gbs
Colonel

Event oddities..

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm

These have probably been discussed before so appoligies. I just don't git it.
Example. I have a rebellion figure standing in Trieste with french colors on its base. The cursor dropdown says rebellions everywhere! Not sure where it came from. Does this mean I have rebellions in Austria caused by the French or is the rebellion in France caused by me? Did it come from an event drawn by France to be played on me or did I play it on France and just don't remember?
Another. Events are drawn and I get to keep some. Each event phase I only get one event drawn and I can only get to keep one. I'm in Mar -Apr 1915. The events are sometimes events that would hurt me (CP) if played. Should I draw them and hold them so the enemy side will not get it or should I keep it then discard it. I only have one drawn and can keep only one. What is the best strategy on events. I really don't understand the whole event thing. Some things just don't make since to me. I will say this, the best events to have are Breakthrough and Encircle. I have used them in battles with success.

calvinus

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Ok, let's go step by step.

Every Events phase you draw a variable number of event "cards" (this number depends on how many major nations you control). These "cards" may be mandatory events or stratagems.

In case of mandatory event, the event must be played. You see a newspaper looking window and a variable number of choices. Also the AI draws events, and chooses the worst option for the opponent or the best for her.
"Nationalist Agitation", "Colonial Uprisings" and "Strikes" are examples of mandatory events that are very negative for the target nations. So, if you see a Strike or a Rebellion breaking out in your country, it means either you drew this unhappy event or that the AI drew it and played happily against you.

In case of not-mandatory events (stratagems), you can keep and play them when you wish. If they are negative for you, you can keep them in your hand, so preventing your enemies to play them against you.
Edit: stratagems will be displayed as up-down scrolling cards in the bottom part of the screen; when played you will see the telegram looking window with a variable number of choices.

gbs
Colonel

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm

calvinus wrote:Ok, let's go step by step.

Every Events phase you draw a variable number of event "cards" (this number depends on how many major nations you control). These "cards" may be mandatory events or stratagems.

In case of mandatory event, the event must be played. You see a newspaper looking window and a variable number of choices. Also the AI draws events, and chooses the worst option for the opponent or the best for her.
"Nationalist Agitation", "Colonial Uprisings" and "Strikes" are examples of mandatory events that are very negative for the target nations. So, if you see a Strike or a Rebellion breaking out in your country, it means either you drew this unhappy event or that the AI drew it and played happily against you.

In case of not-mandatory events (stratagems), you can keep and play them when you wish. If they are negative for you, you can keep them in your hand, so preventing your enemies to play them against you.
Edit: stratagems will be displayed as up-down scrolling cards in the bottom part of the screen; when played you will see the telegram looking window with a variable number of choices.

Well, that explains a lot. Thanks. One other thing. The rebellion figure in Trieste means that I do in fact have that problem and will need to keep three corps there in order to offset the negative effect on NW. Why does it have a French Flag base though??? Just to clear thing up.

calvinus

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm

gbs wrote:...Why does it have a French Flag base though??? Just to clear thing up.

Yes, indeed it's confusing. This is why the nation that had to play the event was France. But I'm going to change the flag, that must be the owner of the target area! ;)

Thanks,
Calvinus.

gbs
Colonel

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:56 pm

calvinus wrote:Yes, indeed it's confusing. This is why the nation that had to play the event was France. But I'm going to change the flag, that must be the owner of the target area! ;)

Thanks,
Calvinus.

OK. Then my very simple brain will be able to keep up. ;) Thanks again.

calvinus

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Your simple brain is working better than mine! :D

calvinus

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 pm

I applied this small correction: "nationality" of rebellions and strikes is now the same of area owner.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”