joram
Private

Interception Exploit?

Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 pm

First, I've had the game for awhile but have been waiting for stability to increase so I've barely gotten into this game. So forgive me if this is a silly question.

I know this is much less concern after trench warfare starts (or so I think as I haven't actually gotten that far), but it seems you can use interception to slide across rivers or into more favorable terrain which makes you the defender. The main issue I have with this is that you can intercept into an enemy territory across a river thus giving me a free way of crossing it without having to deal with the river penalty. Is this WAD?

I have noticed a perhaps related bug with this though is that I have used it successfully to cross the Danube (or that other one perhaps) into Belgrade without worrying about the defensive modifiers. This is in the Serbia scenario where it's easily repeatable. Anyway, the bug is that siege just won't begin, ever.

Now, if I cross into Belgrade normally, siege combat began for me. Well, it did once and then never did again so I might be missing some fundamental siege rule as I know I didn't own Belgrade.

That's about all I've been able to glean I still suffer from constant lockups, especially if I finish a short scen. and start again. But that's not the only time. :confused:

calvinus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 am

joram wrote:First, I've had the game for awhile but have been waiting for stability to increase so I've barely gotten into this game. So forgive me if this is a silly question.

I know this is much less concern after trench warfare starts (or so I think as I haven't actually gotten that far), but it seems you can use interception to slide across rivers or into more favorable terrain which makes you the defender. The main issue I have with this is that you can intercept into an enemy territory across a river thus giving me a free way of crossing it without having to deal with the river penalty. Is this WAD?

I have noticed a perhaps related bug with this though is that I have used it successfully to cross the Danube (or that other one perhaps) into Belgrade without worrying about the defensive modifiers. This is in the Serbia scenario where it's easily repeatable. Anyway, the bug is that siege just won't begin, ever.

Now, if I cross into Belgrade normally, siege combat began for me. Well, it did once and then never did again so I might be missing some fundamental siege rule as I know I didn't own Belgrade.

I do not remember if there are constraints concerning major rivers and/or enemy territory for Interceptions. I will have a look at rules and do the proper corrections. ;)

joram wrote:That's about all I've been able to glean I still suffer from constant lockups, especially if I finish a short scen. and start again. But that's not the only time. :confused:

Every time you finish a game/scenario, I suggest you quit the game and launch again the application.

joram
Private

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:25 pm

calvinus wrote:I do not remember if there are constraints concerning major rivers and/or enemy territory for Interceptions. I will have a look at rules and do the proper corrections. ;)

Every time you finish a game/scenario, I suggest you quit the game and launch again the application.

Thanks though in my poorly worded post I was also trying to get at if there was some bug with sieges if I moved to a province through interception or if there is some misunderstanding on when a siege happens. I thought it was always but that certainly doesn't appear to be true. Can't seem to find anything specific in the rulebook.

And I sincerely hope you aren't serious about having to quit game every time. That's a 5+ minute operation and strongly discourages me from playing any of the minor scenario's. Is this something to be fixed?

calvinus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 pm

joram wrote:And I sincerely hope you aren't serious about having to quit game every time. That's a 5+ minute operation and strongly discourages me from playing any of the minor scenario's. Is this something to be fixed?

It sometimes happen when you close a scenario and start a new one. Not always, but sometimes, depending on how much RAM you have. The more you play during the same game session, and the less RAM you have, the worst is for the game. So I suggest you to quit the game.

Franciscus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:34 pm

calvinus wrote:It sometimes happen when you close a scenario and start a new one. Not always, but sometimes, depending on how much RAM you have. The more you play during the same game session, and the less RAM you have, the worst is for the game. So I suggest you to quit the game.

?? Unless I am mistaken, the definition for what you are saying is "memory leak" ??

IMHO, you should correct it, Calvinus

joram
Private

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Yes Franciscus, I'm trying to be patient and not to get upset with the curt responses as I know calvinus is under a lot of pressure but yours is the type of answer I'm looking for. :)

And for +3 time, any comment on the siege issue.

calvinus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 pm

The definition "memory leak" is correct. Unfortunately, as you argued, I'm currently overwhelmed by tasks for the new game version 1.06 that we must deliver for next week. So I'm forced to choose the priorities, being the only *1* developer working on WW1... :cuit:

I hope you will forgive me.. :love:

calvinus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:53 pm

joram wrote:And for +3 time, any comment on the siege issue.

I will have a look at that point tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

calvinus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm going to revise the Interceptions across rivers stuff, according to the original boardgame rules:

- no interception is possible across a major river (a minor river is eligible), lake, strait, or across a high mountain (alpine) hex.
- A stack may nonetheless intercept across a river, if one of the banks contains a city or a town under your control.

:thumbsup:

Edit: I double-checked the rules, interceptions in enemy territory may take place, provided no major river is present (unless one friendly town/city can help). ;)

Aphrodite Mae

Memory leak?

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:47 am

Franciscus wrote:?? Unless I am mistaken, the definition for what you are saying is "memory leak" ?

I have to agree. I think the game has a major memory leak.

Every time I play the game, the game becomes slower and slower, until the frame rate has dropped to an almost unplayable state. When I check the frame rate of WWI when it starts really bogging down, it's often something like less than 7, and sometimes less than 1!

The cursor sporadically freezes, and it's impossible to scroll when this happens. I know it's not my hardware, because I can run Oblivion, Half Life 2, and other graphics-intensive games at a frame rate of nearly 40 frames per second.

If you'd like more specific hardware details, I'll be glad to provide them.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:55 pm

deleted

calvinus

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:45 pm

I did not experienced the progressive downgrade of game performance described by Aphrodite Mae, but I have 4GB RAM indeed.

So I'm going to perform a detailed profiling test on RAM consumption.

Dixicrat
General

Thanks for helping my wife

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks to both of you, Gray and Calvinus, for your advice, effort, and help!

Your Alt+Tab suggestion was a good one, Gray, in dealing with the memory leak of Mae's Colonization game play, and so this was the first thing that we tried. (I'd never heard of the technique, until you suggested it. :) ) However, that trick doesn't seem to work in this case.

We already run a bare-bones config whenever we game, so that won't help in this case, either. But you're right, Gray, it does add several fps... and that's really helpful when you're battling two trolls in a wind-swept field of tall grass, in Oblivion! :cool:

As for low RAM... well, yes, only 1 GB of RAM does tend to be a bit crowded, running VISTA Business. I'll buy her more RAM, sooner or later; for now, we're using "Ready Boost", which provides a Swap File for the OS, rather than "extending memory" as you might think at first. (I have to confess that I never would have dreamed, 15 years ago, that there would come a time in my life when a gig of memory "just wasn't enough". :blink :)

calvinus

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm

The beta-patch 1.06B is ready, as posted in another thread. It will be published between tonight and tomorrow morning latest. I will make some profiling tests for the memory leaks stuff during the next hours. ;)

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”