nevada73
Sergeant

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 am

Turn 30
September 1777

Without further delay I have ordered the assault and occupation of Albany this month. Newly promoted Marshal Grey will attack from Kingston with Baron Knyphausen's Corps in support from Hoseck. Lord Cornwallis will clear Brattleboro then move on Albany as well thus concentrating the two armies in the region to regroup. Colonel Hamilton will assault Fort Oswego. Colonel Matthews with a small force will move from New York to clear West Point of a small force that occupied the region. Colonel Vaughn landed and occupied Newport. General Leslie holds Boston against rebel forces at Dorcester and Bunker Hill.

Colonel Vaughn takes Newport Island

The assault of Albany

General Haldimand secured Richmond and will hold the town. I have brought up Colonel Stirling from the south front to take over the forces in the Norfolk area.

Sir Frederick Haldimand

In the south, von Loos will attack Georgetown on the Santee River. Colonel Specht will take his Fusilier Regiment and begin moving on Charlotte while Colonel Jones rides from Charleston to assist General Rawdon in Camden with the main southern army. Colonel Brown harassed Colonel Crawfords South Carolina militia last month and will continue to do so with his irregulars and native warbands this month. Colonel Watson secured Wilmington.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Turn 31
October 1777

Actions last 30 days-

The Battle of Albany was a tough fight and Marshal Grey's corps was repulsed after hard fighting and heavy casualties. But myself and Lord Cornwallis arrived to a depleted and tired rebel army that promptly retreated up the Mohawk river valley. We cleared Brattleboro and even captured rebel cannon and supply wagons.

Lord Cornwallis takes Brattleboro on the way to Albany

Marshal Grey assaults Albany the first battle

Marshal Grey with Baron Kynphausen in support in the second battle of Albany

Colonel Hamilton secured Ft. Oswego and captured enemy supply wagons.

Colonel Mirbach forced the surrender of enemy troops at Hartford securing the town.

Colonel Brown continued his hit and run tactics destroying enemy militia in the southern backwoods of Congaree near Winsborough.

Admiral Howe destroys an enemy frigate squadron attempting to sneak through Buzzard Bay

Orders for the next 30 days-

Despite the protests of General Carleton I have decided to promote Colonel Hamilton for his actions at Ft. Oswego(loss of 18 VP). I am moving some unused bateux transports to that region and use them to construct a depot for supplying the Mohawk valley. Lord Cornwallis will take an infantry force leaving behind cannon and supply trains to pursue the enemy into the Mohawk region and finish them off. Their supplies and ammo we suspect are low. They are caught between Albany and Ft. Oswego with winter months approaching. General Burgoyne will assume the occupation of Albany and begin construction of a supply base here as well. General Grey is marching his tired and depleted corps back to New York. General Howe has embarked with his army there and is heading to Boston to relieve General Leslie who is moving on a weak force at Dorcester Heights to secure the depot and fort located there. The enemy has a strong force at Bunker Hill and another at Providence. Near Philadelphia, Colonel Delancey is attacking York. Not many orders for the south. I have redirected Colonel Specht from Charlotte to Cheraw where enemy transport boats have been spotted. Securing them will limit enemy movements and give our forces more options with them. All other commands are holding positions this month.

nevada73
Sergeant

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:41 am

Turn 32
November 1777

Actions last 30 days-

Lord Cornwallis engaged Gen Gates' rebel force at Mohawk. The rebels heavily outnumbered our forces and stood their ground. Given their situation they have no other alternative. Our supply base is complete at Albany to assist with resupply and replacements their. General Leslie moved on Dorcester heights but a large force from Providence arrived just in time and a sharp battle took place. Suddenly outnumbered General Leslie promptly withdrew to Boston as General Howe's army arrived from New York. Colonel Delancey was repulsed at York, the rebel “capital” and withdrew back across the Susqehena River.

Battle of Fort Dayton

General Leslie is repulsed at Dorcester Heights

Orders for the month of November

Lord Cornwallis will commence another all out attack in Mohawk region. General Hamilton will move on Ft. Stanwix. General Howe is commencing an assault on Dorcester Heights with a force of around 5500 men and 48 cannons. Despite the cold and terrain I feel we must attack now to keep the rebels on their heels. Colonel Delancey has changed direction and is going after a rebel supply train in Northumberland region on the way to securing Wyoming region. General Haldimand will hold in Richmond as I am planning on sending reinforcements to the region over the next couple of months. Small unit actions seem to be the norm in the southern colonies. Colonel Brown is moving to secure Charlotte and Colonel Tarleton will chase the remainder of Colonel Crawford's militia and end up securing Beaufort. The newly captured bateuxs in Cheraw are moving to the Santee and eventually up to Camden where we can use them to build a supply base in the interior of the south.

Situation and orders for November 1777

Situation and orders for November 1777 in the south

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

Enjoy this very much. Makes me want to try this complex war.

nevada73
Sergeant

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Turn 32
December 1777

Actions last 30 days-

Lord Cornwallis continued his attacks at Fort Dayton but eventually withdrew against superior forces and cannons. The rebel force is strong and well entrenched but is also isolated.

General Howe slowly moved on the heights at Dorcester and ran into a screening force. A battle erupted in the snows and our superior numbers told as we routed the enemy off the heights capturing the fort and depot. The main enemy army escaped to Providence.

Colonel Tarleton finished off Colonel Crawford's depleted force in the south.

Rebel partisans moved and forced our garrison at Norfolk to retreat.

Orders next 30 days-

All major commands in the north will hold position and regroup and resupply with only minor movements considered with the harsh weather upon us. A force under Colonel Tyron will attack Charlottesville from Richmond.

1777 in Review-

My main campaign to occupy Albany succeeded although we failed to destroy the enemy forces in the Hudson river valley. I am quite pleased however in that we have the rebels separated without support and we control the interior lines. All major ports and cities in the north are under our command. With the New York-Albany-Boston triangle well secured and with strong forces in each location we hold the initiative and can deal with the 3 main enemy forces at our discretion. Philadelphia area is well controlled with no major enemy forces. We hold Richmond and Norfolk in the Virginia colony with support on the way. The southern colonies are held with only small enemy detachments harassing us. My commands will rest and refit with only minor changes upcoming. The main fleet will make port at Halifax for the winter. Our greatest concern now is the possibility of the French coming to aid the rebels(89 percent) sometime in the spring are summer. Defeat of the remaining main enemy forces is my priority. Although the French army is a concern I am more worried about the French Navy as so far we have enjoyed complete naval dominance which has given us more freedom of maneuver. The upcoming year will be decisive as we strive to finish off the main rebel forces in the north, secure the southern ports more thoroughly as I have only small garrisons in Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington. Complete control of Virginia will split the theater in two as well. Our men have performed bravely and splendidly this past year. Let us move forward to victory!

Main enemy armies in German Flats(Mohawk region), Providence, and Bunker Hill

Philadelphia is well secured with small enemy forces to the south

Colonel Tyron will secure Charlottesville and Colonel Stirling retakes Norfolk this month

Southern army camps at Camden. Strengthening the port garrisons will be a priority this year.

Slowly we have gained controlled of objectives and strategic towns. Enemy casualties are over 2 to 1 compared to ours.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 am

Turn 33
January 1778

Actions last 30 days-

General Gates and the enemy army at German Flats moved to relieve Ft. Stanwix forcing General Hamilton back towards Ft. Oswego but not before we gave them a bloody nose.

Colonel Tyron attempted to take Charlottesville but a stalemate ensued. He is holding his position this month while more troops are moved into Richmond.

Colonel Sterling retook Norfolk

Orders next 30 days-

I am keeping almost all commands static this month. Colonel Hamilton will move back to defend the depot at Ft. Oswego. The captured bateuxs in the south have arrived at Camden and work has begun to construct a supply base there. I have ordered General Rawdon to begin moving to certain regions to train our militias up while they are in winter quarters.

After much correspondence I have gotten the Crown to offer concessions to France which will buy us some more time before their inevitable intervention here (-5 FE, current FE is 93). A quiet month last month and hopefully quiet the next 30 days while our armies rest and regroup.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 am

Turn 34
February 1778

Actions last 30 days-

Engagements were confined to the Virginia colony. Colonel Tyron was forced out of Charlottesville after a brief skirmish but reinforcements have arrived in Richmond. Our depot is complete at Camden as we moved two artillery batteries out of the region on the way to be transported to the northern front. General Rawdon arrived at Ft. Ninety Six to begin training the militia regiment their. General Hamilton is still retreating to Ft. Oswego through difficult terrain and atrocious weather. Colonel Marsh arrived in Boston from the mainland with a regiment of regulars and militia. Most importantly, I have received word that the French will now openly aid these rebels. I fear our old adversary will be upon us this year.

Orders next 30 days-

General Haldimand will take a strong force of regulars to clear out Charlottesville this month. All other orders are administrative as we continue to rest and refit and ready for the coming spring and summer.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Turn 35
March 1778

Actions last 30 days-

General Haldimand cleared out enemy forces in Richmond and then occupied Charlottesville. No other engagements were reported. A large army under General Ward seems to be on the move in New England and is spotted in Norwich region near Hartford and Springfield. A highlander regiment has arrived at Halifax. I now have 3 regiments their forming a reserve force.

Orders for the next 30 days-

I have sent out dispatches to all commands commencing this years offensives. With the French now involved and their arrival uncertain, I feel the time to act is now although I would have preferred another month or two for resting and resupply.

Lord Cornwallis with 3000 men and 26 cannon will move on and assault German flats to keep the pressure on the isolated rebel army now at Ft. Stanwix (estimate around 4000 men with 20-40 cannon).
Marshal Grey, his army having received replacements and is at full strength, with 7800 men and 16 cannon, will move to Hartford and link up with Colonel Mirbach's command(1800 men). His orders are to engage and defeat the rebel army under General Ward.
General Howe with 1800 men and 12 cannon will hold Dorcester Heights while General Leslie with 1500 men and 15 cannon will move on Worcester where a enemy force is defending the town. Colonel Marsh is moving from Boston with around 1000 men to reinforce General Howe.
Colonel Vaughn is moving out of Newport leaving one regiment to hold the region. Colonel Vaughn will take Providence with 1500 men and 16 cannon
Colonel Matthew will move from West Point and secure Peekskill region with 1200 men.
General Clinton will hold Philadelphia

Cornwallis assaults German Flats while Marshal Grey moves to engage the enemy in Connecticut colony.

In the south most commands will hold their positions while Colonel Brown holds Charlotte awaiting native tribes that are moving to his location. Minor movements as I reinforce the south ports. Two artillery regiments are moving by naval transport from the south to New York.

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Turn 36
April 1778

Actions last 30 days-

Lord Cornwallis went in at German Flats destroying the enemy force there. All other commands accomplished their objectives.

Orders next 30 days-

I have ordered Cornwallis to attack the force at Ft. Stanwix. The terrain and rain will make for a difficult time but I want the pressure put on this force. The various native tribes are moving along with General Hamilton and his force to Oneida region surrounding this rebel army in the Mohawk valley at Ft. Stanwix.
Marshal Grey will move on enemy force in Norwich region and ending his march at Springfield. General Leslie missed the force at Worcester but is moving on Bunker Hill to assault a small enemy force there and solidify our hold around Boston.
General Howe holds in Dorcester while a small force under Colonel Marsh attacks rebels at Dartmouth.
Colonel Matthew moves to Albany with 3 full regiments of infantry and two supply trains.
Colonel Delancey will move to occupy Wyoming in the middle states.
General Haldimand leaves a militia force in Charlottesville while heading back to Richmond. I have ordered him to destroy the rebel force at Petersburg as soon as possible.
In the south, Tarleton moves to Augusta and Colonel Specht moves to reinforce Charlotte.
I have the main fleet at Halifax. The arrival of the French navy at some point this year means I must keep it intact and ready for action

nevada73
Sergeant

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:10 pm

Turn 37
May 1778

Actions last 30 days-

Lord Cornwallis moves into Ft. Stanwix destroying a cavalry force that was moving into German Flats. Both sides fought a small engagement but Cornwallis reports low ammunition and supplies and is holding in the region.

Rebel cavalry defeated on the way to Ft. Stanwix

Small skirmish as both sides are exhausted.

Marshal Grey engaged General Greene at Norwich but the results were indecisive.

Colonel Marsh cleared out Dartmouth and General Leslie is besieging the enemy at Bunker Hill. Colonel Delancey is at Wyoming besieging enemy forces in the town.

Orders for next 30 days-

General Hamilton will attack the forces at Ft. Stanwix while Lord Cornwallis holds on the defensive in the region
Marshal Grey will move from Springfield and go after General Greene.
Colonel Marsh is moving from Dartmouth to reinforce Colonel Vaughn in Providence.
General Howe holds at Dorcester. General Leslie besieges Bunker Hill
General Haldimand begins his move on Petersburg.
Colonel Brown with a large native force is going after enemy forces in the south.

Situation and orders for the northern theater

Situation and orders near Philadelphia

Situation and orders near Richmond

nevada73
Sergeant

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:30 am

Turn 38
June 1778

Actions last 30 days-
Marshal Grey engages General Green again but cannot fix him in place for a decisive engagement although we did cause more casualties.

No other major actions as General Gates retreated his force from Ft. Stanwix into indian territory. The enemy is avoiding a major battle(General Greene's force in New England) while waiting for the French I am sure. I have reinforced my garrisons along the coasts and putting them into the town and forts. They should be able to hold against any siege for a month or two while my major forces are in the interior seeking out enemy forces. Where and when the French land is a big question that we have no answers for although I believe in the New England region for right now.

Orders next 30 days-

General Hamilton with is large native force will go after and finish off the beaten rebel army in the Mohawk river valley.
Lord Cornwallis will move his command back to Albany to resupply while leaving a small garrison at Ft. Stanwix as a blocking position against General Gates.
Marshal Grey is going after General Greene. His orders are to fix and engage at whatever cost hopefully driving this force more into the interior and away from the coast regions.
General Leslie will assault Bunker Hill while I move reinforcements into the region.
Colonel Vaughn is moving back to Newport
Colonel Marsh is holding Providence. General Howe holds Dorcester.
Colonel Delancey is assaulting Wyoming
General Haldimand is attacking Petersburg
Colonel Brown in the south with a large force of 3000 irregulars moves towards Salisbury while Colone Specht moves up from Camden with regular troops. Colonel Watson moves on the right near Crook's Creek to support. These forces will clear the road to Hillsboro.

General Hamilton goes after the tattered rebel army for good

Marshal Grey attacks General Greene again.

General Haldimand attacks Petersburg

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:59 am

Thank you very much for this beautiful AAR !!

Regards,
Bernadotte

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America AARs”