TheDoctorKing

Offensives

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Another newbie question, probably stupid...

I can't seem to start a major offensive in the trench warfare phase. What phase does this occur in? Where would I click or what commands would I give to open the planning window described in the manual?

I got dinged in one game for not doing it. The game should probably not allow you to end the appropriate phase without doing the offensive planning, just to keep newbies from screwing things up too badly.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Assuming you're talking about Grand Offensives?

The button on the top-of-screen Status Bar second from right (has the barbed-wire graphic) opens the Grand Offensive planning screen. If you have selected an Army HQ, the planning map will be centred of that HQ and the potential objective provinces will be highlighted. The Manual states that Grand Offensives must be designated at the start of the year but they can really be designated during any turn including the turn that you wish to commence the offensive. So, you can designate an offensive to start in May and then conduct your initial attacks that very turn. Once you have designated a Grand Offensive, should you cancel it, or fail to meet the requirements of victory you will be heavily penalized in National Will as you have seen. The penalty for not committing to one at all is also severe and the Manual is pretty complete as to how to conduct the offensives themselves. Grand Offensives are a very cool aspect of WW1G IMHO.

The Grand Offensive planning screen also displays your current combat doctrine.

calvinus

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Random wrote:...Grand Offensives are a very cool aspect of WW1G IMHO.

:evilgrin:
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

TheDoctorKing

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks! I like the idea a lot. I just couldn't find the button without your kind assistance...
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”