JackoWords
Private

Question about Creating a Leader

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:52 am

I recently made my first attempt at modding BoA II, with the result that I had to reinstall my game after it would no longer initialize.

After first attempting to mod the various files by hand, I followed the steps present in this thread:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2810

...specifically post 11.

I followed each step in this thread exactly, with the exception of:

"Now you need to add the strings for 'ldr_txt...' and 'ArmyName...' to the LocalStrings_BOA42.xls"

and

"Copy the new pictures for the leader to
...\BoA\Graphics\Armies&Fleets\"

...since Local Strings appears to require differently named text, and I could not any reference in the excel sheets to any other graphic except the one which should appear in \BoA\Graphics\Units\.

I wanted to try again, but since my results were ruinous last time, I wanted first to double check that this post is comprehensive and correct.

Please let me know if you have any comments, and thanks!

lodilefty

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Yes very good instructions. :D

Be sure you are using the equivalent WIA [BoA2] spreadsheets, however ;)
Link to these in my signature below...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

JackoWords
Private

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Lodilefty!

In regards to where those instructions and BoA II diverge, however, do you have any guidance?

For instance, in Local Strings, I can find no evidence of the existence of ArmyName. Instead, it appears that you have to add (for a British Leader):

Model_Name_GBR_XXX
Model_ShortName_GBR_XXX
Unit_Name_GBR_XXX
Unit_ShortName_GBR_XXX
ldr_txt_GBR_XXX

...is this correct?

Additionally, I can only find one reference to a graphics file, which appears to go into the directory: \BoA\Graphics\Units\. Is this the only graphics file which I must create for my new Leader?

Thanks!

malthaussen
Sergeant

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 am

I'd like to have this clarified as well.

It appears for adding leaders, one must create five new entries each in the file WIA ==> Settings ==> Local_Strings_WIA

These entries are as follows:

Model_Name_FFF_LLN
Model_ShortName_FFF_LLN
Unit_Name_FFF_LLN
Unit_ShortName_FFF_LLN
LDR_Txt_FFF_LLN

Where FFF= Faction abbreviation; and LLN = Leader's Last Name.

Model_Name and Unit_Name take the leader's full name in all cells but the first and the sixth; the first cell contains the "Model_Name" descriptior, and the sixth, it appears, receives a number of question marks which appear to follow no discernable pattern.

The other three entries contain the leader's last name only in the data cells. plus the descriptor in the first cell and the question marks in the sixth. To make life more interesting, it appears the second cell of "Unit_ShortName" expects the first initial and last name of the leader.

Is this information correct? Is anything missing?

Pictures must be provided for two folders for the general: the portrait (sqare with pic in circle) in WIA ==> Graphics ==> Units. "Portraits," contrary to what one might think, contains the pictures of combat units only.

And a rectangular pic for when the general commands a force, in folder WIA ==> Graphics ==> Armies&Fleets.

-- Mal

lodilefty

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Those are the "naming conventions" we typically use. If your mod ever gets made "official" (integrated into the patches), you must use these conventions. :)

Actually, the strings, portraits etc for any new Unit/Model are defined in the Model file, so you can define any Alias (or even just put your plain text in your model file!!!) and "share" existing text if appropriate...

Leaders usually have a 1:1 relationship (Model, Unit, etc.) whereas other models and units "share" text, portraits etc....

If you are artistically challenged (like me :wacko :) , you can assign any existing graphic from Graphics\Units to a new model. Doesn't have to even be another leader pic :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Carilloneur
Conscript

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 am

Concerning the numbering of leaders to be added (models, units), do you also have some recommendations ?
I guess they have to sequentially follow those previously added as a patch, which have to be taken into account : for example, after King William's & Pontiac's War (very good work). Otherwise one risks to mess up the whole numbering system.
What do you think ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Carilloneur wrote:Concerning the numbering of leaders to be added (models, units), do you also have some recommendations ?
I guess they have to sequentially follow those previously added as a patch, which have to be taken into account : for example, after King William's & Pontiac's War (very good work). Otherwise one risks to mess up the whole numbering system.
What do you think ?

Absolutely correct! The new models and units must start with the very next unused UID or CTD almost certain... no duplicates, no skipped numbers.

You'll need to reinstall your mod afer each patch, as for each patch we completely delete and replace the \Models and \Units in \GameData

...and don't forget to delete Models.Cached and Units.Cached, as the new additions won't "register" (these are compressed info, to speed game load. They get regenerated only when game load doesn't find them.)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Carilloneur
Conscript

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 am

Good good, crystal clear.
Thx !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “WIA Mods”