TiFlo
Captain

New unit graphics

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 pm

First, allow me to praise the developers of AGEOD who, from BoA onward, have managed to bring me into computer wargaming. And even wargaming at all.
I like military history, I like grand strategy as well as battlefield tactics, and more than everything, the theatres covered by the 3 first games AGEOD so masterfully pulled out.
I had always been scared off by the overwhelming complexity of rules, the blandness of the maps, as well as that of the unit markers, when not simply displayed as NATO symbols. That graphic problem is still all too often the mark of wargames.

Now, to each his own. And I fully understand that when it comes to those types of games, game mechanics are far more important. Yet, AGOED just proved that when one want, one can.

I play games to relax, and when in front of my computer, I need to enjoy what I'm staring at. Well, with AGEOD's maps, there it is. Every time I boot up a game, I found myself completely forgetting what's surrounding me, plunging into another era, running through wilderness, canoing down rapids and lakes, and making unfriendly woods my home for the time being.

For that, I can not thank you enough, both the team for your artistic choices, and the artists that did the maps and the units. You got me hooked!

That's why, in the pursuit of that graphic perfectness, I am humbly trying to make the units more flavoured, while sticking to strict historicity.

Here is what I propose, as an example. FIW British Highland regiments:

The original mesh displays a soldier than will only be seen during the AWI. In order to have one that looks closer to his comrades of fifteen years earlier, I made some changes.
He wears a kilt rather than trousers, as it was still the case during the FIW. I could have made him wear the full plaid though, but I chose to go for those soldiers on woodland warfare duty, ca. the "Pontiac War". The lighter kilt is completed by Indian leggings, as issued in some regiments. I also changed the Kilmarnock bonnet for the earlier Balmoral.

What do you think?

arsan

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 pm

I think it looks very good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep them coming!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:08 pm

+ on all your comments!! You get an "A" for effort!! Thanks. t

TiFlo
Captain

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Thank you guys, I appreciate :coeurs:

I'll make a package with those skins for those who'd like to download them.

In the meantime, here is a look of what I'd really like to be able to implement into the game: distinct French regiments for the FIW.

As of now, there is only one real Seven Years War era French Troupes de Terre unit into the game. The rest of them are all from the AWI and, while probably prettier, don't make for the lack of variety of the French army compared to the British one. Even though I believe they are used to visually show the difference between basic regular units and Grenadiers elite units, they just do not fit.

Now, this requires more than just replacing units' graphics, as it implies there is more models (see this post). So I'm only showing you what it could eventually become, but until I find a way to do it, they'll remain nice looking goodies.

From left to right:
- Blue cuffs(the untouched original texture): Royal Roussillon, Languedoc, La Sarre
- Red cuffs: La Reine, Guyenne, Béarn, Berry, Cambis
- Green cuffs: Volontaires Étrangers
- White cuffs (to be redone, it's horribly botched, now that I look at it): Bourgogne, Artois

Those who would like to help will get my never ending gratitude. At least for the two weeks Pocus said it would take to do :D

Carnium

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 pm

Simply amazing TiFlo :thumbsup:
Keep on the good work.

Primasprit

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Norbert

Bruit Bleu

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:09 am

Superbes ! :hat:

Bon courage avec la db ! :)
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

TiFlo
Captain

British Skinpack 1 released!

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks/Merci :)

Now, while I may not be able to get my French regiments into the game for some time, that doesn't mean you have to wait.

So here is a little treat for those of you who play as the Brits :D

The small units are the originals.

All four skins are included in the archive, and are fully working in game, as is. They'll replace the 3 British regular units skins used for the FIW scenarii (mind you, they are also used in the WIA scenarii), as well as the Highlander unit skin used for both the FIW and the AWI.

NOTE : I can't seem to get the 45th Rgt skin to display in the FIW scenarii. But it showed up in the AWI ones. So it IS fully working, I only need to figure out whether all 3 British regular skins are used in both wars scenarii (they are for the AWI), or if I'll have to make do with only two skins for the FIW (without having to add a new unit, as intended for the French army).

Before you install, make sure to backup the vanilla files in case you want to revert to the originals!

A readme.txt is included.

Enjoy ;)

In game screenshots
Image Image Image Image Image
Attachments
British Skinpack 1.zip
(166.24 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:22 am

Can you post some in-game screenshots? :)
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Jayavarman,

Will do. Later today or maybe tomorrow, depending on the time I have. But I'll definitely do it :)

TiFlo
Captain

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:20 am

In game screenshots added for the British Skinpack 1.

See three posts above :)

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:25 am

TiFlo wrote:Jayavarman,

Will do. Later today or maybe tomorrow, depending on the time I have. But I'll definitely do it :)

Very beautiful! :)
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

PANGI

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi, i must say that i like your uniform changes and hope for progress in french regimental colors. I made some uniforms for F&I wars too.

I hope you wont be offended if i place them here too.

State regiments:
Attachments
Unit_GBR_Colonial1.png
Unit_GBR_Colonial1.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
mdl_GBR_Colonial1.png
Army_GBR_Colonial1.png

PANGI

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Grenadiers:
Attachments
Unit_GBR_Grenadier1.png
Unit_GBR_Grenadier1.png (13.05 KiB) Viewed 8743 times
mdl_GBR_Grenadier1.png
Army_GBR_Grenadier1.png

PhilThib

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Nice looks :coeurs:

PANGI

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm

PANGI

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:55 am

french royal regiment:

Attachments
Unit_FRA_Infantry2.png
Unit_FRA_Infantry2.png (10.55 KiB) Viewed 8733 times
mdl_FRA_Infantry2.png
Army_FRA_Infantry2.png

PANGI

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:51 pm

im trying to improve AWI scenarios:

PhilThib

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:58 pm

Very nice once more...you have a talent for these :thumbsup:

PANGI

Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 am

Thanks again PhilThib :D

TiFlo, ive made some changes to your british (hope you're not offended) and like to know what you think?

The British i've made so far for F&I wars:

Matin
Private

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 pm

PANGI wrote:Thanks again PhilThib :D

TiFlo, ive made some changes to your british (hope you're not offended) and like to know what you think?

The British i've made so far for F&I wars:

looks nice...you should make a zip file, like TiFlo did..

PANGI

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Matin wrote:looks nice...you should make a zip file, like TiFlo did..

i will -> F&I wars graphic pack...till ill resolve spaniards, finish beta testing :D and recieve TiFlo's blessing (becouse of his units)

TiFlo
Captain

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:05 pm

I bless you PANGI, I bless you ;) :D

Seriously, those are great, please release them! :thumbsup:
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Return to “WIA Mods”