Alex Riniotis
Civilian

KOREAN WAR

Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Hello,
Im Alex from Greece
I graduated with a BA in International Relations and now Im doing my MA in Japanese studies.

I just want to suggest that a strategy game with Korean war theme in the mechanics of "To End all Wars" , "Thirty Years War", "War of succession" etc, will totally kick ass in the market as the only serious game with Korean War is the "Theatre of War: Korea", which is not bad but definitely not a great game. Personally I liked it very much but the same theme in Ageod mechanics and gameplay would be hundred times better.

Imagine the map with the great Korean peninsula as the battlezone and possibly Kyushu and Manchuria as deployment zones (not war zones) for UN and Chinese forces respectively.

Moreover, the UN forces would have many special units in the form of foreign battalions, brigades, divisions etc (eg Greek Sparta Battalion, the Phillipine troops etc)

There are so many elements that can be added to such a game and there can be 4 campaign modes overall (North Korean offensive- Summer 1950/ UN offensive until the North Korean capitulation/ Chinese Winter Offensive/ and a grand campaign from 1950-1953 which includes all)

For more info please contact me on this email: balkanwars1912.1913@gmail.com
Im sure such a project would be unique and profitable.

andrzej
Major

Re: KOREAN WAR

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:10 pm

The ageod engine is not suitable for modern wars. The map with regions is too abstract for a war where battles can be fought for years over a piece of land several square kilometers. The command system is too archaic for the modern era, aviation is too abstract . Ageod is great for pre-industrial wars as well as civil wars with many participants,And here the Ageod engine has no equal. but the engine cannot handle modern large-scale war!

Or are you proposing to create a new engine for modern wars? What for ? There are a bunch of turn-based hexagonal wargames where there is the Korean War. (JTS ,TOAW )

But of course you can not listen to me and make your own game about the Korean War - so one person made the game Espana'36 by himself, based on the game Revolution Under Sieg. And it turned out quite well.
Last edited by andrzej on Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leibst

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:25 pm

The main problem I see here is the Air warfare.
But is a good topic.

Pocus

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:50 pm

Perhaps with clever and intensive use of Regional Decisions? You don't actually have to see planes fly I mean, they can be used as conditions for the use of RGDs.

Kriegsspieler

Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Pocus makes a good point here. In one of John Tiller's games, for example, you simply have a set of air assets in a country's stockpile that can be deployed to various regions, and assigned to missions in those regions. The turn resolution resolves any combats, assesses losses, and next turn you do it again. You don't need on-map air assets to have something like this, and it doesn't subtract from realism at all, in my opinion., if the scale of action doesn't make issues of range a major consideration, as would be the case in Korea.

I think it was in a Tiller game that I saw this. Maybe someone else can correct me, if I'm wrong.

Nikel

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 pm

PhilThib is creating a game on the Korean War, but with his new engine, very different of the old one.

https://strategygamestudio.com/shop/sgs-korean-war/

Pocus

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am

2 turns a day ... Will there be a full campaign?

Nikel

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:22 pm

I guess there will be.

Of course that is an error, 2 weeks I suppose.

Return to “News from AGEod”