Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Feature #2: Trench War

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:49 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[SIZE="6"][CENTER]WW1: Are you ready for trench war?[/CENTER][/size]

The First World War was a colossal conflict that is burned into the memory of the nations who took part in it. In their desperate and relentless efforts to destroy the enemy, the opponents modernized the art of war in many deadly ways ... But ONE development has impressed people's minds forever and is the symbol of this conflict: Trench War.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

“World War One: La Grande Guerre 14-18” (WW1) is the next grand operational wargame created by AGEOD, the award winning studio, renowned for their attention to the design of easy and efficient gameplay mechanisms.

After the initial five months where armies will try to outflank their opponents by marching and countermarching, your troops will become increasingly able to dig in. As time passes, entrenchments will improve until they reach a level where any attack will likely be an act of massive suicide (especially on the western front).

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

In fact, as soon as entrenchment begins, battles will be resolved using a new combat routine, much more favorable to the defender. With this innovation, the tempo of the war will change. Each player will have to thoroughly prepare a few major offensives each year (e.g. Verdun) and of course resist his opponent's assaults and feints.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

As tens of thousands of men die in desperate attempts to breach the enemy's lines, your researchers will be working on even deadlier secret weapons. Soon planes, tanks, combat gas, and shock troops will arrive to change the rules again, provided you also learn the doctrines to use these weapons correctly and efficiently...

[CENTER]Image

[SIZE="7"]Are you ready for WW1?[/size]
[SIZE="5"]Release November 11th[/size][/CENTER]

Duckman
Sergeant

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:44 pm

:( i was hoping for something we didnt know already in this feature highlight..

Pocus

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:55 am

Well, Korrigan says that when you face trenches, the combat routine is different, so it is not just a a 'defense parameter' it seems. Also he speaks of 'few major offensives', so it seems you get some kind of offensive chits per year?

Disclaimer: I'm not the developer not the designer of the game, so I'm as you, wondering :) (although I could ask personally Korrigan about the features hehe ;) ).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Stwa
Colonel

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 am

Pocus wrote:Well, Korrigan says that when you face trenches, the combat routine is different, so it is not just a a 'defense parameter' it seems. Also he speaks of 'few major offensives', so it seems you get some kind of offensive chits per year?

Disclaimer: I'm not the developer not the designer of the game, so I'm as you, wondering :) (although I could ask personally Korrigan about the features hehe ;) ).

Too bad, I was really hoping for a Age engine WWI game. I was looking forward to grinding up division after division in the Verdun region.

Rafiki

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:30 am

Stwa wrote:I was looking forward to grinding up division after division in the Verdun region.

I'm sure there will be ample opportunities for that in any case... ;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Palpat
Colonel

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Looks interesting, but five months before trench warfare is... long. What about 12 weeks or so?
And will weather be simulated?
And is there something softening defense for 1918-like offensives?
And I would have loved pics. :D

Franciscus

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Palpat wrote:(...) And I would have loved pics. :D

+1

lodilefty

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Palpat wrote:Looks interesting, but five months before trench warfare is... long. What about 12 weeks or so?
And will weather be simulated?
And is there something softening defense for 1918-like offensives?
And I would have loved pics. :D

If I understand the rules correctly, it's 5 months MAXIMUM before Trench rules. It's conditional, and can happen sooner.... :love:

...or the war could end before trenches start :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Serpent77
Sergeant

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:24 pm

As far as i remember, someone wrote before that trench warfare will be introduced gradually, not suddenly, starting after 5 months of war.

Mosby
Lieutenant

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:39 pm

I think I'm actually glad that this doesn't use the same engine that BOA or ACW. I just don't think that it would have made a great fit for this time period. I'm just really hoping that it doesn't let me down.
"Have you got the rascal?" "No but he has got you!"

Teddy Bär
Conscript

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:27 am

This is all sounding very good and I like that the player will not be allowed to not make major offensives.
Cheers,

Teddy Bär

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:50 pm

Great !

Serpent77
Sergeant

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:44 pm

New engine is great, I am welcoming everything new (if it is good), unfortunately PBEM is gone...

Mosby
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am

honestly, I don't play against other people, so it's not a big deal for me.

Do we know if this is wego or a one player at a time thing? I thought I saw it in here somewhere, but I can't find it now.
"Have you got the rascal?" "No but he has got you!"

PhilThib

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 am

WEGO mostly, but other modes (advanced) possible too :thumbsup: ;)

dooya

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 am

Mosby wrote:honestly, I don't play against other people, so it's not a big deal for me.
[...]
Although it will not be PbEM, there will be a multiplayer option in WW1.
No quote - No bullshit!

pailleterie
Captain

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:32 pm

We will have new sceenshots soon?

Siekster
Sergeant

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Serpent77 wrote:New engine is great, I am welcoming everything new (if it is good), unfortunately PBEM is gone...

PBEM is gone!!! Major bummer.... I get most of my enjoyment from AGEOD games from PBEM.....
"You underestimate my powers!!!"

-Anakin Skywalker, moments before jumping and having three of his extremities hacked off by a lightsaber...

Pocus

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 am

Different engine, different playing modes. The AGE Engine series of game still have PBEM, and VGN will have it.

WW1 can't have PBEM because there are dozens of interactions between players (or AI) in a single turn.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:51 am

Pocus wrote:WW1 can't have PBEM because there are dozens of interactions between players (or AI) in a single turn.

Thats a real shame. :p leure: :p leure: Was so looking forward to this game.

Sadly I have two criteria that a game must meet in order for me to purchase:

1. It must have a full campaign option.
2. I must be able to play it at distance against another human being.

That means that this game is another I will reluctantly wave goodbye to. Do hope it sells well though. :coeurs:

calvinus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:06 am

soundoff wrote:...
2. I must be able to play it at distance against another human being.

WW1 engine can work in Multi-Player mode (up to 4 opponents) via LAN/TCPIP.

So the play at distance is allowed.

PBEM mode is intrinsically not compatible with the game play of WW1... you will see...

calvinus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:12 am

Palpat wrote:Looks interesting, but five months before trench warfare is... long. What about 12 weeks or so?

It can be sooner. In addition you will have an "intermediate" warfare doctrine between Movement Warfare and Fire-Power Warfare (trenched): "Transition to Trenches".

Palpat wrote:And will weather be simulated?

Yes, of course.

Palpat wrote:And is there something softening defense for 1918-like offensives?

The "combat doctrine" called "Combined Doctrine" will do it...

Palpat wrote:And I would have loved pics. :D

Ask to Philippe! :wacko:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 am

calvinus wrote:WW1 engine can work in Multi-Player mode (up to 4 opponents) via LAN/TCPIP.

So the play at distance is allowed.

Brilliant :coeurs: Fantastic :thumbsup: Wonderful :D Magnificent :w00t: Stupendous: :mdr:

Already dipping my hands in my pockets for the pounds shillings and pence. :)

Lannes
Major

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:50 am

please please new screenshots :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Franciscus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Or, as our beloved admin would say:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:48 am

Dear friends,

I have now regained full access to internet, I'm born again. :D

Next feature should be posted thursday afternoon and it will display... Yes... new screenshots. :coeurs:

As mentioned earlier, the graphics integration work is currently under process. We have been sligthly delayed by the shoulder injury of our main graphic artist but the work is now going well and we are catching up.

However, screenshots will be revealed as game screens are finished. That is to say don't expect right from the begining a huge pack of screenshots showing every single aspects of the game. Screenshots will arrive increasingly in the coming weeks as work is completed. I can insure you the WW1 team is working hard on this. Consider this a tantric desire strategy... :neener:

Now, getting back to the original post:

Indeed, IMHO, the major concept revealed in this PR was the limited number of offensive.

Each player will only be allowed only one major offensive a year, plus two minor ones per turn. This is a real constraint and it adds a strong historical flavour to the gameplay as you will spend monthes accumulating guns, troops and amunition in certain places in order to prepar for your massive attack on the ennemy lines, while your opponent will try to guess where you will strike.

The second interesting concept was the change of combat matrix once armies have adopted the trench war strategy. This is fairly technical but it answers a lot of questions about how the game engine will manage the different period of the war.

Finally, the last decisive concept was the way the game managed the return of offensive and movements in the last part of the war. The key explanation is technology and art of war evolution. But this leads us to technological research and this will be another feature...

The next one will be "DIPLOMACY"

Take care,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Lannes
Major

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Merci petit lutin :thumbsup:

Duckman
Sergeant

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:11 pm

wow, only 3 offensives per year under the trench warfare limitations and 1 major of those three. that sounds really really cool and historical as well. two thumbs up :thumbsup:

calvinus

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:12 pm

Not exactly so...

1 Major Offensive per year.
2 minor offensives per turn. A 3rd one can be done, by Central Powers always, by the Entente provided a test is successful... (in order to protect CPs from too many aggressions... game balancing!).

Duckman
Sergeant

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 pm

calvinus wrote:Not exactly so...

1 Major Offensive per year.
2 minor offensives per turn. A 3rd one can be done, by Central Powers always, by the Entente provided a test is successful... (in order to protect CPs from too many aggressions... game balancing!).

thanks for the clarification calvinus. can you tell us what are the differences btw a minor n a major one?

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”