Kaoru
Private

AutoRaise & .inc files Questions

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:49 am

I have a few questions about (drumroll, please!) AutoRaise, both in units, in scripts, and in scenario files. I've read this handy little topic on the subject, and as much of the information in the rest of the forum as I could find. I'll try to organize this to be as easy-to-read as possible.

Just as an overview: I'm currently working on balancing a modified French and Indian War scenario that makes a few alternate-history assumptions, and uses AutoRaise for both sides - with the British, considering their numerative manpower advantage, benefiting more for it. Admittedly, I'm just doing this for fun. :thumbsup: Thanks in advance for any help!

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]SCENARIO FILES[/color][/size]
Having also read this gem of a topic, I'm as well-versed as could be expected in how to create and modify scenarios. This is good, because, as I quickly learned, autoraise data is usually nested in the scenario file, in one way or another. I've already set

Code: Select all

AutoRaiseON   1
for both sides in my modified .xls setup file, and many tests I've run have worked successfully. However, I've run into a snag. I created a new file - "55AutoRaise.inc" - which I specified should be included using the

Include   55AutoRaise.inc
line in the setup.

It works fine - but I noticed something unfortunate. Unlike the files specified for inclusion in scenario event files (.sct files), changes made in .inc files are not reflected in a scenario unless one goes through the entire scenario-creation process ("Make Script" in CVS Splitter, run game in edit mode, save scenario, exit, restart) again. This makes adjusting autoraise levels a sincere hassle. To further complicate things, there's actually an autoraise section already included in the setup file. My questions are, then:

[color="Red"]1.[/color] What is the purpose of the 'AutoRaise' section in the setup file, if you use a separate, AutoRaise .inc? Does it add to, replace, or get replaced by the separate file? Is it okay to streamline things by just using the separate file?

[color="Red"]2.[/color] Because it's rather annoying to re-encode the scenario file every time I modify autoraise levels, is there some way to have the game load these separately from the scenario file, so changes made in them will be detected as quickly as changes in event files are - or, at least, within one restart? Could I, perhaps, specify my .inc file in the scenario file - such as

1756 Montcalm.sct
  Optionsdip_FIW.sct
  Optionsmil_FIW.sct
  1755 RaidResponse.sct
  1755 Cherokee.sct
  55AutoRaise.inc
- or does that only work for event files?

I'm aware of the fact that AutoRaise levels can be set by event - would I be better off, for testing purposes, just writing an event that fires the second month, to accomplish what my AutoRaise .inc would?

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]SCRIPTS[/color][/size]
Speaking of the AutoRaise .inc file, I have just a couple of questions regarding it. Part of what I'm trying to do is add a couple Indian units to the autoraise proceedings for both sides - which is proving difficult! Take the French side, for instance. These two lines:

AutoRaise = $uni_INF_Bra1|2|35
  AutoRaise = $uni_INF_Bra3|1|20   
raise, time after time, a sum total of zero - 0 - Indians. I've changed the AutoRaise, RaiseRule, and Area of both Indian units (setting them to populate the $Louisianne and $North_West areas) - but more on that in the next section. My questions are:

[color="Red"]3.[/color] Based on what was said to Lodilefty in his AutoRaise topic, I recall that this number -

AutoRaise = $uni_INF_Bra1|[color="Red"]2[/color]|35
- is measured against the number of units of this type already on the map, during the autoraise calculations. Setting it at 20, 35, and even 65, however, still netted no Indian raisings. Is it impossible to AutoRaise units of which there are already quite a few on the map, no matter what this value is set to?

[color="Red"]4.[/color] I recall reading in another topic that units are only Autoraised in strategic cities. Do I need to add a VP to Indian villages, or other settlements in the greater Louisianne and Northwest areas, to see any results? Or is there something else I'm missing?

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]UNITS[/color][/size]
Finally, units. My questions relate to these five lines, which are presented in absence of the rest of the file around them.

ForcePool = x
AutoRaise = x
RaiseRule = x
Area = x
AltArea = x

[color="Red"]5.[/color] ForcePool sets...what, exactly? I know that in ACW it sets the base, unmodified number of that unit that can be trained - but units aren't trained in WIA. Is ForcePool a surrogate value for the number in red?

$uni_INF_Bra1|[color="Red"]2[/color]|35
Does it replace this value, modify it, or get replaced by it? Is it checked against it during AutoRaise? Seriously, what's the deal with it?

[color="Red"]6.[/color] AutoRaise has two values with which I am familiar -

AutoRaise = -1
which means AutoRaise is disabled, and

AutoRaise = 1
which means AutoRaise is enabled. However, I see other values within the unit files - values of 0, values of 2, values of 3, and I even saw one of 4. What values are actually acceptable for the AutoRaise field? What do they all do?

[color="Red"]7.[/color] Same with RaiseRule - I've seen -1, 1, 2, etcetera. Based on the other topic, I assume these values refer to Militia, Tory, and Continental raise-rules, for which the values are all hidden - but which is which? What values give what results?

[color="Red"]8.[/color] Finally, Area and AltArea - I assume that the unit's preferred raising-point is in the Area, and it will also occasionally appear in the AltArea - but will it only be raised in strategic cities? And does it tend to want to appear in the largest city in the chosen area?

Lots of questions - but thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for any service or aid you can render!
~Kaoru

lodilefty

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 pm

I'll try to answer some of your questions, and hope the dev team can assist us both on other parts! :D

Kaoru wrote:[color="blue"]<snip>[/color]

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]SCENARIO FILES[/color][/size]

[color="blue"]<snip>[/color]

[color="Red"]1.[/color] What is the purpose of the 'AutoRaise' section in the setup file, if you use a separate, AutoRaise .inc? Does it add to, replace, or get replaced by the separate file? Is it okay to streamline things by just using the separate file?

[color="Blue"]We simply didn't separate the Autoraise section in the 1775 Scenario set. The last Autoraise commands will be in effect. Note that Autoraise will set the values, but the command ChgAutoraise [as used in Diplomatic options for 1775] will actually change the values[/color]

[color="Red"]2.[/color] Because it's rather annoying to re-encode the scenario file every time I modify autoraise levels, is there some way to have the game load these separately from the scenario file, so changes made in them will be detected as quickly as changes in event files are - or, at least, within one restart? Could I, perhaps, specify my .inc file in the scenario file - such as

1756 Montcalm.sct
  Optionsdip_FIW.sct
  Optionsmil_FIW.sct
  1755 RaidResponse.sct
  1755 Cherokee.sct
  55AutoRaise.inc
- or does that only work for event files?

[color="blue"]It will if you code the .inc as an event. Simply add the First line, Conditions, Actions {then you autoraise} then an EndEvent line. I would rename it 55AutoRaise.sct and put it in \Events, just to avoid confusion[/color]

I'm aware of the fact that AutoRaise levels can be set by event - would I be better off, for testing purposes, just writing an event that fires the second month, to accomplish what my AutoRaise .inc would?

[color="blue"]The only reason we don't do that is to speed up 'event processing time' each turn, as the engine will spend a few micro-seconds on you event every turn. OK for debugging and development though :D [/color]

[color="Magenta"]Also, be aware that events process after the Engine 'does its thing', so your AutoRaise changes will take effect during the next turn, not the turn the event fires. So, be sure you code your event to fire before the AutoRaise/Disband months execute[/color]....

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]SCRIPTS[/color][/size]
[color="blue"]<snip>[/color]
My questions are:

[color="Red"]3.[/color] Based on what was said to Lodilefty in his AutoRaise topic, I recall that this number -

AutoRaise = $uni_INF_Bra1|[color="Red"]2[/color]|35
- is measured against the number of units of this type already on the map, during the autoraise calculations. Setting it at 20, 35, and even 65, however, still netted no Indian raisings. Is it impossible to AutoRaise units of which there are already quite a few on the map, no matter what this value is set to?

[color="red"]This may be that the INF is in this case a SubFaction of FRA. You may have discovered a bug. We need developer to answer....[/color]

[color="Red"]4.[/color] I recall reading in another topic that units are only Autoraised in strategic cities. Do I need to add a VP to Indian villages, or other settlements in the greater Louisianne and Northwest areas, to see any results? Or is there something else I'm missing?

[color="Red"]I think that you need to own at least one strategic city to raise, but we need dev to confirm. [note that aurRebel_EnemyAllCityFewSupport_ = 0
or its equivalent for France could be in effect, being interpreted as INF owning 0 cities][/color]

[SIZE="2"][color="Blue"]UNITS[/color][/size]
Finally, units. My questions relate to these five lines, which are presented in absence of the rest of the file around them.

ForcePool = x
AutoRaise = x
RaiseRule = x
Area = x
AltArea = x

[color="Red"]5.[/color] ForcePool sets...what, exactly? I know that in ACW it sets the base, unmodified number of that unit that can be trained - but units aren't trained in WIA. Is ForcePool a surrogate value for the number in red?

$uni_INF_Bra1|[color="Red"]2[/color]|35
Does it replace this value, modify it, or get replaced by it? Is it checked against it during AutoRaise? Seriously, what's the deal with it?

[color="Blue"]Forcepool in WIA is, AFAIK, ignored. A unit must appear in an AutoRaise command line in setup or event to 'join the partie'...
This value in the DB to maintain compatibility with the other games. [Several columns do 'nothing ;) ][/color]

[color="Red"]6.[/color] AutoRaise has two values with which I am familiar -

AutoRaise = -1
which means AutoRaise is disabled, and

AutoRaise = 1
which means AutoRaise is enabled. However, I see other values within the unit files - values of 0, values of 2, values of 3, and I even saw one of 4. What values are actually acceptable for the AutoRaise field? What do they all do?

[color="blue"]AFAIK, this is also ignored in WIA. Same deal, value must be set in AutoRaise command line for the unit... Other values may well be quirks of 'row copy' in Excel ;) [/color]

[color="Red"]7.[/color] Same with RaiseRule - I've seen -1, 1, 2, etcetera. Based on the other topic, I assume these values refer to Militia, Tory, and Continental raise-rules, for which the values are all hidden - but which is which? What values give what results?

[color="Red"]We need dev help here again.....[/color]

[color="Red"]8.[/color] Finally, Area and AltArea - I assume that the unit's preferred raising-point is in the Area, and it will also occasionally appear in the AltArea - but will it only be raised in strategic cities? And does it tend to want to appear in the largest city in the chosen area?

[color="Blue"]Again, I think a Strategic City is required.... [/color]

Lots of questions - but thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for any service or aid you can render!
~Kaoru

You are making excellent progress! :w00t:
Thank you for your interest! :thumbsup: :coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “WIA Mods”