Krasny
Private

The Map

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:27 pm

I don't really understand why the map has to be at the crazy orientation that it is. All other grand strategy games have North at the top, including all AGEOD games and Great Invasions.

Also I don't understand why it is such a great deal of effort to change the orientation, surely you just load it into Photoshop and rotate it through 90 degrees. Ok the writing will be misalighned, but that is way better than having the map orientation the way it is.

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:24 pm

And i don't understand why people are arguing about this issue. Is so difficult to play with a map rotated in a different way as we're accostumed to see in other PC games? If you have played a boardgame you would have to know that not always can you look at the map with the North at the top. If there are a lot of players moving counters and talking about their future movements, maybe you have to look at the map in crazy positions, so what's the problem?

You only have to change the "chip" and get accostumed to look at the map as it is right now. :)

lodilefty

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Krasny wrote:I don't really understand why the map has to be at the crazy orientation that it is. All other grand strategy games have North at the top, including all AGEOD games and Great Invasions.

Also I don't understand why it is such a great deal of effort to change the orientation, surely you just load it into Photoshop and rotate it through 90 degrees. Ok the writing will be misalighned, but that is way better than having the map orientation the way it is.

Actually, the entire map would need to be 'redefined', one region at a time, as the 'graphic coordinates' for each and every region would change when rotating. :cuit:

The maps in all the AGEOD games are rather massive undertakings. The methods to generate or modify are best described as 'intense' :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Cosimus
Private

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:31 pm

What is the problem? :confused: You only have to transform the coordinates in the same manner as the map. it is a simple 3-Parameter Transformation ;)
[font="Arial Black"]"Nicht Kleckern beim Kotzen"[/font][font="Arial"] "Guderian at 18[/font]:nuts:
[font="Arial Black"]"Klotzen nicht Kleckern"[/font][font="Arial"] "Guderian 30 years later"[/font]:niark:

razorbackjac
Captain

Map

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:56 pm

Actually I am getting use to the map. At first it looked and felt off but now it seems ;) workable.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Map!!??

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:55 pm

get off the flaming map!! it is not going to change! Let's get the game playable first and then worry about the darn map!! t

dooya

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Actually we are very happy to announce that Dell helped us to find a solution for the map problem:

[attach]4944[/attach]

:niark:
Attachments
monitor-base-2.gif
No quote - No bullshit!

Haplo_Patryn
Brigadier General

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

abulbulian
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:46 pm

That would be great if you could make all the text rotate as well. I'm one that thinks it would have been more logical to have made the map north/south from day 1.

But I'm guessing the developers had a reason for doing it the way they did? I just haven't heard it yet...

Krasny
Private

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 pm

And i don't understand why people are arguing about this issue. Is so difficult to play with a map rotated in a different way as we're accostumed to see in other PC games?

No it's not difficult. But we shouldn't have to. The map is plug ugly as it is, having a non-standard map orientation for no apparent reason, other than obtuse technical ones, just adds to the esthetic abortion that is WW1.

calvinus

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Krasny wrote:... non-standard map orientation for no apparent reason, other than obtuse technical ones, just adds to the esthetic abortion that is WW1.

I must say that such opinions are really encouraging. :feu:

sval06
Captain

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Krasny wrote:No it's not difficult. But we shouldn't have to. The map is plug ugly as it is, having a non-standard map orientation for no apparent reason, other than obtuse technical ones, just adds to the esthetic abortion that is WW1.

I have to confess that after a short period of time, I begin to find the map convenient...

In fact, we have to be used to, I think it is the main "problem" ;)

Rafiki

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Krasny wrote:No it's not difficult. But we shouldn't have to. The map is plug ugly as it is, having a non-standard map orientation for no apparent reason, other than obtuse technical ones, just adds to the esthetic abortion that is WW1.

[color="Red"]You'll find that being more constructive and less of an inflammatory troll will increase the size of the audience that cares about what you say.[/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

arsan

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:20 pm

calvinus wrote:I must say that such opinions are really encouraging. :feu:

:mdr:

Motomouse
Conscript

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:30 pm

The gorgeous map won me over to WW1 LGG. I spent a lot of time with this game since I purchased it one day prior to the first patch release, a time well spent. The whole UI and gameplay experience is very coherent, atmospherical and aesthetical designed. I see a lot of improvements in the technical department implemented with the patches, but the map is top notch in my humble opinion. If anybody is not able to enjoy this game because of the map orientation, he will miss out a lot.

Regards
Motomouse

Emeg
Private

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Krasny wrote:I don't really understand why the map has to be at the crazy orientation that it is.

It has to do with (space) efficiency, this is explaned elsewhere in this forum. Also the hexmap in the previous boardgame, where this game is the computer variant from, is orientated at the same way. The only thing on the map I really don't understand is, why is the Swiss city Basel located in the wrong region?

The yellow lines are my suggestions for railroads around Basel, these are, as far I know, confirm the in real existing situation.

Greetings, Emeg

Ian Coote
Major

Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:26 pm

I agree with Motomouse,the maps great,just takes a little getting used to.In fact if there was a vote to change it I would vote to leave it the way it is.In my opinion its better to be looking towards or from behind the front lines than up or down.

Krasny
Private

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Sorry about the abortion bit. Way out of line. :bonk:

Je suis désolé.

I sense there is a great game in there, but it's kinda hard to spot at the moment.

Troll is a bit harsh IMHO. Most of my comments on the game are justified, albeit expressed in a forthright manner.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”