Offworlder
General

Observations on the latest patch...

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:13 am

Hi

I'm patched up to the latest which has made the game pretty stable, though it seems that in 1916 it could get a bit heavy for my compy. Also I usually play CP. But for my latest observations...

Every time I manage to make Russia surrender, I always get attacked on the next turn by a Russian unit. This leads to the game stopping immediately (not crashing). Since the surrender document says that there will be peace without annexations or something of the sort, does this happen because I haven't moved my armies from the occupied territories.

Stormtroopers (again!). According to the manual they are to be linked with a corps or another. How does one do it and is it a permanent arrangement? I still haven't managed to get the infiltration doctrine. Also is it wise to distribute stormtroopers and tanks among the armies or concentrate them in a few units?

Strikes and rebellions. Quite often most of the CP powers are suffering from strikes which even the restore order political choice doesn't really remove. I'm not really sure about their effect except when the armies feel the effect of desertions. Frankly they have become too random.

The Ottoman Empire: one of the most interesting factions to play. Yet, one gripe I have is that on paper there are a large number of units (infantry) which are virtually unbuildable. Once the Anatolian corps and Yilderim mountain troops are trained, one can't train other corps. Is there a reason why?What is interesting is that later the Othman stormtrooper unit is buildable.

Balkan minor countries: Each arrive without generals for their armies. Can't we have something similar to Belgium and Serbia, whose armies are led by unsackable generals? This is especially true for Bulgaria (Zhekov).

Also Greece should have a more powerful navy. It is well known that though most of its navy was obsolete, it had one AC which wreaked havoc with the Ottoman navy in the Balkan Wars. Actually Greece having a slightly more powerful navy would make it a more interesting nation, since its army is pretty small, even when comparing it to the other Balkan nations.

Hope not to have bored you all out of your wits! :neener:

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am

Offworlder wrote:Every time I manage to make Russia surrender, I always get attacked on the next turn by a Russian unit. This leads to the game stopping immediately (not crashing). Since the surrender document says that there will be peace without annexations or something of the sort, does this happen because I haven't moved my armies from the occupied territories.

A bug in battles against surrendered nations has been fixed. Next patch.

Offworlder wrote:Stormtroopers (again!). According to the manual they are to be linked with a corps or another. How does one do it and is it a permanent arrangement? I still haven't managed to get the infiltration doctrine. Also is it wise to distribute stormtroopers and tanks among the armies or concentrate them in a few units?

You have to commit the stosstruppen in battle and fight a successful combat round. They will be so "attached" to the committed corps and will stay there until demoralized or out of combat...

Offworlder wrote:Strikes and rebellions. Quite often most of the CP powers are suffering from strikes which even the restore order political choice doesn't really remove. I'm not really sure about their effect except when the armies feel the effect of desertions. Frankly they have become too random.

I have added a difficulty check in mandatory random events, such as Strikes, Nationalist Agitations and Colonial Uprisings. This will give them much less chanches to happen. Next patch.

Offworlder wrote:The Ottoman Empire: one of the most interesting factions to play. Yet, one gripe I have is that on paper there are a large number of units (infantry) which are virtually unbuildable. Once the Anatolian corps and Yilderim mountain troops are trained, one can't train other corps. Is there a reason why?What is interesting is that later the Othman stormtrooper unit is buildable.

Caused by the RP flow? No idea, I have to investigate... :sherlock:

Offworlder wrote:Balkan minor countries: Each arrive without generals for their armies. Can't we have something similar to Belgium and Serbia, whose armies are led by unsackable generals? This is especially true for Bulgaria (Zhekov).

Good idea for Modding! I simply added the leaders from the Boardgame... Go to Modding\DBs\Leaders.xls DB.

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 am

Offworlder wrote:Strikes and rebellions. Quite often most of the CP powers are suffering from strikes which even the restore order political choice doesn't really remove. I'm not really sure about their effect except when the armies feel the effect of desertions. Frankly they have become too random.

Remember:
1) political actions "Restore Order" are the only possible way to remove a strike/rebellion
2) each political action "Restore Order", if successful, removes one strike/rebellion
3) in case of successful "Restore Order", unrest markers are removed in priority order: #1 rebellions and #2 strikes.

Kaiser1918
Corporal

Next patch?

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Luca, when will it be out? I am now seriously contemplating to read the manual and start my first real campaign game after you squashed most bugs...

Bern
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 am

calvinus wrote:I have added a difficulty check in mandatory random events, such as Strikes, Nationalist Agitations and Colonial Uprisings. This will give them much less chanches to happen. Next patch.

Will this also work for the Entente - please :D

Bern

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Bern wrote:Will this also work for the Entente - please :D

Bern

It will work for all players.

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Next patch tomorrow earliest. But it depends also on some stuff I'm eagerly waiting for... :love:

Offworlder
General

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Calvinus

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the stosstruppen seem not to commit in the appropriate slot on the side. Am I doing something wrong?

The Ottoman RP flow is most of the time 0, but as I said before the Othman stormtrooper unit is buildable. The 'gun' next to these units does not exist. Incidentally another problem with the Ottomans seems to be that even though the appoint leader check is successful, no leader appears.

Tnx again!

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Offworlder wrote:Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the stosstruppen seem not to commit in the appropriate slot on the side. Am I doing something wrong?

The Infiltration tactic must be successfully adopted, at least one I recall. For any doubt, post here the savegame and tell me which is the battle. I will go into details later.

Offworlder wrote:The Ottoman RP flow is most of the time 0, but as I said before the Othman stormtrooper unit is buildable. The 'gun' next to these units does not exist. Incidentally another problem with the Ottomans seems to be that even though the appoint leader check is successful, no leader appears.

The RP flow of Turkey depends on how many corps you build. The base flow is 10. Same as before: post here the savegame and I look. ;)

For the leader: it means you have all historical Turkish leaders already deployed on the map. So it's normal... like in the boardgame we had the similar effect, and we usually used the option simply to gain 1 NW point... :D

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm

In my game as A-H I had stosstruppen in my armies but was never allowed to use them in combat screen...I was still with firepower doctrine but if you have to use them to help change doctrine then what was the problem with my Stoss.?
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm

You have to successfully adopt the Infiltration combat doctrine (it works also for Tanks).

Offworlder
General

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:35 pm

And to adopt the infiltration tactic one has to research what? The flamethrower tech? Or are there other things to do?

Tried to post the savegame but something's wrong (probably me! :D ). I manage to build all the initial corps (about 4 infantry and 2 cavalry) but that's the limit. Even with the arrival of Persian RPs nothing happens.

So on the Ottoman leaders issue we're basically stuck with Enver, Nur-ed-din and the two Germans because I never managed to get another general for either the III or V armies even with a positive check.

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Infiltration tactic is not a technology, it's a combat doctrine. So you have to plan a Grand Offensive...

For the RP stuff I need of the savegame, use the "Manage Attachments" button. Post the savegame zipped: both .SAV & .MAP files.

The Turkish leaders are:

Enver Pacha
Mustapha Kemal
Von Der Golz
Von Sanders
Nur-ud-Din

NB: Mustapha Kemal is simply a lieutenant. It becomes an army general later (I do not recall how/when, I have to check...).

calvinus

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 am

Offworlder wrote:The Ottoman RP flow is most of the time 0, but as I said before the Othman stormtrooper unit is buildable. The 'gun' next to these units does not exist.

I believe the latest beta-patch 1.05G has fixed this problem.

In fact, I guess that the "Stosstruppen" technology (necessary for building this kind of units) has been successfully performed by an ally of Turkey, not by Turkey herself, right? Well, there was a gameplay bug (before 1.05G) that prevented the acquired technologies to become shared with the allies! :D So, if you have installed the patch, you will have to wait three turns and the stosstruppen tech. will become shared with Turkey, making her able to produce this new kind of unit(s).

Nial
Colonel

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Just a curriosity question. :)

After the elite BEF corps are recalled when the British second army arrives, they appear in the build que. Are they at some point buildable?

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

calvinus

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Yes, they can be built.

In the boardgame they are "physically" removed from the game. In WW1 this is not possible... :D

PoorBoy2001
Sergeant

BEF Corps

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:34 am

Is it possible to change their values, so they in fact become the lower rated army corps on the appropriate date?

pesec
Corporal

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 am

calvinus wrote:Yes, they can be built.

In the boardgame they are "physically" removed from the game. In WW1 this is not possible... :D

Is it, however, possible to make their training cost 999 EP? :D

If they are destroyed in combat, one will not have time to build them before II army arrives anyway...

calvinus

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 am

Both suggestions are welcome! I will make their values change... ;)

calvinus

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am

The 2 special BEF units will be transformed into two 6(+3)-7-4 veteran corps! :thumbsup:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Bef

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:22 pm

British troops were excellent!! Their commanders were morons or worse. Their failure to deploy on the French left after landing nearly caused the front to collapse under Hun pressure. It took a visit from Lord Kitchener to put some starch in their pants. t

Nial
Colonel

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:40 pm

calvinus wrote:The 2 special BEF units will be transformed into two 6(+3)-7-4 veteran corps! :thumbsup:

Perfect. Thanks Cal. :)

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”