Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Rafiki wrote:Image

Now I'm just happy I didn't misspell it "broadgame"... :niark:

Those can be fun to play, too. :niark:
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 pm

PhilThib wrote:We have planned to have some kind of 'emblems' to distinguish troops of 'sub-nationalities' with a same nation :coeurs:

If you put MIDI files of patriotic songs from WW1 like in AACW, please do not forget to include Canada's Imperial national anthem "The Maple Leaf Forever". :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Here is a beautiful rendition on bagpipes :

http://www.andrewcusack.com/mapleleafforever.mp3

Rafiki

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Franciscus wrote:I understand this reason. Nevertheless, may I remind you that we and AGEOD all hope that many more people will buy the PC game than those that probably bought the boardgame, and most will not ever have seen or care about the boardgame. And they WILL find it strange...

I understand the reaction (and share the hope!). However, and I can only speak for myself, I got used to the map perspective pretty fast, and therefore don't think it will be as large an issue as it might seem to be at first :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

arsan

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Rafiki wrote:I understand the reaction (and share the hope!). However, and I can only speak for myself, I got used to the map perspective pretty fast, and therefore don't think it will be as large an issue as it might seem to be at first :)

AHA!! so Rafiki has already played the game and didn't wanna tell us anything about it! :sourcil: ;) :niark:

Rafiki

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:02 pm

arsan wrote:AHA!! so Rafiki has already played the game and didn't wanna tell us anything about it! :sourcil: ;) :niark:

If feasible, I shall write a beta AAR, and everyone will laugh at my miserable failings as a WW1 commander-in-chief :D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:08 pm

a beta AAR would be perfect

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Rafiki wrote:If feasible, I shall write a beta AAR, and everyone will laugh at my miserable failings as a WW1 commander-in-chief :D

Robert E. Lee told Ewell to take "that hill" if feasible at Gettysburg, and we all know what happpened afterwards. I hope you will not do like Ewell! :eek:

Pocus

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:36 pm

I believe that the map is orientated like that because it allows a smaller size, and thus less memory usage (and more players meeting the specs). From my meager experience with the WW1 beta, you get accustomed to that rather fast.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Duckman
Sergeant

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Pocus wrote:I believe that the map is orientated like that because it allows a smaller size, and thus less memory usage (and more players meeting the specs). From my meager experience with the WW1 beta, you get accustomed to that rather fast.

well, its not a HUGE issue, this map orientation. but you might be surprised that there will be a number of people who will choose not to purchase the game exactly because the odd map. lets hope their number will be smaller than the people who will be able to play the game because of that.

besides, maybe the engine should be redesigned as the map is obviously a huge drain on the CPU

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Given that World War One is a clearly avowed adaptation of the boardgame "La Grande Guerre 14-18" and that the board map is similar, I do not think people will make that much of a fuss about the map.

Sure, it might be confusing at first glance, but I'm sure people will quickly get used to it. :)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Very Beautiful!! Thank you. T

andatiep

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:05 am

Clovis wrote:If the computer game is close to the boardgame, pbem isn't possible because of the constant interaction between players which would force to several mail exchanges during one turn. I suspect the multiplayer to be restricted to the direct internet or lan options.

:p leure: don't like AI & RTS games. To play with friends around a table or in PBEM, especially if it is a long complicated game, that's a must.
I trust Ageod to bring interesting boardgames concept, but if the "multiplayer support" is like Hearts of Iron, i will not get in : after the perfect concept of simultaneous turn-based engine in BOA, AACW, NCP, i will feel very sorry to play again in Real-Time-"Strategy" mode.
Come on, when you finally find the time to gather 4 friends to play in the same time to a game, better do a boardgame... than spending hours to configure a local LAN or Internet settings (and more time to load/save games to continue it later ...or never). :non:

:p apy: Remember PBEM's good for you, sons !
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Hobbes

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm

andatiep wrote: :p leure: don't like AI & RTS games. To play with friends around a table or in PBEM, especially if it is a long complicated game, that's a must.
I trust Ageod to bring interesting boardgames concept, but if the "multiplayer support" is like Hearts of Iron, i will not get in : after the perfect concept of simultaneous turn-based engine in BOA, AACW, NCP, i will feel very sorry to play again in Real-Time-"Strategy" mode.
Come on, when you finally find the time to gather 4 friends to play in the same time to a game, better do a boardgame... than spending hours to configure a local LAN or Internet settings (and more time to load/save games to continue it later ...or never). :non:

I must say lack of PBEM is the killer for me also - although I may still have to get it just to possess it! :p leure:

Cheers, Chris

Clovis

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:36 pm

andatiep wrote: :p leure: don't like AI & RTS games. To play with friends around a table or in PBEM, especially if it is a long complicated game, that's a must.

NO PBEM isn't meaning RTS. As far I Know, It should be a Turn by Turn game. No clickfest.It's not a Wego system but a IGO-YOUGO one. And that's the point: using a IGO-YOUGO is sometimes better in wargame than the WEGO but if the IGO-YOUGO tries to be more complex than "I move I fight it's to you", PBEM becomes nearly impossible. But among the complexities there are some necessities like reserves, multiple combat resolution rounds which are totally IMHO needed for a WW1 wargame.

Now of course, if I understand well the game system, to play against another player, you will have to be connected at the same time. But I don't see why what is routinely possible for RTS or FPS people should be impossible for wargamers...

This game is multiplayer too, not with Outlook express but with Microsft Messenger. That's all.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

PhilThib

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Clovis wrote:NO PBEM isn't meaning RTS. As far I Know, It should be a Turn by Turn game. No clickfest.It's not a Wego system but a IGO-YOUGO one. And that's the point: using a IGO-YOUGO is sometimes better in wargame than the WEGO but if the IGO-YOUGO tries to be more complex than "I move I fight it's to you", PBEM becomes nearly impossible. But among the complexities there are some necessities like reserves, multiple combat resolution rounds which are totally IMHO needed for a WW1 wargame.

Now of course, if I understand well the game system, to play against another player, you will have to be connected at the same time. But I don't see why what is routinely possible for RTS or FPS people should be impossible for wargamers...

This game is multiplayer too, not with Outlook express but with Microsft Messenger. That's all.

Good analysis indeed :coeurs:

alexander seil

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Hmm, one thing to consider about the map - if you think about it, in a real-life planning situation, you would probably end up looking at the map sideways very frequently. The way it is always portrayed is a bunch of general crowded *around* a table with a map on it, so some of them are, in fact, looking at the map from the "wrong" perspective. Besides, many other games portray the world "sideways," War in the Pacific for example, simply because otherwise the map would become too distorted.

pailleterie
Captain

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm

9 turns/years has been confirmed? I prefer 15 daysturn but the game looks great.

Sol Invictus

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 pm

While completely understandable, I am disappointed that pbem will not be possible. I will still buy the game, but won't get the full enjoyment from it that pbem would allow. :p leure:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

bloodybisounours
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:21 pm

No PBEM I don't know if I'm going to buy it... :p leure: :p leure: :p leure:
[CENTER]Image

R.A.A R.U.S[/CENTER]

Bertram

Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm

I understnad the reason it isnt PBEM. But I am not very optimistic about finding a groep of opponents online at the same time.

The reason that this isnt a problem with FPS games is because, first, there is a much larger group of people playing these games, and second, because with those games it doesnt matter so much against who you play. Everybody is shooting everybody else, no talk, no tactics. As soon as the game becomes more complex it IS very difficult to find a good group that works together.

I have tried to play TCP/IP games a few times, mostly Combat Mission, Drop Team and Panzer elite (long time ago). I also play online games, and had a small guild going in some of them. With all of those it was nearly impossible to find a time to play together. If (for a tournament) you needed to play against a specific player, you often ended up playing sunday morning at 6.00 AM. And if you didnt finish the game in one settng, it would take several weeks for the next session could be planned.

So, I hope it is going to work, but I am sceptical.

Bertram

Franciscus

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Well, so there are 2 points that are bringing some disappointment to this community about this coming game: the map orientation - and I promise that I will not talk about it anymore after this post :siffle: , but I do feel that it is a poor game design choice - and the lack of PBEM. This last to me is not important. On the other hand, what I do expect is a strong AI, in Ageod's tradition.

(PS: @ Alexander seil:
alexander seil wrote:Hmm, one thing to consider about the map - if you think about it, in a real-life planning situation, you would probably end up looking at the map sideways very frequently. The way it is always portrayed is a bunch of general crowded *around* a table with a map on it, so some of them are, in fact, looking at the map from the "wrong" perspective. Besides, many other games portray the world "sideways," War in the Pacific for example, simply because otherwise the map would become too distorted.

OK. What would you have thought of Great Invasions with a sideways map on your monitor ?? :tournepas :bonk: )

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

It could have been so good!

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:44 pm

:bonk: I didn't like the map orientation, however, as you lot say people get used to it. Given today's hectic and conflicting schedules, no PBEM means this game will definately not make it onto my, or the vast majority of my gaming friends ' computers. :p leure: :p leure: Very unforunate :bonk: !
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Clovis

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:52 pm

For my own, I will wait the release to assess the weaknesses of LGG
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm

bloodybisounours wrote:No PBEM I don't know if I'm going to buy it... :p leure: :p leure: :p leure:

Truth be told, PBEM isn't possible in many other strategy games, like the EU series. And that, by itself, didn't stop people from playing them multiplayer. And LGG is much, much, much more complex than AACW or WIA.

If AGEOD provides a good UI lobby for setting multiplayer games and that connecting to the game is smooth and simple, I do not see where the problem is.

Clovis

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Drakken wrote:Truth be told, PBEM isn't possible in many other strategy games, like the EU series. And that, by itself, didn't stop people from playing them multiplayer.

Exactly.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

arsan

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 pm

If the PBEM loss comes because of a realistic and interactive turn sequence i won't mind it much.
I prefer a compex and complete game system that simulates the war as best as possible than a simplified system specially tailored for PBEM turn exchanges.

If fact, all i ask is for a reasonably good Ai! :nuts:
I have not played a single PBEM or multiplayer game on my life so i don't think i will miss it much right now... :siffle:

regards

bloodybisounours
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:27 pm

PBEM it's just a cool way for very busy people to play.

Anyway it's just my opinion. If I have to book a couple of nights or afternoons to play a game, I prefer play a boardgame.
[CENTER]Image

R.A.A R.U.S[/CENTER]

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:29 pm

bloodybisounours wrote:Anyway it's just my opinion. If I have to book a couple of nights or afternoons to play a game, I prefer play a boardgame.

Trust me, he LGG boardgame is much longer to set than your average boardgame. :nuts:

Clovis

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:45 pm

bloodybisounours wrote:PBEM it's just a cool way for very busy people to play.

Anyway it's just my opinion. If I have to book a couple of nights or afternoons to play a game, I prefer play a boardgame.

To the condition to get an opponent. In real life too, there are very busy peaople.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Florent

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 pm

2 or 4 players...but can you play Solo against the IA ?
I' m about to change my configuration, is there any problem with Vista with Ageod games.
I have friend for or against Vista.
What is your experience as players ?Thanks

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”