Franciscus

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:33 am

wryun wrote:Might it be a good idea to send emails to everyone letting them know that their passwords have been compromised? (in case they're bad people and use them for other things :) )

I received an email...

Rafiki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 am

vaalen wrote:I will not get used to it. Every time I see this new forum, it makes me sad.

I'm sorry to hear that. We would be naive to believe that a rather drastic change in forum appearance would be entirely uncontroversial, but I sincerely hope that those who are taken aback by the change now will grow accustomed to it.

This color change has actually been underway for a little while. However, we would've liked to spend some more time testing and tweaking and also see what we could do to "soften the blow", as it were. With last week's break-in, we had no choice but to opt for doing a full-scale upgrade of the forum software, and though we tried to port the old color scheme to the new version of vBulletin, it proved impossible to accomplish without things looking both weird and "off". Believe me, both I and others spent a lot of time testing, tweaking and debugging it. Perhaps we would've had more success if any of us were more accomplished vBulletin graphic designers, but alas, that is not the case :bonk:

Franciscus wrote:Hey, things are looking better already :thumbsup: (or am I getting used to it ? :) )

See? Give it some time and see if things get better after a while :)

rattler01 wrote:I feel like I'm in the Paradox Formums :(

Well, the Paradox forums are basically blue, so yeah, the color schemes are closer to one another, but still, I'd say there a stretch apart :eyebrow:

Aphrodite Mae wrote:If any of you don't like the current color scheme, why not try an alternative that you can enable, yourself?

If you scroll to the very bottom of the thread, you'll see a combination box at the lower left that's called the "Quick Style Chooser". It may say something like "DarkVision". If you click the drop-down arrow, you'll see that there's another choice! :) On my list, the alternate choice is labeled "vb4 Default". This changes my color scheme to white, with blue trim.

There's another method, too! Select "General options" on your User Control Panel. At the bottom of the page, under the heading "miscellaneous", you'll see a subheading titled "skin". The box is identical to the "quick style chooser".

Thanks, Mae. This is very helpful to those who really don't like the default dark scheme :thumbsup:

wryun wrote:Might it be a good idea to send emails to everyone letting them know that their passwords have been compromised? (in case they're bad people and use them for other things :) )

We have, actually. However, we decided to respect those who, such as yourself, have said they do not wish to receive administrative e-mails. This is why you haven't received such an e-mail
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Le Ricain

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Well done, Rafiki. Your hard work is very much appreciated. It is great to be back in the forum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

lodilefty

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Is there a time-out on logins now? After being away a while, I gotta log-in again it seems...

...or did I forget to check 'remember me"?

...or is the Monkeyboy monkeying?

...or do you get logged out if you change your password?

...or.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Narwhal

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Well done. I like the new forum theme and I find it more practical.

Franciscus

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't think forum notifications for private messages are working ?
Although email notifications of incoming PM are working :)

rattler01
Captain

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:18 pm

lodilefty wrote:Is there a time-out on logins now? After being away a while, I gotta log-in again it seems...

...or did I forget to check 'remember me"?

...or is the Monkeyboy monkeying?

...or do you get logged out if you change your password?

...or.....

From my experience Bulletin powered forums will log you out after ** mins of inactivity. Haven't seen a option to change this. Very annoying.

But the "remember me" option is only for auto filling a username. Nothing to do with password, with my understandings.
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

rattler01
Captain

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Franciscus wrote:I don't think forum notifications for private messages are working ?

You have to change settings under "Forum Actions" tab, "general settings" section
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

gekkoguy82
Major

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Rafiki, just out of curiosity, and mostly for folks whom are unhappy about the color changes and such, would it not be possible to implement multiple color schemes like Paradox has in their forum? I'm currently using a lighter colored theme over there that makes it easier for me to read, but there are multiple choices aside from the default blue. I don't know if this is possible, and know you guys you might have already considered it but I was wondering if it's an option. Honestly I don't mind the new forum, kind of a nice refresher :) All things must change at one point or another. Keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

Hohenlohe

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:39 pm

I am happy to see you all back online...it was a major shock for me seeing the board occupied by this hacker guy ,but I hope all is well again in the meantime...

heartly greetings

Hohenlohe,a dedicated AGEOD fanboy
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Franciscus

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:41 pm

There's a rumour that the hackers were in fact...girls !!? :blink:

NefariousKoel
Captain

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:27 pm

AGEOD forums back in business!

.. and there was much rejoicing. :thumbsup:

Generalisimo

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Franciscus wrote:There's a rumour that the hackers were in fact...girls !!? :blink:

AFAIK... yep... a group of norwegian girls... :(
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Hohenlohe

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Generalisimo wrote:AFAIK... yep... a group of norwegian girls... :(

NorSec is a group of hacker girlies...?? What has Rafiki done with them for what they were so angry about us...??

greetings

Hohenlohe :coeurs:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Franciscus

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Hohenlohe wrote:NorSec is a group of hacker girlies...?? What has Rafiki done with them for what they were so angry about us...??

Or...what he has NOT done with them ?... :wacko: :coeurs:

Narwhal

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:08 pm

NorSec claims it is constituted of a group of 3 Norwegians born in 1999.

So the girlies would be 13 y.o. at best. Believe it if you want ;)

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:24 pm

[quote="Rafiki"]I'm sorry to hear that. We would be naive to believe that a rather drastic change in forum appearance would be entirely uncontroversial, but I sincerely hope that those who are taken aback by the change now will grow accustomed to it.

This color change has actually been underway for a little while. However, we would've liked to spend some more time testing and tweaking and also see what we could do to "soften the blow", as it were. With last week's break-in, we had no choice but to opt for doing a full-scale upgrade of the forum software, and though we tried to port the old color scheme to the new version of vBulletin, it proved impossible to accomplish without things looking both weird and "off". Believe me, both I and others spent a lot of time testing, tweaking and debugging it. Perhaps we would've had more success if any of us were more accomplished vBulletin graphic designers, but alas, that is not the case :bonk:

I did not realize that. I am grateful to you for trying to keep the beautiful original design. I will do my best to get used to it, though it will take a long time. But at least I can read it, thanks to Aphrodite Mae.

Hobbes

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm just glad the forums are back and there is a lot I like about the new forum software. I'm not so keen on everything being so dark though - and the forum does look a little more like any other generic forum rather than the AGEOD forum look that we loved. I also worry that if people can change the look of the forum individually - little graphics that people make like avatars or Aphrodite's medal bars for example may look odd to people that view the forums with their own skins.

Not a big deal though. Things are looking pretty good to me. Little problems like these will get sorted out over time I'm sure.

Thanks,
Chris

Bison
Conscript

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Forums are looking good gents. Although it seems my old account is lost for some reason.

temporary_me
Civilian

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Anyone else having trouble re-setting their password? The form fields take my old account email alright, but after several attempts I'm still not receiving the message with link for password resetting (and yes, I have checked through junk mail folders, etc).

squarian (as once was)

Rafiki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm

rattler01 wrote:From my experience Bulletin powered forums will log you out after ** mins of inactivity. Haven't seen a option to change this. Very annoying.

There's a forum-wide setting that is applied to all users. Hereabouts, it's usually set to 15 minutes, barring any nefarious doings on my part :evilgrin:

But the "remember me" option is only for auto filling a username. Nothing to do with password, with my understandings.

Actually, it lets you stay logged in when you revisit the forum later on. I.e. you don't have to log in each to you come to the forums. Requires cookies to be enabled, though

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Franciscus wrote:I don't think forum notifications for private messages are working ?

We're looking into this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Hohenlohe wrote:NorSec is a group of hacker girlies...?? What has Rafiki done with them for what they were so angry about us...??

:cthulhu: :evilgrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

caranorn

Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:51 pm

temporary_me wrote:Anyone else having trouble re-setting their password? The form fields take my old account email alright, but after several attempts I'm still not receiving the message with link for password resetting (and yes, I have checked through junk mail folders, etc).

squarian (as once was)

It took a while for me to get the email notification with the new password. So maybe you just have to wait a bit longer...
Marc aka Caran...

Carnium

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33 pm

Great to see the forum back in action :thumbsup:

Franciscus

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:26 am

I think this was a false alarm, sorry.
It happened in my...work computer :cool: , that has an old version of IE (6, I think). In my laptop with Chrome I received a forum notification without problem :thumbsup:

RELee
Lieutenant

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:55 am

Hackers!

Don't that just fry yer grits?

Rafiki

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 am

Franciscus wrote:I think this was a false alarm, sorry.
It happened in my...work computer :cool: , that has an old version of IE (6, I think). In my laptop with Chrome I received a forum notification without problem :thumbsup:

Good to hear; now I just need to figure why it isn't working for me... :wacko:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jim-NC

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I must say I preferred the old look. This darkvision will work, but is not my preferred look. I will get used to it no doubt. I tried the vb4, and can't handle it.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 pm

You did say Constructive criticism, right? Well, all's good under the hood :cool: , however, I miss the Parchment-colored and lived-in feel of the old forums. :p oke:
Good Day!
George McClellan is locked in Cincinati until Lincoln admits he's a baboon.Image

Return to “News from AGEod”