nevada73
Sergeant

1775 British Solo Campaign AAR

Sun May 26, 2013 6:35 am

BoA II
1775 British Campaign

Hello everyone just wanted to introduce and start an AAR for my first BoA game in well over a year. Been playing the AGEOD series of games for a few years and have enjoyed a few PBEM games with other players in the past. Finally got some time again to be an armchair general! I have AARed for other games by other developers and enjoy sharing my experiences. I will play the 1775 full campaign as the British and have a post for every turn. I admit I might be a bit rusty with the rules but I will have fun learning again as I go (and everyone getting a chance to see for themselves, lol). I will keep the commentary and graphics as simple and fun as I can. After I get my minimum 5 posts I will get the graphics up and running for every turn as well.

Turn 1
April 1775

As the newly appointed Commander in Chief (CinC) of the Americas, I have been ordered by the Crown to suppress a revolt by colonists who have taken up arms against not only our Soldiers but to those colonists who have stayed loyal to us. I am currently at sea with a reinforcing army sailing to Boston to link up with General Gage and our standing army in the Colonies. Apparently a rebel force of militia have surrounded General Gage in Boston and have the advantage of the high ground. General Gage has orders to defend Boston and not initiate any actions until my arrival. My plan is to arrive in Boston and build up combat power and with a formal council of war to decide upon our upcoming strategy. Governor General Sir Guy Carleton in Quebec has been given orders to prepare for the defense of Canada specifically Montreal and the surrounding areas. My dispatches are brief this turn as Admiral Howe has informed me that we are still at minimum 30 days of sailing away from the coast. Let us hope for good winds and calm seas. The war for control of the New World has begun.

Orders-
General Gage holds and defends Boston
Sir Guy Carleton holds at Quebec awaiting better weather to move by river to Montreal
Colonel Richard Prescott with the 26th Cameronians begins digging in outside Fort Chambly
A transport flotilla at Ft. Ticonderoga will moved out onto Lake Champlain since the fort is undefended and we fear a rebel takeover at any moment.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 am

Turn 2
May 1775

Alas we have encountered storms and our arrival in Boston has been delayed. I have spent the long hours with Admiral Howe and staff trying to make sense of our new area of operations but our maps seem to be outdated and we have little intelligence on enemy strengths and dispositions. Our wise King is under the assumption that a show of force with our well disciplined and trained Soldiers will be enough to quell this revolt. My only information is rumors at this point. I am assuming that Sir Carleton has begun his orders to defend Canada forward at Montreal. A few of my staff assure me that local native tribes will come to our aid and provide much needed reconnaissance in this theater and I hope it is true as we are concluding that given our weak position and troop strengths that the rebel forces may indeed attempt an invasion of Canada however crazy that might sound!(Caughnawaga Indians arm agains the Americans event) Already we fear the loss of Fort Ticonderoga on Lake Champlain. General Howe has informed me that the rebellion seems to be focused in the northern colonies. In the south we have much support with the population and our Governors(Georgia Tories rise in Augusta event). Ah my aide has finally arrived with a fresh cup of tea. With good fortune I will be stepping ashore in Boston soon!

Orders-
Sir Guy Carleton, 7th Royal Fusiliers, Supply unit embark to move by river to Montreal
Caughnawaga Indians move to reinforce Colonel Prescott at Fort Chambly.
Lake Champlain flotilla moves to Isle au Noix port.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 am

Turn 3
June 1775

It seems I am cursed to never get to my new command. Further weather delays have increased our time in these forsaken ships. The men and officers are getting restless for land fall soon. I continue my dispatches and on the advice of my staff have ordered additional supply trains to be sent from England and to be disembarked at Halifax post haste. Hopefully General Gage still holds Boston as ordered and General Carleton is strengthening the Canadian provinces. Last reports from London indicated that the Governor of Virginia, a one Lord Dunmore, would attempt to seize weapons and supplies in order to increase security in that colony. Let us hope he has succeeded. My journal is short tonight as I am a bit queasy and not feeling well having been on this ship for far to long. I am off to bed and hope for better weather.

Orders-
Lord Dunmore with command and ships heads to Norfolk.
Supply unit is purchased.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Turn 4
July 1775

Heavy storms and rough seas have caused damage to sails and masts on our flagship, the HMS London. Admiral Howe has ordered a halt even though we are but a few days sail from Halifax. This campaign could well end before it begins. On the good side a fast brig has arrived from Halifax with dispatches and news from the theater. General Gage with the main army is still defending Boston but reports his supply situation is deteriorating rapidly. General Carleton has arrived in Montreal and is assuming command of the defenses there. Our fears in Virginia have come to light as Lord Dunmore was forced to evacuate to Norfolk. Upon his arrival rebel militia attacked but he was able to hold and throw them back with no casualties. Reports indicate that our port in Savannah has been closed and rebel militia are forming(Gergia militias mobilized event). It seems earlier opinions of our southern colonies remaining loyal to the Crown were in error. Our current situation is as follows,

-General Gage with the main army in the colonies holds Boston with 3904 men, 80 horses, and 8 cannon, but faces a supply shortage from the rebel encirclement.
-General Carleton holds Montreal proper with 1085 men and 85 horses of the 7th Royal Fusiliers and the Montreal Militia. Colonel Prescott defends forward at Fort Chambly with the 661 men of the 26 Cameronians and a native war band.
-Lord Dunmore at Norfolk holds with 261 men consisting of a mixed group of sailors and militia.

My orders are defensive with no action to be undertaken.

Rebel propaganda leaflet of this so called "Boston Massacre".

News of treasonous activities in the south.

Lord Dunmore is attacked at Norfolk.

anjou
Lieutenant

Sun May 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Nice to see a WiA air!

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Turn 5
August 1775

We are in an ever precarious situation. It is now August and we have yet to make landfall. Taking a small staff, I have grabbed a fast frigate and am sailing with all speed to Boston where I will await the main force once the repairs to the ships are complete. General Gage is sending dispatches to me although his intentions seem more to pass responsibility then to keep me informed. The news from the colonies is not good. Rebel forces have gone on the offensive in western New York expelling Colonel Hamilton and the 8th King's Own Regiment out of Ft. Niagara with a mixed force of natives and irregular militia. Rebel forces are besieging native tribes at Painted Post and another rebel force seems to be moving on Ft. Oswego. We have little to stop them as our main forces are defending Montreal. Lord Dunmore was attacked again and promptly retreated handing Norfolk over to rebel militia forces despite receiving more militia troops! Also rumors of rebel atrocities against our loyal subjects in the deep south are of concern to me(terror in the deep south event).

Orders for the month of August

-Lord Dunmore will attempt to slip into Portsmouth near Norfolk and establish some type of defensive stance.
-Colonel Hamilton will retreat to Presquile on Lake Erie to defend against any rebel actions towards Ft. Detroit. Although rebels hold Tegynagurante province it seems they are unable to occupy Ft. Niagara without regular troops to garrison the fort.

The last Royal Governor of Virginia, John Murray 4th Earl of Dunmore

Who gave up Norfolk without a fight!

Rebel forces on the move in western New York

This rebellion seems to be getting personal and brutal.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Turn 6
September 1775

I have arrived in Boston and held council with General Gage. Our supply situation is not well and the rebel forces holding the heights opposite us seem to be growing. A one General Washington has assumed command of these rebel forces. I am advised that he fought for us during the Seven Years War and is a skilled combatant. I have my aide pacing the docks and to report the first sight of sails from the fleet but so far nothing. Lord Dunmore reports that on his own initiative and with reinforcements he has re captured Norfolk! I will keep my entry brief as I am invested with plans and attempt to feed our Soldiers here.

No orders for this turn as I still await the main army from England. The longest I have had to wait in this campaign. The initiative is with the enemy as of now. Should be interesting with such a long delay of the main force.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Turn 7
October 1775

A sigh of relief as our main fleet and troops have arrived in Boston harbor. I have held a council of war and my first official act is to relieve General Gage of command. Despite his years of service and knowledge of the theater his inactions have only fueled this rebellion and I feel we need new command as this is turning into more then a revolt by farmers and cobblers. General William Howe has assumed command of the main army and after deliberation my conclusion is that Boston is untenable as a base of operations for lack of supplies and freedom of maneuver. I am not yet ready to force a general action against the main rebel force opposite us. A more defensible supply base that can accommodate the army is the priority. News from New York colony as native tribes are attacked and Ft. Oswego has fallen. This might be good news as the native tribes in this region were content to remain neutral but rebel aggressiveness has now allied them to the Crown. Our Tories(a name given to colonial subjects who have wisely remained loyal to us) in the south have been attacked and the reports are of chaos and brutal actions along the South Carolina and Georgia frontiers. These colonists seemed bent on making this revolt very uncivilized.

My orders for the month are as follows-

-The main army and fleet will embark at Boston harbor leaving a token force to defend Boston. Our new destination will involve an amphibious landing and quick take over of the larger city and port at New York City.
-Admiral Drake with a small squadron will sail to Halifax and pick up much needed supply trains awaiting transport.
-Colonel Hamilton and Colonel Caldwell have been given orders to organize our new indian allies and attempt to retake Ft. Niagara with all available speed before the winter sets in.
-Southern loyalists will attempt to regroup at Ft. Ninety Six after defeats at Salisbury and Colleton regions.
-Royal Highland Emigrants militia with supply trains that formed at Quebec will move down river to link up with General Carleton at Montreal.

General William Howe, commander of the Army of the Americas

Daniel Morgan assaults and occupies Ft. Oswego on the shores of Lake Ontario

Attacks have allied the Mohawk and other native tribes to our cause.

Loyalist militia are savagely attacked in the south.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Turn 8
November 1775

Upon the fleets arrival outside New York city we encountered rebel transport boats. Admiral Howe quickly dispatched them with our far superior navy and won an easy victory. His handling of the fleet was excellent and I have sent word to England for an immediate promotion. However the action delayed General Howe on the assault of New York and I have once again ordered an immediate attack on the city with all speed. Colonel Hamilton sends word that our indian allies have gone to winter quarters and will be unavailable to assist us until spring. Although these irregular forces are useful their involvement will be limited. With the winter months upon us I can only hope for a quick occupation of New York so that we may improve our supplies and have a solid base of operations for the spring. Lord Dunmore reports he has proclaimed freedom for slaves in Virginia and has formed the
Royal Ethiopian Regiment at Norfolk. This slavery situation will be a cause of concern in the southern colonies as his actions have only outraged the colonists further. Colonel Prescott reports rebel irregulars are scouting his positions at Fort Chambly. A one Ethan Allen and his “Green Mountain Boys” have been identified as the enemy contingent. As a side note, General Burgoyne has left my war council and returned to England upon orders that he will take over a future force in the spring.

Orders for the month of November-

-Gen Howe will disembark and assault New York City with the main body.
-Admiral Drake will sail to New York with the much needed supply trains to link up with Gen Howe.
-Regular and elite replacements have begun training to replace future losses(8 and 13 engagements points respectively).
-Lord Dunmore with around 1200 troops will hold Norfolk
-Colonels Hamilton and Caldwell hold at Presquile with the 8th King's Own Regiment.
-General Carleton to remain in position in Montreal with around 1900 men and 128 horses and two supply trains

Our naval superiority in action

Colonial slaves join our cause.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Turn 9
December 1775

The assault on New York city is a success as we rout rebel militia and occupy coastal batteries in Manhattan. Our new base of operations is in need of improvement and a supply depot will be assembled as soon as the necessary equipment has arrived. To show our resolve and determination I have ordered the hanging of a rebel spy by the name of Nathan Hale who was caught in the city. Such treasonous acts will not be tolerated. Predictably rebel forces are besieging Boston now and one of our militia regiments attempting to sneak out of the city was spotted on Dorcester Heights and routed. The main rebel forces still seem to be around the Boston area and pose no threat to our main army at New York, at least for a month or two. Rebel militia probed Norfolk again but Lord Dunmore repulsed them. In the south reports have come that Loyalists took over Thickety Fort. However rebel troops have our garrison at Fort Ninety Six under siege and threw two more militia regiments out of the region.

My orders for the month of December-

Marshal Lord Richard Howe will sail with the main fleet to Halifax.
Southern Loyalist will attempt to retake Fort Ninety Six.

Our successful assault on New York City

We have publicly executed a rebel spy in New York

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Turn 10
January 1776

The winter has set in throughout the theater and will be a major issue for operations. Our troops are in winter quarters and have begun construction of a supply depot here in New York. A council of war was held last night with my commanders to discuss future plans. We are all in agreement that no major offensive actions will be taken in the near future due to weather and lack of forces. Our goal will be to consolidate our hold in New York City and preserve combat power. My staff has worked up a list of strategic locations and objectives along with casualty lists that we will update monthly. In a show of good faith I have issued a royal pardon to the colonists in an attempt to restore faith and loyalty in the Crown(royal pardon to the people action- 20 engagement points). In the south our Governor of Georgia, James Wright was arrested by rebel sympathizers but managed to escape by boat. The rebellion is spreading and our governors are losing control fast.

Enemy situation- The main enemy force is still believed to be in the vicinity of Boston although I expect some if not all of the force to show up opposite our main base at NYC soon to keep us pinned here. Rebel forces are also poised along the Mohawk River valley and Albany in upper New York. We determine further rebel forces might be in the vicinity of Philadelphia and near Richmond in Virginia. Scattered rebel forces are also thought to be all around the southern colonies. My intelligence officers expect no major rebel actions due to the hard winter conditions, at least in the northern areas.

My strategy- Capturing and holding NYC I feel was a priority for a number of reasons. Boston was untenable and a poor supply base while NYC has large harbors and population to support our Army. It sits at the end of the Hudson river and allows us to control the valley from the south end and to split the northern colonies from the middle and southern ones. From here once sufficient forces are at hand we may strike in a number of directions. We will hold NYC at all costs while awaiting additional forces from England. Once arrived my plan is to secure Canada and New York with offensives aimed at taking Albany and isolating the more rebellious northeast colonies from the rest of our possessions.

Orders for the month of January-

-The main army of around 6900 troops and 11 cannon entrench at New York City and begin building our supply depot.
-Our Tories in the south are ordered to move to Thickety Fort and stand on the defensive.

Current victory situation. Losses are about even. Our morale took a hit with the loss of Boston.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Turn 11
February 1776

It is quiet month here in the colonies. Our depot is complete and our troops have built sufficient defenses here in New York (entrench lvl 2). Our supply situation although much improved is not complete and I will keep the main army in garrison and behind our earthworks anticipating rebel forces to appear soon. Our Tory troops repulsed rebel militia at Fort Ninety Six while attempting a breakout. Two more Tory regiments are forming in North Carolina in the vicinity of Crooks Creek. Our land and naval forces are in winter quarters for the time being. A spy by the name of Robert Land has offered his services to us and I have agreed as intelligence on the enemy is poor.

I have issued no orders for this month. Our troops remain in quarters and on the defensive.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Turn 12
March 1776

The first of good news as a small fleet and army under the command of Lord Cornwallis has arrived off of Cape Fear in the Carolinas. His orders from London are to secure Charleston but I have diverted him to make a hasty assault on Wilmington first and secure the town and port. The enemy has remained quiet and the location of their main army is unknown at this time. We wait in the north for better weather and more troops.

Orders-
-Lord Cornwallis is ordered to “go in” at Wilmington and secure the town with a quick amphibious landing.
-More regular and elite replacements are approved from London (21 engagement points total)

Situation in the "Deep South". Tory Militias organize at Thickety Fort and Crook's Creek while Cornwallis will attack Wilmington.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 2:19 am

Turn 13
April 1776

Lord Cornwallis reports Wilmington is now under the control of British troops without a shot fired. A garrison will remain while Cornwallis will embark on the ships to resume the invasion plans of Charleston. Colonel Hamilton reports our native allies are at our disposable in the north. Colonel Clarke and a regiment of foot infantry have arrived at Halifax.

Orders for the month of April

-Lord Cornwallis will board the fleet and head for Charleston. Colonel Vaughn with one regiment of foot infantry will garrison Wilmington with the support of two regiments of militia coming from Crook's Creek.
-Two regiments of foot infantry are embarking in the West Indies with my orders to sail for Pensacola and report to Major General Frederick Haldimand.
-All available native tribes will link up with Colonel Hamilton and Colonel Caldwell at Presquile. Once assembled Colonel Hamilton will move on Fort Niagara.
-I have requested additional elite replacements from London(13 engagements points).

Major General Lord Charles Cornwallis, despite voting against the Stamp Act while a member of Parliament and supporting the colonies in previous years, he is loyal to King and Crown and will be of much assistance in suppressing the rebellion.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 2:51 am

Turn 14
May 1776

Our spy, Robert Land, has sent dispatches from Norwalk informing me that small rebel detachments are occupying Norwalk, Harford, and New Haven. Colonel Hamilton has assembled his forces for the attack on Ft. Niagara but is delaying his movements for another month due to bad weather in the area. Lord Cornwallis is set to come ashore at Charleston within the next month and take the city with a surprise assault. While moving to Wilmington loyal militia overran a rebel artillery contingent. 8 field cannons and 8 siege guns were captured! Lord Dunmore easily repulsed another half hearted rebel attempt to attack Norfolk.

My orders for the month of May-

Lord Cornwallis will land and assault Charleston in the South Carolina colony.
Loyal militia at Ft. Thickety, almost 800 strong, will move to reoccupy Ft. Ninety Six.
The Royal Greens, a Canadian militia regiment that formed in Quebec, will move by river transport to Montreal.
Additional elite replacements are requisitioned from England (13 engagement points).

Situation report near New York City

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 am

Turn 15
June 1776

Lord Cornwallis came ashore and after a brief assault has occupied Charleston capturing numerous coastal guns along with Fort Sullivan and a depot. General Haldimand has embarked on transports at Pensacola along with 3 regiments of foot infantry. Colonel Thomas Brown has formed irregulars and indian troops at St. Augustine. More significantly, General Burgoyne has arrived north of Halifax with his army and a small fleet of transports. His orders from the King are to sail for Canada, however he is now under my command and I have ordered him to change course and sail for New York instead. I want to unify the two main armies in theater. It seems the main rebel army has assembled at Norwalk in the Connecticut colony. Mr Land is supplying us with reliable reports to date. Colonel Hamilton is on the move along the shores Lake Erie with his mixed force of natives and regular troops, almost 2000 strong and is expected to attack at Ft. Niagara soon.

Orders for the month-

-Lord Cornwallis will rest and refit at Charleston
-Colonel Hamilton will attack Ft. Niagara
-General Haldimand will sail from Pensacola and attempt an amphibious landing and assault on Savannah with 3 regiments of foot infantry.
-Colonel Brown will move through the swamps of Florida to link up with Gen Haldimand at Savannah.
-Colonel Clarke and one regiment of foot infantry will board the Boyne squadron at Halifax and sail for New York.

The battle of Charleston.

Colonel Brown shows his loyalty and dedication to the cause.

General Burgoyne arrives in theater but his destination is not Canada.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 am

Turn 16
July 1776

Three battles occurred during the last 30 days. At Fort Niagara, Colonel Hamilton with his native troops and small force of regulars routed the defending rebel skirmishers. General Haldimand came ashore at Savannah and heavy fighting took places over the course of two days. Despite capturing coastal guns the rebel militia still hold the city proper. Also in the south a rebel force under command of William Crawford attacked our militia at Ft. Ninety Six forcing a retreat. Colonel John Butler has formed a group of light infantry at Montreal. Numerous militia regiments are formed in New York and placed under the command of Colonel Cortland Skinner. Most importantly the main army under Lt Gen Charles Lee has moved forward into Westchester opposite our main army in New York. Despite our strong defensive positions I have ordered Gen Howe and the main army to advance and engage the enemy in an all out attack. They are not yet set in the region and might be caught off balance. Gen Burgoyne and his fleet are already in the Lower Bay and will be in New York proper within the next few days so I am risking a general action early since there seems to be no supporting rebel troops to reinforce Lee's army and I have a second army to reinforce the main army in New York. It is time we take the field and show these rabble the bayonet!

Orders for the month-

General Howe with 8300 troops and 12 cannons will move to engage the main rebel army at Westchester.
General Haldiman despite losses will once again assault Savannah. Gen Brown is ordered to support with his irregulars.
General Cornwallis continues to regroup at Charleston.
Fort Ninety Six garrison retreats to Ft. Thickety.
Colonel Butler with his irregulars will move south to Winooski to observe enemy activity at Ft. Ticonderoga
Colonel Hamilton will hold at Ft Niagara to restore order and loyalty in the region.
Elite replacements are requested(13 engagement points).

1st Battle of Savannah

2nd Battle of Savannah

Battle of Fort Niagara

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 5:51 am

Turn 17
August 1776

General Howe moved forward into Westchester but General Lee avoided contact and retreated into the Peekskill hills north and not back into Connecticut. General Burgoyne is in New York with his army. Gen Haldimand attacked and finally occupied Savannah. We now have all of the major southern ports under our command. Although I did not plan for any major offensive actions this year the appearance of the main rebel force close to New York has presented an opportunity. The main rebel army is now in the Hudson Valley and separated from smaller forces in New England by Howe's army in Danbury. I plan to continue the offensive with two major field armies in the region. Colonel Hamilton reports Fort Niagara is under military control and will move overland with his attack force to assault Fort Oswego. I plan to consolidate and defend our ports in the south for the time being. Colonel Butler reports a strong garrison at Fort Ticonderoga. Another surprise amphibious landing awaits the rebels next turn.

Orders for the month are as follows-

General Howe will advance into Connecticut to Hartford via Norwalk engaging and hopefully destroying the small rebel forces in both locations. General Burgoyne will follow and set up a blocking force at Norwalk. Colonel Skinner with his militia force will stand at New York to perhaps bait the main rebel force to attack. We will have isolated the rebel army in the Hudson Valley and force them to retreat to Albany or risk either attacking New York or the two main armies in Connecticut.
General Haldiman is resting his troops at Savannah
Colonel Hamilton moves to assault Fort Oswego.
General Cornwallis embarks at Charleston with 3 regiments of foot infantry, Royal Marines, artillery, and supply trains and sails to land and assault...Philadelphia! Although a small force since regiments have been detached to guard Wilmington and Charleston, a surprise attack and occupation of Philly could well do much to damage rebel morale and give us another base of operations. I trust the good General and his abilities. The offensive spirit has invested my forces this month, let us hope it pays off.
Colonel Brown and his raiders move to the swamps northwest of Charleston to set up an ambush of any rebel force moving on our southern capital.

Situation and plan of action north of NYC

Colonel Hamilton moves on Fort Oswego this month.

General Cornwallis leads a small bold force to attack Philadelphia.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 6:52 am

Turn 18
September 1776

We have met the enemy for the first major engagement of this conflict. General Howe advanced into Norwalk and engaged General Nathaniel Greene and a small rebel army getting the better of him by the end of the day. The next morning while rousing the army to continue the advance on Hartford, scouts from the 17th Light Dragoons reported enemy formations arriving from the west. General Lee had marched his army to support the sounds of the guns from the day before. An all day battle ensued on the plains of Woodbury and we forced General Lee to retreat back the way he came inflicting almost 2 to 1 casualties. General Burgoyne arrived in support and our troops fought bravely. At Fort Oswego our Indian allies assaulted the fort but were repulsed with heavy losses. While leading our brave native fighters over the ramparts, Colonel Caldwell was hit multiple times from musket fire. Colonel Hamilton reports he died later in the day from his wounds. I have congratulated Colonel Hamilton and our native Indian leader, Joseph Brandt for their actions despite the defeat. Once again General Cornwallis proves his skill at amphibious operations landing near Philadelphia and forcing the rebel defenders to retreat. The capital of the rebel insurrection is ours! Lord Dunmore repulsed another attack on Norfolk although this rebel force was ably led by a one William Campbell and losses were about even.

My orders for the month of September-

The main plan remains in effect. General Howe with 8900 troops and 22 cannon will advance to Springfield via Hartford once again attempting to destroy the small rebel forces in his way. Gen. Burgoyne with 3600 men and 8 cannon will hold at Norwalk to block General Lee from reentering the New England colonies and to support New York.
Colonel Hamilton is besieging Fort Oswego while his troops rest and refit after the failed assault.
Gen. Cornwallis holds at Philadelphia while Colonel Vaughn with the strong 70th Regiment of Foot and the captured siege guns is en route from Wilmington.

1st Battle of Norwalk. We push Gen Greene out of the region.

2nd Battle of Norwalk. General Lee appears and we throw him back into the Peekskills.

Assault of Fort Oswego- We mourn the loss of Colonel Caldwell.

Battle of Philadelphia. The rebel capital is occupied.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 am

Turn 19
October 1776

General Howe advanced into Springfield destroying a small force of rebel regulars at Hartford along the way. The other small force under Gen Washington retreated and swung around the flank to retake Hartford. The main rebel army under Gen Lee moved through Albany and is now at Battleboro. Colonel Hamilton reports rebel reinforcements have arrived at Fort Oswego and the odds of taking the fort before our native troops go to winter quarters is negligible. A rebel force appeared near Philadelphia and General Cornwallis is preparing to attack with the arrival of Colonel Vaughn and his regiment and heavy artillery. Colonel Oliver Delancey, a loyal colonist, has raised a regiment of Pennsylvania militia south of Philadelphia. And to make my month, we have received two full armies at New York. The first is under General Leslie and has a large contingent of Hessian troops. The second is under the able command of General Sir Charles Grey, an aggressive and fast commander that I will most sorely need in the future.

Orders for the month follows-

-General Howe will fall back to New York City attacking rebel forces in Harford. General Burgoyne will also fall back to New York as winter approaches and the main rebel army is to far north to effect a major battle this late in the year.
-General Cornwallis will attack enemy forces moving on Philadelphia.
-Colonel Hamilton has been ordered back to defend Ft. Niagara.
-Colonel Delancey and his loyalist militia will move on Trenton to secure winter quarters.
-All other commands to hold their positions.

General Howe destroys a rebel force at Hartford

Hessian troops arrive at New York

Sir Charles Grey arrives at New York with another army.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Turn 20
November 1776

The enemy forces have refused battle as General Howe marches back to our base at NYC. This General Washington is a crafty opponent and will not give to fight that easily. The main army is still on the march and will arrive back in a few days. General Burgoyne has arrived with his army and now I can finally begin to feel confident about our strength here in this conflict. General Cornwallis has secured Philadelphia again as the rebels there refused to fight as well. It seems the weather and time of year will dictate our time in the field. This continent has little in the way of comforts. Cold winters, harsh weather, primitive roads, and lack of cleared open fields will make bringing our superior numbers and training a difficult proposition. I feel a general truce hangs in the air as first signs of snow and cold is both our enemies now. We will not rest quietly as yet much work to be accomplished.

Orders go out to my commands are as follows-

-The main army will consolidate at NYC
-General Cornwallis with his small force will begin construction of a supply base in Philadelphia.
-A small transport squadron has been ordered to pick up a small Hessian regiment that has arrived at St. Augustine.
-Colonel Conrad Schmidt, an able Hessian training officer, has begun a rigorous training program here in NYC for our loyal colonial militia regiments.
-A small force under Colonel Clarke consisting of the 44th Foot Regiment, a company of 65th Light Infantry, and the 47th Foot Regiment (800 men total)will secure Perth Amboy. The good colonel will secure the road and towns between NCY and Philadelphia to improve our supply and facilitate movements of men and wagons as needed.
-My valuable spy Robert Land, is moving to Peekskill to observe rebel movements in the Hudson Valley. I have the main rebel army encamped at Albany for the winter according to reports.
-All other commands to hold positions.

Major General Sir Charles Grey, veteran of the Seven Year's War in Europe, is ready for duty in the Americas

So called "Independence Hall" in Philadelphia, now under British control.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Turn 21
December 1776

All has gone well the last 30 days. The main army is encamped at New York and the northern front has settled into winter quarters. The main rebel army has appeared at West Point although we believe any further actions by the rebels to be foolish and will not worry. In the south with better weather year around, it appears the war will not quiet down. Colonel Brown set an ambush in the swamps near Charleston and a rebel force stumbled upon them. Although they manage to set their artillery battery and cause more casualties, the enemy retreated and Colonel Brown fulfilled his mission to cover Charleston. Another rebel force under Colonel Moultrie attempted an attack at Savannah but with the coastal guns at our disposable we inflicted good casualties although the enemy is still in the field. However Brig General Lord Francis Rawdon has arrived in Savannah with a southern army and General Haldimand is planning an all out attack on the enemy forces now while holding superior numbers. Another force of enemy has been spotted at Philadelphia. There intention are unknown as they avoided battle last time. They may be trying to sneak past our pickets and link up with the main army at West Point. Regardless General Cornwallis is attacking to force them out of the region.

Orders follow-

-General Haldimand attacks at Savannah
-General Cornwallis attacks at Philly
-Hessian force at St. Augustine will move to support Southern Army at Savannah

A list of my commanders and commands throughout the theater-

General Howe and the main army, almost 30,000 troops and 97 cannon is at New York City
General Cornwallis with close to 2400 men and 31 cannon at Philadelphia.
Colonel Clarke with 800 men controlling Perth Amboy in New Jersey colony.
General Carleton at Montreal with around 3000 troops.
Colonel Prescott with small force, 500, at Fort Chambly.
Colonel Hamilton with almost 1000 men (mostly native warriors) at Ft. Niagara.
Lord Dunmore at Norfolk with 2000 effectives.
Two militia regiments (almost 1300 men) at Wilmington
Three militia regiments ( 900 men) at Thickety Fort
Colonel Jones holds Charleston with 1600 regulars and a large coastal battery (80 guns)
Colonel Brown with his raiding force of 500 men at Orange Swamp
General Haldimand and General Rawdon with the Southern Army of 3600 troops and 50 guns (mostly static coastal guns) are in Savannah.

The north front as of December, 1776. General Washington holds a strong force at Hartford as well.

Southern front. We hold the major ports while the rebels control the interior.

This treasonous rebel is appealing to our old enemy France for assistance. They are desperate.

We have inflicted almost 2 to 1 in casualties and hold the majority of objectives. But our enemy controls the majority of the strategic towns and has a lead in victory points because of it.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Turn 22
January 1776

General Cornwallis reports success in Philly nearly annihilating a force of rebel light infantry in the region. The rebels in Savannah were more wise and promptly retreated before our much superior force. Two regiments of infantry have arrived in Halifax and will hold as I slowly build up an army there for future operations. All else is quiet in the theater. I have instituted a change of command in the north. Gen Clinton will ride for Philadelphia and take over command of the defenses there. My reliable commander, Gen Cornwallis, will sail with the siege guns to New York. My intent and plan for the spring and summer is to lead a two pronged attack and force a major engagement with the main rebel force, now believed to be in Albany. General Cornwallis will lead the main army up the Hudson valley while General Grey leads another army on the right flank clearing out Connecticut and taking up a blocking position near Brattleboro. The end objective is to trap the main rebel army in Albany and destroy them outright or force them to retreat further north, away from the main colonies and into the wilderness. Speed and surprise are essential and these two generals will fulfill that purpose. The key is the main rebel army staying in Albany or along the Hudson river valley during the winter which I am confident it will. General Howe will command the defenses at New York and support either advance as needed. I have decided against sending any forces into Canada to drive either through Ft. Ticonderoga or Ft. Oswego as the logistical problems are difficult for a large force in these regions. Pinning the main rebel army and forcing them out of Albany and either west along the Mohawk river or north to Lake Champlain will ensure their destruction. So I will keep the avenues here open and not induce a rebel move back into New England. In the south, General Haldimand will march to Augusta next month while giving General Rawdon time to train up the British legion in Savannah this turn. The intent to clear out Georgia and take the important town of Augusta along the Savannah river thus forcing rebel forces north to Camden. All other commands hold this turn.

General Cornwallis bloodies General Wayne at Philadelphia

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon May 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Turn 23
February 1776

A force of rebel regulars (according to rumors they have labeled themselves “continentals”) engaged our militia at Wilmington and a stalemate resulted. General Clinton has assumed command at Philadelphia and I have personally welcomed General Cornwallis here at New York City. An interesting development has occurred. Colonel James Robertson sailed from England not to long ago with two regiments of foot. Apparently the ships and himself had no idea of the main armies whereabouts and they promptly landed in Boston harbor. Colonel Robertson marched right into town with his two regiments. I do not know who was more surprised, the population for seeing our troops once again in control of Boston or Colonel Robertson realizing he was all alone. Despite the confusion he reports Boston is under British control and requests immediate support. Although not a part of my plan the seizure of Boston is good news. I have altered the plan accordingly, dispatching MG Leslie with a force of 1 regiment of light infantry and 3 regiments of foot along with a battery of guns to help Robertson hold Boston. To keep rebel forces pinned, I ordered Gen Grey to sortie immediately with his command to Norwalk as there is a rebel army in Harford that could move on Boston quickly. Gen Grey with about 3000 men and 16 cannon will fix this force at Hartford for the time being. I ordered Gen Howe to improve the depot here in New York City as the the sheer amount of troops is starting to overwhelm the quartermasters and their warehouses.

Orders are as follows-

Gen Leslie with his command sailing for Boston
Gen Grey with his command moving to Norwalk
One regiment of provincial volunteers is moving to Morristown
Two regiments of provincial volunteers moving to Philly to strengthen Gen Clinton's command
Colonel Clarke is moving to Princeton

nevada73
Sergeant

Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 am

Turn 24
March 1776

The rebel army at Hartford held their position as Gen Grey demonstrated at Norwalk. Gen Leslie is a few days sail from Boston. Another brief skirmish at Wilmington but our militia held firm. Our Parliament back home has lobbied for a coalition in Europe to bring some sense to the French in getting involved here and it has worked, for the time being. All things considered it has been a quiet month as we prepare for the spring and summer campaign. Lord Dunmore was recalled to England to face question concerning is action to free slaves, which only inflamed this revolution more. Colonels Tarleton and Watson have formed some irregular formations in the south to assist with quelling the revolt there.

Orders-

-Gen Grey will move back and set up a forward position at Danbury.
-Gen Rawdon has begun his expedition to Augusta with roughly 2300 men and 16 cannon. Colonel Brown with his raiding party is moving up the Charleston road into Orangeburg to recon enemy positions for Gen Rawdon.
-Gen Haldimand is taking some regiments to Charleston via naval transport.
-Virginia volunteer militia are scouting out of Norfolk to Portsmouth.

Brigadier General Lord Francis Rawdon, Commander of the Southern Army

The charismatic, reckless, and hot headed Colonel Banastre Tarleton

nevada73
Sergeant

Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 am

Turn 25
April 1777

A standoff has occurred in Boston with General Leslie facing down General Greene and a slightly superior force. Benjamin Lincoln with what appears is the main rebel army has surfaced at Kingston in the Hudson Valley. General Washington also has a sizable force at Hartford. The enemy has 3 separate armies (other smaller detachments have been spotted in the region also) that are not within supporting distance of each other. My only concern is still the weather and ground which is still not suitable for large scale operations here. The southern plan is going according to the timetable. with a few adjustments as the situation and enemy locations/intentions become clear.

Orders for the month-

General Leslie will stand on the defensive in Boston to pin General Greene. I am confident if attacked he can hold. I have ordered Admiral Parker with half of the fleet off the coast in case the situation warrants a withdrawal. Boston is important but not a priority.
General Grey will make a fast assault on Ft. Independence/Fishkill as intelligence indicates a small garrison in the fort along with supply trains. This is also the jumping off point for my Hudson river advance and will force Gen Lincoln to hold in the Hudson to protect Albany.
General Rawdon will assault Augusta. He does not expect much resistance.
Colonel Brown will infiltrate the interior with the objective being Ft. Ninety Six. Our scouts say the region is undefended. Loyalist Militia and a Catawba Warband is moving to that region from Thickety Fort as well.
General Haldimand with Colonel Watson's irregulars and 3 regiments of foot and a supply train is heading for Wilmington to improve our control in the region after the few skirmishes there.

Gen Leslie holds Boston against Gen Greene. General Grey attacks Ft. Independence

Gen Rawdon will take Augusta and Col Brown will move on Ft. Ninety Six in the south

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Turn 26
May 1777

The Battle of Ft. Independence was in our favor and General Grey reports the region is under our control. Despite the terrain and snows our men went in splendidly. The 7th Royal Artillery conducted an accurate bombardment with the Royal Marines, 34th Foot, 23rd Welsh Fusiliers going over the top of the ramparts and routing the enemy after 3 days of relentless assaults. We even captured the enemies supply trains. They did manage to sabotage the fort before the straggling survivors fled but we inflicted heavy casualties on the enemy. The rebels insistence on holding every town and fort with small detachments is costing them dearly and their strength is slowly draining. In the south Gen Rawdon has secured Augusta and Colonel Brown has Ft. Ninety Six back under British control. The rebels have reinforced their army at Boston and General Leslie is getting nervous but holding the defensive and keeping the enemy pinned as planned. Colonel Clarke, tasked with securing the New York-Philadelphia road, has encountered rebel militia holding in Trenton and has begun a siege of the town.

Order for May 1777 follows-

General Grey will hold at Fishkill to regroup
General von Reisdel will reinforce Gen Grey with additional regiments
General Cornwallis will take his Corps and assault New Haven. The idea to keep the rebels guessing as to his intentions this month while Gen Grey regroups for the move north. (A direct assault on Hartford will give the impression of the two prong assault on Albany while attacking New Haven gives the indication he is perhaps moving to relieve Boston.
Gen Clinton attacks a small force appearing in Philadelphia while Col Delancey takes a small force to take Reading.
Gen Rawdon will hold at Augusta. Col Brown holds at Ft. Ninety Six. Col Tarleton will slip into Orangeburg while Col Watson moves with militia to Crooks Creek in the south.
Gen Haldimand attempts an amphibious attack at Petersburg near Norfolk.
Various native tribes will assemble at Ft. Niagara

First Battle of Fishkill

Second Battle of Fishkill

Colonel Delancey attacks Reading

Gen. Haldimand attacks Petersburg

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:19 am

Turn 27
June 1777

Last month I once again issued a royal pardon to the people. We must hope to sway the loyalty of the colonists to our side and amnesty may well be the only way. There was much fighting the last 30 days. The rebels attacked in Boston and as General Leslie reported “It was very much in doubt for most of the day.” However the discipline and accuracy of our cannon and muskets prevailed. The rebels even attempted a close assault of our breastworks but our bayonets inflicted heavy casualties.

Lord Cornwallis assaults New Haven and destroys the enemy militia and capturing much needed supply trains.

General Haldimand aborted his landing at Petersburg and will attack Williamsburg in order to threaten Richmond and force the rebel force at Petersburg to act. General Grey will cross the Hudson with his reinforced Corps and attack West Point and then move on Kingston. General Cornwallis will move on Springfield via Hartford. General Leslie will hold in Boston. Adm Parker's squadron will move from Boston to Buzzard Bay and blockade a suspected rebel naval force in port at Providence. Colonel Clarke will assault the enemy militia at Trenton. General Rawdon will fast march to Camden with Colonel Tarleton screening. Colonel Hamilton will move from Ft.. Niagara with his native force to Oswego but will not attack and attempt to besiege the enemy their.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 am

Turn 28
July 1777

a lot of actions taking place as the summer campaigns are in full swing throughout the colonies. I have ridden to Springfield to congratulate Lord Cornwallis and to deliver the news of his upcoming promotion. Sad news from General Clinton however as Colonel Carke is reported to have been killed during the assault on Trenton. Although the town is now ours the lost of this promising officer saddens my heart.

Colonel Clarke lost his life but Trenton is ours.

Elsewhere General Grey occupied West Point and General Cornwallis destroyed enemy forces at Springfield. General Haldimand is besieging enemy forces at Williamsburg. The enemy has retreated from Boston and occupying Dorcester Heights with a sizable force. My plan still is in effect. General Grey will move up the left bank of the Hudson River attacking an enemy force at Kingston. I have dispatched Baron Kynphausen to move up the right bank with a force of around 1500 men and 8 cannon to occupy Hoseck as a blocking force. Gen Cornwallis will hold here at Springfield to reorganize and block any enemy forces coming from the New England regions. Colonel Wirback with a Hessian force will move from New York and occupy Hartford to our south. General Leslie will hold at Boston. Near Philadelphia, Col. Delancey will move on Lancaster. Gen Clinton is sending out small detachments to occupy the towns and settlements between himself and New York. With the area secure we can begin the occupation and subjugation of the local populaces. Additional forces are being moved by sea to reinforce Gen Haldimand in Virginia. In the south, Colonel Brown will move to Augusta while fresh reinforcements under Colonel Pattison moves on Orangeburg with Colonel Tarleton to link up there. Gen Rawdon holds in Camden.

Orders for the north

Orders for the south

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Turn 29
August 1777

I am pleased to report the promotion of Lord Cornwallis to Commander in Chief as we hold Springfield over the month. Our empty supply wagons have departed to New York with Colonel Matthews and 4 regiments of infantry to support. General Howe has sent supply wagons in response. General Grey once again won a victory at Kingston and I am rewarding his efforts with a promotion as well as I hold all commands this month to ready for the final assault on Albany. Baron Knyphausen is holding Hoseck blocking their escape to the east with General Cornwallis here in Springfield to block forces coming from the west.

General Grey attacks at Kingston as our infantry form square and defeat rebel cavalry!

Colonel Hamilton beats back a rebel relief force at Oswego

Situation and orders for the north front August 1777

General Clinton is consolidating our holds in the Philadelphia area while Colonel Vaughn has embarked with 4 Regiments and artillery to land and occupy Newport Island.

Admiral Parker defeats enemy frigates and transports at Buzzard Bay. Admiral Howe is moving to relief his force while Adm. Parker heads to port to resupply

General Haldimand will assault Richmond, a defensible position in Virginia with rivers on the north and south borders.

In the south General Rawdon will hold in Camden while we adjust positions. Colonel Brown will go after enemy forces in the interior. Another small force landing at Charleston under Von Loos will move to Georgetown to secure the southern exit of the Santee River. A small rebel force sneaked into Wilmington and took over the port. Colonel Watson is moving to reoccupy.

Small unit actions in the south.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America AARs”