tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Whiskey? I am from Tennessee!! Every sane person knowss Tennessee makes the [color="Red"]best [/color]in the World. :p apy:

Big Muddy

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Would it be difficult to adjust mini map so north is north, until the world map can be corrected. I think I would probably use mini over world the majority of the time if this could done.

I tried tilting my head to the side, but that didn't help, all I got was a stiff neck. So I had to turn the monitor sideways to continue on :D

Ian Coote
Major

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:57 pm

At first I wasn't that crazy about the map { too much color} but the more I play the game I'm starting to love it.Even getting used to the north being on the left side of the screen,just takes a little getting used to. :thumbsup:

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:17 pm

Anyone who cut thier teeth playing board games first before bieng exposed to computer gaming like myself will find the map orientation a non issue. Since you usually had to move around a map to get to all the counters...Terrible Swift Sword anyone?

At any rate heres looking foreward to the patch.

Clovis

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Ian Coote wrote:At first I wasn't that crazy about the map { too much color} but the more I play the game I'm starting to love it.Even getting used to the north being on the left side of the screen,just takes a little getting used to. :thumbsup:

I would have prefered less colours for plain regions.

All in all, the gfx work remains pretty good. Interface needs a little works ( many buttons are too small, scroll arrow too, the fonts are sometimes a bit difficult to read).

I'm in December 1914 now. I've jsut had one fatal bug ( endless naval battle). The lack of a complete manual is the second big problem but I keep faifht in the game value. It will never be a simple game because of the rules complexity but it's largely the equivalent of World in flames for WW2.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Sol Invictus

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:12 am

tagwyn wrote:Whiskey? I am from Tennessee!! Every sane person knowss Tennessee makes the [color="Red"]best [/color]in the World. :p apy:

We call it Bourbon in these parts and we make the best, as everyone knows. :neener: There are some confused folk in Tennesse though. :wacko:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Chivalry
Conscript

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:26 am

Franciscus wrote:I have to agree that the map orientation was, at best, a bad decision...

:

I find the map makes the game almost unplayable to me.
Crazy, maybe, but there you have it.

Game seems to have a ton of potential. Even though I have shelved it already, no way I ask for my money back, only because I got more than my share of enjoyment out of BOA and AACW, that and I can't wait until VGN comes out. Heck I'd pre-pay for that 6 months in advance to help it along.

Still, if the mouse lag speed could be fixed (annoying) and the map re-oriented N-S, I might give this game another try. Not sure why the mouse moves SO slowly in this game. I have a top end computer.

Here's hoping the patch fixes some of this stuff.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:59 am

Well, I'm waiting for the demo to primarily see how well it will run on my one gig ram system; and also determine if I can live w/ the map orientation.

06 Maestro
General

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:29 am

oldspec4 wrote:Well, I'm waiting for the demo to primarily see how well it will run on my one gig ram system; and also determine if I can live w/ the map orientation.

I am trying to play with one gig of RAM with an Athlon 3500. It runs like crap. In about ten days, I will be up to 3 gigs of RAM. That, and the patch which I assume will help my processor, should make the game run pretty good. As it is, I can only play one scenario (Serbia) without the game freezing. Any other scenario put the PC into virtual memory which does not work very fast..

If you cannot upgrade you ram, I would advise against getting this game.
BTW, new ram from Crucial is really getting cheap-and its good stuff. Two sticks of 1 gig each is costing 62 bucks. They also have an easy to use utility to determine what you need, and gives options.

Tamas

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 am

oldspec4 wrote:Well, I'm waiting for the demo to primarily see how well it will run on my one gig ram system; and also determine if I can live w/ the map orientation.

I must tell you that I fully understand people complaining for not enough documentation - in hindsight, this is clearly the case. And also I understand complaints about the steep learning curve. It is.

But you do get used to the map quickly, and I just can't wrap my head around the fact this is apparently being such a huge issue for some people.

Frank

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:14 am

When i saw the first screenshots of the game my first thought was which stuff Philippe has smoked to create such a map.[ATTACH]4833[/ATTACH]
And the first 30 minutes it was difficult to look at the map. But after 20 hours it doesn´t bother me anymore. For an non European however i think it takes longer to adapt the new map style.
Attachments
drag2.gif
drag2.gif (12.65 KiB) Viewed 8500 times

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 pm

06 Maestro wrote:I am trying to play with one gig of RAM with an Athlon 3500. It runs like crap. In about ten days, I will be up to 3 gigs of RAM. That, and the patch which I assume will help my processor, should make the game run pretty good. As it is, I can only play one scenario (Serbia) without the game freezing. Any other scenario put the PC into virtual memory which does not work very fast..

If you cannot upgrade you ram, I would advise against getting this game.
BTW, new ram from Crucial is really getting cheap-and its good stuff. Two sticks of 1 gig each is costing 62 bucks. They also have an easy to use utility to determine what you need, and gives options.

Thx for the info..I have thought about adding another gig to my Athlon Barton 3000 but I really don't want to upgrade my five year old system anymore. This is the first game (in more than 20 years of gaming) where I need two gigs. Next step is a new computer but its hard to let go of one that still runs everything else that I throw at it.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Tamas wrote:I must tell you that I fully understand people complaining for not enough documentation - in hindsight, this is clearly the case. And also I understand complaints about the steep learning curve. It is.

But you do get used to the map quickly, and I just can't wrap my head around the fact this is apparently being such a huge issue for some people.

I'm not sure that the map issue would be a huge issue for me. But the computer screen can't duplicate walking around a boardgame set-up. I suppose I've been brainwashed over the past 50+ years with a North/South orientation :D .

Duckman
Sergeant

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Tamas wrote:I must tell you that I fully understand people complaining for not enough documentation - in hindsight, this is clearly the case. And also I understand complaints about the steep learning curve. It is.

sorry tamas, but you wont convince me that its not bothering ppl :blink: because it obviously is. maybe 1 day there will be a mod though. the north is up MOD :mdr:

Tamas

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Duckman wrote:sorry tamas, but you wont convince me that its not bothering ppl :blink: because it obviously is. maybe 1 day there will be a mod though. the north is up MOD :mdr:

I do wonder how many of those complainers played the game for more than an hour... I understand several people had severe compatibility problems, so its not like I blame them for not playing enough, but I also stand by my opinion that it is very easy to get accustomed to the map.

It is far easier than to learn the US map for AACW as a Hungarian, let me tell you. :P

Franciscus

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 pm

Tamas wrote:I do wonder how many of those complainers played the game for more than an hour... I understand several people had severe compatibility problems, so its not like I blame them for not playing enough, but I also stand by my opinion that it is very easy to get accustomed to the map.

It is far easier than to learn the US map for AACW as a Hungarian, let me tell you. :P

I admit that I am one of those that have not played more than a few minutes, due to CTD... I also admit that I will most certainly get accustomed to the map. But you must admit that if the map was with north up there would not exist any issue with the map and at least that would not be a problem and we would not be arguing about it... :neener:

But I will stop here my posting about the map orientation as I understand that this is an issue that can not be changed. No need to lose more time with it.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Map! Map! What's with the map?

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Tamas: Forget the flaming map and get the playability patch and complete manual out!! I don't want my money back! I want to play this game without getting a master's degree in war gaming and WWI . :( :p apy:

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Tamas wrote:

I personally do not have a problem with the map,but,of course I would prefer north being up. The Europeans learning American geography from AACW didn't have to do it with north being left. I guess the question I have is,would it really have been that difficult to make the map north side up! :confused:
I like the game though,and I have adjusted. :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Visitors to planet earth will see this.... :blink:

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Is that a screen shot of the next Ageod game? :wacko:

AndrewKurtz

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:23 pm

lodilefty wrote:Visitors to planet earth will see this.... :blink:

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

Depends on the direction from which they arrive ;)

PDF

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Tamas wrote:I do wonder how many of those complainers played the game for more than an hour... I understand several people had severe compatibility problems, so its not like I blame them for not playing enough, but I also stand by my opinion that it is very easy to get accustomed to the map.

Me !
I understand your point of view, 'cause Hungary is still in the middle of the map, whatever the orientation.. :mdr:
But for me I still have huge headaches distinguishing AH areas from Serbia from Bulgaria from Rumania with the 45° tilt - and the fact that there are huge borders everywhere but no country borders, a very weird choice indeed :bonk: .

Ian Coote
Major

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Yea, at first I thought it was odd,and it took awhile to get used to it ,but now I kinda like it.Most of the front lines{especialy on the western front} run in a north south line,so having the map in its present orientation means you look from behind and towards the front lines,better in my opinion than looking up or down.

Kaiser1918
Corporal

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:24 am

My dream is to have the original map graphics (they were clean) with hexes and NATO counters. At least, the last thing was answered.

rwenstrup
Sergeant

When will the manual be available?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:44 am

When will the manual be available? It has been two weeks since release of the game...and there is still a need for a real manual. How long will it be?

PhilThib

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 am

We need more time to re-write some sections and proofread. The man in charge has defected before launch and the whole thing has been delayed because of this... I shall publish some sections within the next few days.

DON
Sergeant

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Publication of sections is a good idea. If given a "beta" manual I would be happy to proofread and submit proposed corrections, changes and additions. I suspect quite a few other AGEOD fans would be happy to do the same. The patches by Calvinus are making the game stable, at least on all the systems I have run the game on, and with a good manual I believe this game will be a hit with all grognards.

calvinus

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks DON, but I want the game runs on all PCs. That's why I forgot what means to sleep... :cuit:

DON
Sergeant

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:31 pm

No rest for the talented Calvinus, at least that is what my secretaries tell me!

Emeg
Private

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:33 pm

PhilThib wrote:We need more time to re-write some sections and proofread. The man in charge has defected before launch and the whole thing has been delayed because of this...

:blink: Had he a (moderate) contract to do the job? If so why did Ageod accept this kind of unprofessional behaviour?

It is better that a game company never accept the launch of boxed beta game versions without a proper manual. Such things are i.m.o. an example of a wrong marketing strategy,

If I need costumers for free playtesting I would release a pre version of the game, only available by download. I would play open card from the beginning to the playtesting/costumers and give them some beneficial things that costumers that buy the finished boxed version don't get. Ageod would not be the first gaming company that use this strategy. Auran did this recently during the final development stages of their Trainz Simulator 2009. http://www.ts2009.com/news2.php

This will not destroy the marked for games. Very bad for a (war) game marked is i.m.o. rushing out unstable boxed beta games to the unknown customers. It will make retail traders shy to put such games on their shelfs. In my country, by example, you can't buy since some years good wargames in shops, except first person shooters and other silly unrealistic fighting games. I'am afraid because earlier bad (customer) experiences and negative game reviews concerned (war)games that are not ready for the marked when released.

Greetings, Emeg.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”