Flop
Major

Commiting units

Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm playing with patch 1.06d, and I've had trouble commiting units a couple of times. The last time it happened, I attacked the Russian 1st army with the German 8th army. I had 3 infantry corps in my stack, plus another 3 infantry and an artillery corps in reserves. After commiting an infantry unit and fighting the first round, I brought out my artillery from the reserves, but I was unable to commit one of my remaining 2 infantry corps to combat. When trying to drag either of them into place, I got an error message saying that the units had probably suffered a shaken result on the previous round (neither of them had been involved in any combat so far).

After trying to drag them into place a couple of times, the battle ended with my defeat. I guess the game decided that I had no more units to commit.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this a bug? I don't think I encountered this with any of the previous patches (although I haven't played the game since 1.05-something).

yoppy
Sergeant

Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:53 pm

I have problems with commiting the units, too. Can anyone explain the rules for commiting units in a simple way?

dougbush93
Captain

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Flop wrote:I'm playing with patch 1.06d, and I've had trouble commiting units a couple of times. The last time it happened, I attacked the Russian 1st army with the German 8th army. I had 3 infantry corps in my stack, plus another 3 infantry and an artillery corps in reserves. After commiting an infantry unit and fighting the first round, I brought out my artillery from the reserves, but I was unable to commit one of my remaining 2 infantry corps to combat. When trying to drag either of them into place, I got an error message saying that the units had probably suffered a shaken result on the previous round (neither of them had been involved in any combat so far).

After trying to drag them into place a couple of times, the battle ended with my defeat. I guess the game decided that I had no more units to commit.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this a bug? I don't think I encountered this with any of the previous patches (although I haven't played the game since 1.05-something).

Were you unable to commit infantry corps from reserve? 1.06D implements the "1 corps or Artillery per round rule" for bringing in reserves (it is on page 47, but was never in effect in the game), so if you brought in Artillery after round 1, you would then have to wait until after round 2 to bring in an infantry corps from reserves.

-Doug

Flop
Major

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:00 pm

Yeah, I know. But I started with 3 infantry units ready to go. I wasn't able to commit any of them after the first round, though.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm

Floppy: That is what this game (WWI) is: a flop!! t

Rafiki

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:34 pm

tagwyn wrote:Floppy: That is what this game (WWI) is: a flop!! t

Luckily a sizeable and increasing number of people disagree with you, Tagwyn :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

yoppy
Sergeant

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Rafiki wrote:Luckily a sizeable and increasing number of people disagree with you, Tagwyn :)

+1

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:34 am

tagwyn wrote:Floppy: That is what this game (WWI) is: a flop!! t

I disagree also

Johnny Canuck

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 am

I have to go with the monkey on this one, too. :)

AndrewKurtz

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 am

Johnny Canuck wrote:I have to go with the monkey on this one, too. :)

Ditto.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 am

This game had a tortured birth, but it growing strong and smart-sales looks to be increasing too-certainly not a flop at this stage of development.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:33 am

yoppy wrote:I have problems with commiting the units, too. Can anyone explain the rules for commiting units in a simple way?

It was my understanding that you could commit one new unit every other round-after the first round. It seems to be working for me, but am still getting familiar with this new rule.

calvinus

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 am

Just to clarify: the limit of 1 unit reserve call per round is applied also when the unit(s) come from the Rear. That means you are strongly limited also in redeploying units from one flank to the other. So be careful now... battles are now much more tactical than before! ;)

Flop
Major

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 pm

calvinus wrote:Just to clarify: the limit of 1 unit reserve call per round is applied also when the unit(s) come from the Rear. That means you are strongly limited also in redeploying units from one flank to the other. So be careful now... battles are now much more tactical than before! ;)

So if I have 3 infantry units in the rear and an artillery unit in the reserves, and I'm fighting a 1 flank battle, I'd have to do the following to avoid having a unit fight 2 rounds in a row:

round 1: commit an infantry unit from the rear
round 2: commit another infantry unit from the rear (putting the one from the first round in the flank), and bring out the artillery from the reserves (and put it in the rear)
round 3: commit the infantry unit from the first round (which is in the flank, assuming it wasn't out of combat in the last round) and bring the artillery into the flank and commit it.

Is this right? Previously, I brought the artillery directly from the reserves to the front line, as soon as I could (round 2), but if I understand correctly, this would mean that I can't commit a new infantry unit from the rear, which means I automatically lose the battle, if the unit from the first round is out of combat (since I'm unable to commit a new unit, except for the artillery).

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”