unikey
Civilian
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 am

Demo?

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:49 am

I have been waiting eagerly for a demo for this as given the current publicity I am reluctant to part with any cash until I know it will work on my PC and the link on the website goes nowhere

Simon

User avatar
calvinus
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:10 am

Yesterday we had some technical problem with the latest version release. So we were forced to delay the release of the patch to today. The new patch will be anyway a beta patch, and it will be published as official not before friday morning. The demo will come together with the official patch 1.05C, provided it will be updated to that version, of course.

So you have to wait till friday morning.

Thanks for your patience,
Calvinus.

runnersan
Conscript
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:05 am

Hi !

What is new ETA on demo?

User avatar
calvinus
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 am

Despite the demo is done, Philippe has to do some "technical" tests on the demo (security, protections, etc. etc.)... Perhaps you will have to wait a couple of days maximum. These tests are absolutely needed, because we must be sure 100% the demo is "protected" in all circumstances. ;)

runnersan
Conscript
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 am

Great info. Thanks

User avatar
calvinus
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:12 am

We are sorry for the delay, but the risk is to release a demo that could be not enough protected, so meaning a potentially "free" full game! :wacko:

unikey
Civilian
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 am

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:31 pm

that might not have been such a bad idea, I use torrents to demo software before I buy it normally and if v105 is stable I'd have already bought it

User avatar
calvinus
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 pm

The demo will be "aligned" with the latest version 1.05c. :love:

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:44 pm

unikey wrote:that might not have been such a bad idea, I use torrents to demo software before I buy it normally and if v105 is stable I'd have already bought it

[color="Red"]Advocating software piracy is unacceptable at these forums. :mad: If you continue to do so, you will no longer be welcome here.[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

unikey
Civilian
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 am

Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Sorry but I'm not advocating piracy at all. However I have been ripped off so often by software companies releasing buggy software that either doesn't run or doesn't work as advertised, even using the demo is no guarantee as they are often so restricted you can't actually test the software. If it works and if its any good I will buy it although often continue using the pirate because its also my experience that DRM often cause's problems that otherwise wouldnt exist especially as my PC is a workstation (securerom and scsi are a nightmare) and I don't need to find a CD all the time. If not it gets uninstalled

In the current situation everyone is a loser I don't have your software to entertain me and you don't have my £30 which seems to be the case everytime a developer uses DRM. If 105 is stable and if it didnt include DRM and if I could have tested we would both be winners. There are even few developers out there who seem to have realised this as well stardock for a start.

If software companies would stop releasing products that didn't work or would even offer instant refunds as almost every other commercial sector does it wouldn't be an issue but to often the case seems to be once they have your money you can forget getting it to actually work and whilst I realise thats its legal (hopefully this will change soon after spore) its not ethical.

I'd also like to say that given the awful reviews when this was released and given how obviously unfinished it still is you clearly released beta software and expected people to pay for it which doesnt lead me to trust your company

stegosarus_army
Sergeant
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Tucson, Az

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 am

Great news on demo.. I cant wait to try it out.
WW1 is on my purchase list, but first i need to finish up AACW and NCP.

unikey:
your problem seems to be that you knowingly have a crappy computer and you seem to think that its the game company's fault for games never working on your computer. usually, if you can run the demo, you can run the real game. and just because you dont buy their game doesnt mean they lost, im pretty sure they have plenty of customers like me who love their games that will.
if you dont trust the company, and you know game compaines try to rip you off, then why are you still here posting? if it were me, i'd call it a waste of time posting here and move on to another game.

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:49 am

[color="Blue"]unikey, you are pointing to a number of issues that are problematic for the computer games industry. However, whatever you call it, "rogue testing", "indendent exploration of software issues", "consumers sticking it to the Man" or "software piracy" is not the solution. Also, our position on this should now be very clear, and further discussion about it will get this thread closed.[/color]

Returning to the issue at hand; the soon-to-be-released demo of WW1. It will be an adequate test of the game, both for gameplay and for technical issues for people that are thinking of buying it. DRM will certainly not be an issue; I don't know where you even got the idea that WW1 employs DRM à la Spore or other "DRM-embarrassments" like it.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

epaminondas
Colonel
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:32 am

unikey wrote:I'd also like to say that given the awful reviews when this was released and given how obviously unfinished it still is you clearly released beta software and expected people to pay for it which doesnt lead me to trust your company


I'd like to buy in on this part of the discussion because it's an issue close to my heart as well as my wallet.

I actually bought the game in full knowledge of the harsh reviews. I did that for two reasons. The first was my previous experience with AACW. I had the opportunity then to observe just how committed AGEOD was to supporting its product. Trust comes with time and though there was an obvious screw up in the release of WWI, I'd spent sufficient time with the company to be able to view this a case of "dropping the ball" rather than "screwing the consumer".

The second reason I bought in was AGEOD's offer of a refund to earlier dissatisfied buyers. Though I was aware that I wouldn't be eligible for a similar refund I felt that the integrity demonstrated by that offer deserved support. There are indeed shonky software companies out there and I figure that the best way to get rid of them is not just to tread wearily, but also to support those companies that do try to raise the bar.

I still wouldn't recommend purchase of this particular game at this particular time, but I do have absolute confidence that I'll be able to do so at some point in the future. On that basis I'll recommend the company to you over the game.

Bern
Lieutenant
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 am

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:18 am

My two euros worth - in the current economic climate, more valuable than the two pennies I would normally use.

Surely to goodness, the fact that a demo is being released at all should signal the good intent of Ageod. The great majority of games now are released without this 'test' facility. Therefore you buy a game - if you don't like it for whatever reason - tough.

I have not bought an Ageod game before, indeed I've never bought a game which was not a hex-based war game. Am I satisfied - yes I am. I've never had a game which so truly reflects the period in which it is set and which provides a more deeply immersive experience.

Agreed it was released too early and the manual as is is insufficient to cover the considerable depth of the game. However, a refund was offered initially and the programmer has provided almost daily patches. That, coupled with a driendly and helpful board has made the game very playable at this point and I am certain it will get better. In a strange way, the lack of rule clarity has added elements of uncertainty to the play which allows the blunders which were characteristic of inept leadership in the early stages of the war to be recreated - at least by me :) .

I bought the game mainly because of an interest in WW I and I have, in fact, recommended it to some people who share my interest. None who have bought it have been dissatisfied.

Bern

User avatar
PhilThib
Posts: 13705
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: Meylan (France)

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:05 pm

I am testing the demo right now. If nothing weirds appears, I'll have it online tomorrow... :cool:
Image

unikey
Civilian
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 am

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:44 pm

stegosarus_army wrote:your problem seems to be that you knowingly have a crappy computer


The opposite but certain DRM refuses to work with anything other than pata/sata subsytem and lots hate virtual drives and external DVD's nor is my system responsible when there online authenication falls over I have no control over that.

stegosarus_army wrote: and just because you dont buy their game doesnt mean they lost, im pretty sure they have plenty of customers like me who love their games that will.


Any lost revenue is a loss for the company especially in the current economic climate

stegosarus_army wrote: if you dont trust the company, and you know game compaines try to rip you off, then why are you still here posting? if it were me, i'd call it a waste of time posting here and move on to another game.


I was here because I think the boardgame is the single best wargame covering any era ever and still play it using email and a digital camera, because there where enough people here like Bern & Epaminondas who have had experience of the company I was hoping they where more like Stardock than EA


Rafiki

Beyond a s/n check I have no idea what DRM you are using I haven't bothered looking I was waiting for the demo! The idea that wanting to test a product before you buy it is akin to theft quite frankly leaves me hopping mad and your EA like response has convinced me to take stegosarus_army advice.

User avatar
Tamas
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am

Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Unikey, there is no protection on the game whatsoever except for the serial number.

None, nix, zero.


Also, for LGG, there are Cyberboard and ADC2 modules out, for the purpose of pbeming the boardgame, they are easier to use than digital cameras. :)

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 pm

unikey wrote:Rafiki

Beyond a s/n check I have no idea what DRM you are using I haven't bothered looking I was waiting for the demo!

To be absolutely clear: beyond a serial number check, this game does not employ any kind of DRM.
unikey wrote:The idea that wanting to test a product before you buy it is akin to theft quite frankly leaves me hopping mad and your EA like response has convinced me to take stegosarus_army advice.

Again to be clear: that you want to test a product before you buy it isn't akin to theft; it's quite understandable and what we want to address by offering the demo. That not more publishers/developers in the games industry don't see and understand this is something you'll have to raise with them.

What I do say is that when you steal the product in order to test it, that's when it becomes theft. That you later decide to pay for what you have stolen only improves the situation marginally.

Given the context, comparing me to EA is both harsh and unfair, but that's your words, not mine :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

D_K
Sergeant
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:31 am

Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:02 am

well, i look forward to trying the demo, and also.....if i can afford it, buy the game. personally i own both AACW and WIA, both are excellent games that will be on my hard drive for years to come. i appreciate the hard work from this company and dont think they should be compared to EA at all. I really like their commitment to their games and you can tell they like to play them as well. unikey, i think you should calm down and not get so concerned with what rafiki is saying. He is simply not endorsing illegal downloading, if you dont like that, then maybe it is YOU that should not be welcome here.

User avatar
Caradoc
Corporal
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Sussex, England

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Looking forward to the demo. :thumbsup:
If it works on my ol' PC I am looking forward to buying the full game.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Caradoc wrote:Looking forward to the demo. :thumbsup:
If it works on my ol' PC I am looking forward to buying the full game.


Roger that.. :)

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm actually now downloading the demo as shown on the main web page. :w00t:

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:45 pm

ok..downloaded the demo and get to the main screen but have no mouse function? :confused:

User avatar
Nial
Colonel
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Hotel California

Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm

SWEET!!! Now I can practice while I wait for my full version.

Thanks AGEOD
Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teddy Bär
Conscript
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:05 am

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 pm

Downloading the demo now!

Please note that your front page is very busy and I took 2 reloads of the page before I saw that it was there all the time but is itself so busy as to just blended in.
Cheers,

Teddy Bär

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:03 am

Thanks for the feedback; I'll pass it along to our webmaster.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

User avatar
calvinus
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:09 am

WARNING: do not plan/use air missions for the time being. A bug has been reported....

Thanks for your patience,
Calvinus.

User avatar
Bleedinbob
Private
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Chicago, USA

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful Christmas present. Downloading now and then installing!

User avatar
Moff Jerjerrod
Sergeant
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:39 am
Location: New England

Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:56 am

Wow!

That is my initial reaction to the demo which I DL'd last night. I'm happy to say that so far after playing 2.5 turns worth of the grand campaign 4 as the Russians I've had no show stopping issues so far.

I have noticed however, and maybe this is just in the demo, that there is some mouse stutter from time to time. Meaning when you attempt to move the mouse cursor over to another unit or area of the map there is a slight lag before movement responds. I've tried disabling the music but not the sound effects. Disabling the music helped a little and I suspect disbabling the sound effects might solve the problem. Other than that the software seems to run stable on my rig.

unikey:

I understand your point about being careful with spending your hard earned cash on a buggy product but let me make this comment which I hope helps you and others:

I did buy AGEOD's American Civil War from Best Buy about 8 months ago. I've been having such a blast with this game and it has awakened in interest in me for this time period. When I look at what is available on store shelves today as far as PC games go (and believe me shelf space for PC games has been reduced significantly now compared to say even 6 months ago) I see nothing that really interests me. There are plenty of mindless eye twitching games out there which although may entertain you for a brief period, never last on a hard drive for long.

Along comes a company that makes wargames the way they should be made and that is games that have depth, meaning, and longevity. Now couple that with a company that truely gives great support and friendly welcoming atmosphere and you have AGEOD. Honestly, I really don't think I'll be buying any more PC games from brick and mortar stores. I will continue to buy my console games from them, but when I want a real thinking man's game I'll go to AGEOD, Matrix Games, etc.

I have no doubt that LGG will be a great game once all the issues have been worked out. My experience so far with this great game company has been nothing but positive.

vonRocko
Colonel
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Well said! :thumbsup:

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests