The RC
Civilian

Giving the Demo A Try

Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 am

Greetings.

I noticed this game back when it was released, and discovered these forums shortly afterwards, and have been lurking on and off until tonight. I have an academic interest in the great war, as well as a recreational interest in similar games like Hearts of Iron, so this game seems right up my alley.

First thing I noticed on the forums and in any review I managed to track down was all of the bug issues, and was reluctant to spend $50 (closer to $60 once I work in the conversion from Canadian dollars) on a game I was unsure if I would be able to get into.

Anyway, I'm seeing fantastic support from the developers resolving bug issues (the best I think I've ever seen, to be honest) and now a demo. Even better is that the demo is being patched, which is incredible support.

I plan on giving the demo a try once it is finished downloading, but before I do, I thought I'd ask how the demo compares to the full product. I can't seem to find any information in that regard. How well does it represent the full game? I'd just like to know, as I wouldn't want to decide to buy the game or not based on what the demo doesn't offer. I'm leaning towards making the purchase anyway, but try before you buy is always a good thing.

Thanks for the help.

Nial
Colonel

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 am

The demo once patched is actualy the full game, just with a limited use time limit of 15 days. It's a great innovation in my humble opinion.

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cwjelen
Conscript

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 am

I second that. Usual Demos hardly show how the game really is. I hope others follow this example.

The RC
Civilian

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:48 am

Wow, what a suprise when I loaded that. Very cool indeed.

As for the game itself. Wow. Overload. I'm going to run the tutorials to figure ou how to play, but before that, a couple technical questions.

First, is there a reason that East is up on the map rather than North as is the case with, well, every other map I've ever seen? Any way to change that? It's driving me insane. I'm always feeling like I should be cranking my neck to the left.

Second, the game really chugs. Random pauses while scrolling, selecting units or simply doing nothing and delays opening new menus are common. I didn't really expect that for a turn based game running on a 3.0 ghz dual core processor with 4gb of RAM. Between turns, sure, but just in general makes me thing that something is up. Is this normal?

Nial
Colonel

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:21 am

As far as the map? *chuckle* Yeah it took me awhile to get used to it. Have you upgraded to 105f? It runs quite a bit better these days. And I have every confidence that it will get better still with furure patches.

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:06 pm

The RC wrote:
First, is there a reason that East is up on the map rather than North as is the case with, well, every other map I've ever seen? Any way to change that? It's driving me insane. I'm always feeling like I should be cranking my neck to the left.

This was a design decision. Unfortunate, IMHO, but that's the way it is. No way to change it.
One get's used to it, though (as indeed to most everything else in our lives...:neener :)

Elmo
Captain

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:15 pm

PhilThib said a while ago that they "probably would" rework the map so North is up but not right away. Has there been an official post indicating the map will not be reworked? Thanks.

Source: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11424&page=3

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 pm

No :indien:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Elmo
Captain

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:36 pm

OK, thanks. Will keep an eye out here for an announcement of the new map in the future.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”