Andriko
Corporal

Encircled HQ's

Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 am

How come we are not allowed to destroy an encircled HQ? It is incredibley frustrating to have to chase one all over my rear (hehe :p ) anddosn't really make sense, seeing as encircling an HQ is the whole point. Couldn't all of its units get destroyed, and then the HG 'card' just get taken off the map to be replaced during reenforcements?

Nial
Colonel

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:31 am

Good question. While we are at it. Why can't encircled arty be captured intact? ;)

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 am

Some were historically, but the majority was useless because armies of different nations had different calibers for their artilleries (and thus could not use shells beyond the required original ones).

For instance, if you look at the field artillery guns, the French had the 75 mm, Germans the 77 mm and Russians a 76.2 mm... sometimes they could reshape captured shells for their own use, but most of the time the guns were just dumped... ;)

Forezjohn
Corporal

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:38 pm

PhilThib wrote:Some were historically, but the majority was useless because armies of different nations had different calibers for their artilleries (and thus could not use shells beyond the required original ones).

For instance, if you look at the field artillery guns, the French had the 75 mm, Germans the 77 mm and Russians a 76.2 mm... sometimes they could reshape captured shells for their own use, but most of the time the guns were just dumped... ;)

Interesting,
But what about those bloody indestroyable HQs? :bonk:

PoorBoy2001
Sergeant

Isolation

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:14 am

HQ's are destroyed thru "isolation". Not sure if it is implemented in WW1, but here is how it works in the boardgame:

• Isolation is different and more severe than out of supply.

• Units can become isolated at any time, including during the opponents turn.

Line of Communication

• A Line of Communication (LOC) is five contiguous hexes linking a unit to a supply source or relay.

• LOC is blocked by:

• The ZOC of an unbesieged enemy fortress;

• Hexes occupied by enemy corps;

• Impassable hexes (lake, sea, mountain crest or high mountains, neutral country).

Conditions

• A stack is isolated if it is totally surrounded and cut off from supply source or relay.

• A stack is also isolated if it cannot trace LOC.

Effects of Isolation

• Each isolated unit must make an attrition test at the end of the military phase (§38).

• At the end of the second consecutive turn of isolation, each isolated unit is destroyed.

• -2 DRM to the morale check of an unsupplied or isolated unit.

Isolated Army

• If an isolated army stack contains the HQ, the army may use a maximum of one RP and 2 MUN if involved in combat.

• If the army stack containing the HQ is isolated in a national city, or isolated and linked by rail to a national city, it may use the blue value of the city in RP.

• Any RP used are deducted from the national stockpile.

• An isolated unit may never destroy units to obtain RP.

Andriko
Corporal

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:36 am

Well, The units are encircled (encircled symbol) and have 'appeared' behind my lines because i had trapped them in one costal province (calais i think) and afterwards just popped up in an open field in which no of my units had passed and so was technically still 'french'. so now i need to chase them out, when personally the three hq's, the one GHQ and the entire BEF really should have been completley annialated - they were, in every sense of the word, surrounded.

As for the rules, i have read in a few places that an HQ CANNOT be destroyed, but isolated corps can. My main point is really that i havn't seen any explanation for this and cannot understand why it has been done.

calvinus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:17 am

Can you post here the zipped savegame (both .SAV & .MAP), so that I can check what's wrong, please? ;)

calvinus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok, I found and fixed a bug in Isolation. The isolation counter was resetted every time you load the game. Fixed. Next patch. :love:

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”