dbeves
Conscript

Just a little concerned about the game ...

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 am

Having already bought and downloaded the game - this may seem like a question I should have asked before I did so...

Having read the rules it seems there are only two ways to play the game..

1. vs the AI
2. "Live" online against a human opponent.

Given 1. always turns out to be a disappointment in any game I could eliminate that one straight away ... sorry I just cant invest the time in a game beyond a point in time when I see the AI doing stupid things - which they all do - not just this one...

So ... that only leaves 2. - given the difficulties of time differences between countries it seems to me you may have a limited pool of opponents using this method - and personally I find it difficult to get the time to do a PBEM - let alone be in front of my PC at the right time to finish a game of this size vs a live opponent.

Am I right in this assumption that these are the only two ways to play the game ... ?

I can live with that in an FPS - when I only have to find an opponent for a limited one .. and not the same one every time ...

Seems to me this may become a game I only look at rather than actually ever play ... I may have made an expensive mistake ?

Is there no Hotseat play ?

Dont want to knock the game - it looks fantastic ...

marcusjm
Colonel

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

Well, most wargames requires time. You either choose to put some time on the hobby or you don't. I assume you never tried setting up a game of Scorched Earth ;) .

As I wrote in my earlier game about setting up a regular group. This is actually better than PBEM, instead of dragged out games you get a few intense sessions a month. It's not that hard to find a 1 hour a week for one focused session. I find it much harder to find time for multiple 10 minute sessions.

Anyone who is interested in this need only message me or post it in my thread. Time zones is only an issue if you try to setup casual games, wargaming was never casual to begin with so we can dispense with that notion ;) .

dbeves
Conscript

So ?

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:09 am

So - there is no hotseat ?

I understand the lack of PBEM - looking at the turn structure - but that doesnt seem to apply for hotseat - plus that gives me the opportunity to play solo ... which I like to do ...

arsan

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 am

Hi!

I'm not sure about the hot seat. Some more experienced beta or a developer would now.
But by the little i have tested the game i think it can be difficult.
Bear in mind each battle is completely interactive. Each side have to commit units and make decisions each battle round. This can suppose like 10 or more seat changes per battle. In a turn with a dozen or more battles... well, you would make more exercise playing WW1 that going to the gym :D
Maybe if you let the AI manage the battles decisions for both sides..
But i'm just guessing. Not sure about it... :bonk:
Regards

dooya

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:23 am

If hotseat would be possible, PBEM would be too, me thinks. Therefore I guess (!), that there is no hotseat option.

However, if you have a second computer, LAN should be possible.
No quote - No bullshit!

Tamas

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:42 am

I understand the concern for lack of PBEM, but such concern also shows that very few people played the original boardgame in PBEM. :D

As Arsan mentioned, it is just impossible, the game is way too interactive for that. Getting together for an hour or two to MP can achieve much more progress in the game than several days of sending e-mails back and forth with battle round results, believe me, I tried that with the boardgame.

dbeves
Conscript

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:51 am

dooya wrote:If hotseat would be possible, PBEM would be too, me thinks. Therefore I guess (!), that there is no hotseat option.

However, if you have a second computer, LAN should be possible.

Yes - I did think of that - and I do ... but - using the same internet connection - wouldnt thay have the same ip address - which the system probably wont allow ?

dooya

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm

dbeves wrote:Yes - I did think of that - and I do ... but - using the same internet connection - wouldnt thay have the same ip address - which the system probably wont allow ?
Not over internet, but LAN - local area network, i.e., you connect both computer with a (crossover?) patch cable and start playing over network while sitting in the same room. :cool:
No quote - No bullshit!

AndrewKurtz

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:29 pm

dbeves wrote:Yes - I did think of that - and I do ... but - using the same internet connection - wouldnt thay have the same ip address - which the system probably wont allow ?

If you are both on the same network internally, then just use your internal IP addresses and not the internet. You never leave the confines of your house. Frankly, it will be easier than internet because firewalls/routers won't be in the way.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”