Ilitarist
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

3D is a step ahead.

1) If someone will see game in store he will think this is a real deal, not some cheap 2D indie. New people in wargame community => better world and more money for AGEOD => better games for you.

2) Moddability and patchability.

3) Looks very detailed.

As for real-time... Nobody knows mechanics yet, although it's really sad to see simultanious turns disappear.

By the way interface looks much better than any previous game. We still have big useless areas of interface, but at least they don't look like epileptic nightmare in Pride of Nations.

Bison36
Conscript

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 am

Matto wrote:It looks like mix ... multiplayer only PBEM = it will be not real time paradox strategy, but turn based, correct?

Hmm, may be not ... the button one the top right corner is typical Paradox for real time timing ... + pause on one screenshot

boudi wrote:What about AGEOD's ATHENA WEGO engine ? What about our lovely games, from BOA, AACW to ROP/RUS ?

Can we keep hope for new ATHENA games about, by exemple, The Boers war in south Africa, or the seven years war on a planet map, from America to India through Europe (Wars in America + Rise of Prussia ) ?

So, AGEOD is definitivly dead, eaten by Paradox or not ??? :(

These thoughts make me sick to my stomach. Hopefully the Phils have some words that will brighten my spirits.

Maulet
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 pm

I am not happy :(

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 pm

It's sad really...Ageod games have been my favorites...and an updated Napoleon's Ambition is not anywhere near being the quality of a traditional Ageod game.

Franciscus

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:46 pm

If NCP 2 is going to be real time I will probably not buy it. I am sick and tired of Paradox real time, really. :(

Kavelioc
Conscript

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

This still looks like the AGEOD engine from the screenshots, but given those awful Paradox graphics. I imagine this will still have AGEOD's depth underneath.

Pocus

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 pm

The map is by far not final, in fact the artist was really despaired to have this early graphic stage of a map shown. But yes, it is on the Clausewitz engine, real-time so.

Units cards are still there, in fact we are reusing all 2D arts of NCP1.

There will be an AGE/Athena game engine game released in 2012 too, more later be assured.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Seven
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm guessing this is the same artist who painted the Hearts of Iron III map?

What happened to the genius who painted all your other games?

Not pleased. Very sad. Replaced beauty with mediocrity.

Kavelioc
Conscript

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:01 pm

On second thoughts I've just looked again at the screenshots and seen those real time buttons (fast speed, pause etc.) and ouch ... my faith has gone. Yet again a developer has lowered their own bar to appeal to a larger audience, rather than raise it to build upon the fan base they already have. Worried this is going to be another Silent Hunter V.

PhilThib

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Pocus wrote:There will be an AGE/Athena game engine game released in 2012 too, more later be assured.

... and it will be on a theme not yet treated that you shall like :D

I'll keep you posted

As for NCP2, this is AGEOD content an the game will have a rather heavy and deep content :cool:

Bison36
Conscript

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Sorry Pocus, but that is really not good news IMHO.

Looking forward to the next real AGE engine game.

nadia911
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Real time ?!?!?!

Paradox engine ?!?!?!

No thanks... :(

V for Vegas
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Honestly I think this is a good move for ageod. I bought NC1 and goddamn did I beat my head against that interface for a long time before I gave up on it, even though I love the period. Having ageod do a game in the clauswitz engine that I am familiar with is just fantastic news. I am really looking foward to this guys!

Florent

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 pm

It will be a new experience and we will see more and more thus we have to wait.
A question is about the title 1805-1815.
Does it mean that the Egyptian Campaign will not be there ?

wosung

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Now the first thing is, it'll be good if the two Phils will make some money out of this - if they are at all involved in this (It's not definitely stated in that announcement). I suspect for them the last few years weren't exactly good ones moneywise.

From the Paradox announcement: "Napoleon's Campaigns II is the heir of the original and successful Napoleon’s Campaign [sic]."

Sorry, but this is marketing newspeak.
The original was Napoleon’s CampaignS , not "Campaign". So much for the high esteem for, or should I say value of, former AGE games nowadays.

Just judged from those screenshots over there, "heir" in this case means a very, very distant relative: Campaigns II, it seems, will be 3d and RT "pausable". Take a look at those screenshots: In the upper right corner you'll find Paradox typical RT interface, a pause button, and on different screenshots the two dates 1 Jan., 1805 and 3 Jan. 1805. And surly the whole 10 years won't play out daily turn-based. For me right now the whole thing looks more like "EU: Napoleon's Ambition II" than "Napoleon's Campaigns II".

If the original Nappy Campaigns would have been successful, Ageod would still be Ageod and not Paradox France.

Besides, I really would like to know:

-Are you, the 2 Phils involved in this?
-What will be the future of the TB AGE engine?
-What about the second project hinted at in this very thread at Ageod's forum? Which engine will it use? Devilish thought, NOT to start a rumor: This second project by Paradox France, it won't look like "EU: Rome II", will it?!

Right now we only have a few screenshots and a meagre announcement. Based on this, I'm not too happy. It seems you, the Phils, now are brought to aim at a younger generation of gamers, than you used to be in Ageod times.

All the power to you.

Regards

nadia911
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

AGEOD lose customers with this :(

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=582399&p=5

This is a very, very sad day for the wargaming community...

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I guess we all have preferences...and I feel both Ageod and Paradox have their strengths.

Ageod has always taken a particular strategic situation and created a game focused upon successfully resolving the key strategic challenge of the game's topic. Maps, music, character capabilities have all been molded to address the strategic issue at hand. There was a specific time and objective challenge to be met. The crafting of these games...and I have them all...has been my personal favorite games with only one exception (Steel Panthers).

Paradox has always created interesting 'toolkits' that included a number of elements and capabilities that fit a long term time setting. A number of modules that detailed trading, diplomacy, battles, characters, etc. There was a challenge in dealing with the period and nation of choice constraints...but no specific strategic challenge. In my opinion, interesting...but not nearly as fun and educational (from a strategic situation viewpoint) as Ageod games.

It has been my hope that Paradox would embrace the exceptional capabilities that the Ageod team has in place to improve the strategic focus...while applying the well honed 'toolkit' modules to the Ageod framework.

I sincerely hope that Paradox is not hoping to 'buy' Ageods fans through the purchase with a few Ageod attributes to essentially Paradox games. This will not work. Paradox needs the strategic focus Ageod has demonstrated to build their business to the next level.

The initial screenshots are indicative of a move towards the Paradox 'toolkit' real-time approach. If this is true, the essence of what made Ageod the company it was will be lost...and with it the purchases that Paradox was looking for with the purchase of Ageod.

Let Ageod lead the core design...they have a unique and very valuable capability here. Paradox should create the 'toolkit' that enables the concept to take flight...that would be leveraging the strengths of each organization.

This is meant in a positive way. I admire both companies...and own all of Ageod's and most of Paradox's strategic games.

Good luck.

boudi

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

boudi wrote:What about AGEOD's ATHENA WEGO engine ? What about our lovely games, from BOA, AACW to ROP/RUS ?

Can we keep hope for new ATHENA games about, by exemple, The Boers war in south Africa, or the seven years war on a planet map, from America to India through Europe (Wars in America + Rise of Prussia ) ?

So, AGEOD is definitivly dead, eaten by Paradox or not ??? :(

AGE engine of course. ;) Athena is the AI's nickname i think.

Thank-you Philppe(s) for your answer, i'm impatient to discover your new game.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Emx77 wrote:As for NCP2, this is AGEOD content an the game will have a rather heavy and deep content :cool:

That's all that matters.

For raging guys: have you noticed the font has changed? Game series is RUINED FOREVER.

PhilThib

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:40 pm

wosung wrote:-Are you, the 2 Phils involved in this?

Yes we are, and we also have more support from the home Paradox team, but don't worry, we are heading the project...

...and the Paradox motto for this title was to keep and improve the AGEOD touch.... there is no conspiracy here ;) Technical choices regarding engine and other matters have been duly weighted before making a choice

wosung wrote:-What will be the future of the TB AGE engine?

There will be more games on that engine, and the engine will get improved as far as its main weaknesses are concerned :thumbsup:

wosung wrote:-What about the second project hinted at in this very thread at Ageod's forum? Which engine will it use? Devilish thought, NOT to start a rumor: This second project by Paradox France, it won't look like "EU: Rome II", will it?!

It's the classical AGEOD's TB engine :cool: It is a subject not yet tackled, and the fans will love it. In addition the game will come with quite a few scenarios and an expansion pack quickly, plus very interesting DLC's and room for more...much more :neener:

and, even more interesting, players and fans will be able to "influence" the evolution choice of that new game..

We are now streamlining a few technical, commercial and contractual aspects of that second game...patience :)

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:50 pm

I am quite optimistic for NC2. Relax, everybody. ;)
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

PhilThib said there would be an Ageod game released and people were still posting that the Athena engine was dead.

It appears that it is exactly what we thought it would be - there will be 2 new games, 1 a Paradox engine type game and 1 an Ageod engine type game.

That is good enough for me. I was hoping for an announcement of what the release would be for Athena, but I guess I will wait some more.

The Napoleon game does not blow my skirt up, but I'm not as dead set against the real time engine as others. If it has the Ageod management in its development, I'll definitely give it a serious look.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Pocus wrote: But yes, it is on the Clausewitz engine, real-time so.

Units cards are still there, in fact we are reusing all 2D arts of NCP1.

PhilThib wrote:Yes we are, and we also have more support from the home Paradox team, but don't worry, we are heading the project...

Can we see the unit cards ? :D If it is real time and being developed in Clausewitz engine most probably battle calculation will be different then how heading project ? But nonetheless it will be good, different game.(Hope)
Edit: How will the pbem system?

PhilThib wrote:

There will be more games on that engine, and the engine will get improved as far as its main weaknesses are concerned :thumbsup:

It's the classical AGEOD's TB engine :cool: It is a subject not yet tackled, and the fans will love it. In addition the game will come with quite a few scenarios and an expansion pack quickly, plus very interesting DLC's and room for more...much more :neener:

and, even more interesting, players and fans will be able to "influence" the evolution choice of that new game..

Excellent news :thumbsup:

Buddy3101
Civilian

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi everybody :)

I noticed the announcement of NCII and new to this forum.

At http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/napoleons-campaigns-ii I read that there will be a multiplayer restriction: Play-by-Email only... Is this correct?
No Lan sessions?
....and what is with Country Sharing i multiplayer will it be supported?

Bison36
Conscript

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:13 pm

PhilThib wrote:It's the classical AGEOD's TB engine :cool: It is a subject not yet tackled, and the fans will love it. In addition the game will come with quite a few scenarios and an expansion pack quickly, plus very interesting DLC's and room for more...much more :neener:

We are now streamlining a few technical, commercial and contractual aspects of that second game...patience :)

Well at least there is this as a consolation.

benpark
Sergeant

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Sorry, real time is a no-go for me.

That was a huge positive in the AGEoD vs. Paradox systems for me. To take a game that the previous AGEoD fans knew and liked so much in the older system and to then change it so radically is a real bummer.

Carnium

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

I was hoping for the good old AGEOD engine for NPC 2 too :p leure: :p leure: :p leure:
Real time strategies are not for me... bought HOI 3 collection on Christmas sale and it is a damn mess.... :bonk:
Also Paradox maps are really horrid and I always loved the beautiful old AGEOD maps.
Well it is an end of an era for us old fans and a new beginning for masses of new fans. Hopefully ;)

nadia911
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 pm

HOI·, Victoria II, Sengoku do not care, i played AGEOD games, no Paradox games, i like one AGEOD game... this is the end in AGEOD wargames, very sad

vonRocko
Colonel

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Real time? Good God. The paradox assimilation is complete! ageod has been absorbed. Well all good things come to an end. :(
RIP Ageod

wijse

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:03 pm

So when is the announcement of the new ageod engine game coming? I think that was what most people were looking forward to. NO OFFENSE.
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

Return to “News from AGEod”