SkitchieP
Conscript

Grand Offensive Issues

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:59 am

Before I start Im playing 1.08L 2 player mode, not 4.

Im having a little trouble with the details of Grand Offensives. I can set a target, army, date, doctrine, etc just fine. And eventually, the game will correctly determine if I succeeded. However, I can't seem to get some of the finer points.

I can only launch one GO per nation per year. So for example, as Germany if I have a GO in Russia, I can't have another in France. When I try to plan a new one, it takes me to the window for my Eastern offensive, even though I've selected a western front army/province. I can have GO's with both Germany and AH on the eastern front just fine. The manual says one per "side" per "sector", am I reading this wrong?

Second issue I have is with changing the target of the offensive once it has started. This is primarily an issue on the eastern front as I quickly move through all the provinces, including the target, visable in the GO planning screen, then my army stops using any of the GO tactics, the provinces are still counted to the 5 regions needed for success. The manual seems to say you can, BTW I'm in Combined Doctrine.

I also can't use the "Stop/Cancel" offensive button, I push the button and I can see it depress on the screen but nothing happens. I don't think its an issue unless this is whats stopping me from launching 2 GO's at once with Germany.

Kinda a lot of problems to digest. If someone could just tell me I'm wrong in my reading or how to fix an issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.

calvinus

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 am

SkitchieP wrote:I can only launch one GO per nation per year. So for example, as Germany if I have a GO in Russia, I can't have another in France.

Correct: one per nation per year, not more.

SkitchieP wrote:When I try to plan a new one, it takes me to the window for my Eastern offensive, even though I've selected a western front army/province.

You have to wait the next year, when the old offensive is finished.

SkitchieP wrote:Second issue I have is with changing the target of the offensive once it has started. This is primarily an issue on the eastern front as I quickly move through all the provinces, including the target, visable in the GO planning screen, then my army stops using any of the GO tactics, the provinces are still counted to the 5 regions needed for success. The manual seems to say you can, BTW I'm in Combined Doctrine.

Changing the target is not allowed. When you have conquered the target, all close areas are counted also, so don't worry.
When you are in Combined Doctrine, the choice of the target is not so important, because any enemy area is good... so select the target only to give yourself a primary target, let's say... then if you conquer another area, the goal is anyway reached.

SkitchieP wrote:I also can't use the "Stop/Cancel" offensive button, I push the button and I can see it depress on the screen but nothing happens. I don't think its an issue unless this is whats stopping me from launching 2 GO's at once with Germany.

Pressing the button schedules an order, so the Stop/Cancel is not executed immediately... read the label near the button when pressed. ;)

Alzate
Private

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:54 pm

one more basic question, where/how on earth do i access the grand offensives page?. the manual says end of year, which i understand is nov-dec 14. however i am unable to access to it after clicking everywhere
maybe is because my countries are still in transition to trenches, dunno

thanx in advance
by the way, congrats again for delivering a truly gerat game (steep learning curve but worth it. i hav had to read the manual¡ :) )

calvinus

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:25 am

Select a friendly controlled area enough close to the enemy area you want to select as target of the Grand Offensive and then click the appropriate button on the top bar of the screen (that one looking like barbed wire).

Alzate
Private

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 am

calvinus wrote:Select a friendly controlled area enough close to the enemy area you want to select as target of the Grand Offensive and then click the appropriate button on the top bar of the screen (that one looking like barbed wire).

i've tried in several phases of nov-dec 14 and jan-feb 15 but still unable to open the "barbed-wire" button. do i have to wait until my combat doctrine is fully "Trenches"?

calvinus

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:24 am

Yes, wait the "Fire-Power Doctrine".

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”