Well, the game is actually one year old, there's nothing exceptionnal to keep patching it right now. One year is usually the amount of time even the worse companies keep supporting products those days.

Then, if most of the original buyers didn't ask for refund, that's because they thought insured the game would be finished properly. But if we have to pay for this update, AGEOD is just going to cheat the customers that bought the game first, and that's not acceptable.

dooya

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Strat_84 wrote:Well, the game is actually one year old, there's nothing exceptionnal to keep patching it right now. One year is usually the amount of time even the worse companies keep supporting products those days.

Then, if most of the original buyers didn't ask for refund, that's because they thought insured the game would be finished properly. But if we have to pay for this update, AGEOD is just going to cheat the customers that bought the game first, and that's not acceptable.
Generalisimo was speaking about Ageod's American Civil War, if I am not mistaken.
No quote - No bullshit!

calvinus

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Just to give you a preview of one new feature from the Gold version:

the Battle logs...

Generalisimo

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:40 pm

dooya wrote:Generalisimo was speaking about Ageod's American Civil War, if I am not mistaken.

Exactly... ;)

Thanks for pointing it out... :thumbsup:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Johan
Conscript

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 pm

I will buy the Gold version. This game has so much potential :)

Rexor
Sergeant

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I will also be purchasing this game, as long as the AI is decent. I've been following the game's development and history and it looks like one-of-a-kind. Looking forward to it.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."—Samuel Johnson

calvinus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 am

And here a preview of the gold map... this is a screenshot captured by the Alsace-Lorraine West Front sector in 1914...

calvinus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 am

Evren wrote:...and personally i don't prefer to play the game again on a totally new map. This is a matter of personal tastes...

For those ones who will prefer to play with the old map, I introduced an option in the WW1 Configurator Tool of the Gold version, that will allow you to switch from the new map to the old one, and viceversa.

In such a way, you will be allowed to benefit all other improvements while preserving the old style map. ;)

Carnium

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 pm

calvinus wrote:And here a preview of the gold map... this is a screenshot captured by the Alsace-Lorraine West Front sector in 1914...

This looks more like WW1 :thumbsup: :coeurs: :neener:
Any chance to make the map b bit brighter as it seems a bit too dark?

Leeds
Corporal

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 pm

When will the Gold version be actually released?

calvinus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 pm

Carnium wrote:This looks more like WW1 :thumbsup: :coeurs: :neener:
Any chance to make the map b bit brighter as it seems a bit too dark?

Brighter? :blink:
It's already much much brighter than the actual version.
Probably you feel it's dark because of fog of war... :)

calvinus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm

Leeds wrote:When will the Gold version be actually released?

I think not before February 2010.

06 Maestro
General

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 am

The new map looks great-I'm looking forward to using the new map and improvements. :thumbsup:

BTW, since there is obviusly new info to be made available, shouldn't Ageod have a forum for the Gold Edition? At least a sub forum of WW1 seems in order. These nice screen shots could esily fall into the forum abys never to be seen again. A causal reader of this forum may not even notice anything about a new/updated game.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”