Hobbes

Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Carnium is away for a few days so nothing much to post for a while apart from a pretty picture of Albany traders
Attachments
trade_albany.jpg

Hobbes

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Phips arrives at Québec and manages to reach shore after the English frigates fend off an attempt to interdict the force.

Phips' troops are exhausted and there is little time as they begin the siege.

Otréouati is in a better position at fort Frontenac as French marines still appear in fairly low numbers in both locations and Frontenac is yet to appear.
Are they all hiding or massing at Montréal? Indian scouts in Birchbark Canoes are routed near the fort but Otréouati retains a strong force.

The English build another TP in Ashtabula.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
Q1.jpg
Siege.jpg

Hobbes

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Things are not going well for Phips. I was hoping for at least one more turn to recover, but Frontenac finally makes his presence felt on the battlefield and Phips is forced to retreat.

French irregulars shy away from battle but their intervention may well save fort Frontenac.

With the bulk of English forces busy elsewhere the French attempt to regain lost territory in Acadia.
Attachments
Acadia.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
Quebecbatteries.jpg

Hobbes

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Sometimes I see a strange effect with the images I post. In the last post the images blur a little when viewed in the top half of my screen. In the post before that they are fine. Can anyone else see this distortion or know of a reason for it? All the images are taken in the same way. I've only noticed this since I got a new PC with the dreaded Windows 7.

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:56 pm

An audacious attempt at brinkmanship is recieved with contempt by Frontenac and Phips is forced to undertake a long and dangerous retreat to Boston before the St. Lawrence ices over.

Better news for the English as Otréouati defeats Sainte-Hélène's irregulars and fort Frontenac is destroyed.

To the south west a small force of Seneca raiders attacks the Illinois trading village of Kaskaskia but is easily rebuffed by local indians and Coureurs des Bois.

In Acadia Portneuf takes advantage of the English absence and Pentagouet is returned to French control. I thought it might end in tears!
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
Q2.jpg

Hobbes

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 pm

It's November and Phips' force is still more than 30 days sail from Boston. I think poor weather may have already slowed the fleet and I worry that he won't make it to safe harbour. He could divert to Port Royal but the small town would probably not sustain so many men through the coming winter. St. John is a possibility but I have decided to put my trust in the Lord and pray for fair winds.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
P1.jpg

Hobbes

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:56 pm

The Lord does indeed provide fair winds and Phips arrives in Boston with most of his fleet intact if exhausted. I'm quite relieved and surprised about this! Odd goings on in Salem.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
S1.jpg

Hobbes

Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 am

A quiet spring as the English heal their wounds.
June 1692 and the French make an attempt against Greene's Point Post.

The Falmouth settlement is under siege from Kancamagus.

After the English failure at Québec the game could not be more finely balanced with only 4 turns remaining. A small victory may be all that is needed.
Attachments
Scores.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
The_Battle_of_La_Hogue_1692.jpg

Hobbes

Sat May 07, 2011 8:03 pm

English Militia set out from New York to reinforce Albany. An audacious plan to attack Montréal is soon left in tatters as poor weather interrupts their journey up the Hudson river.
Small maneuverings are all that is left for the English and still the French prefer the luxury of their stone bastions to the cold comforts of the field.
Exhausted miltia under Walley arrive in Falmouth while Greene's Point Post survives another month of siege.

A devastating earthquake and tsunami destroy the city of Port Royal in Jamaica.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Earthquake.jpg

Hobbes

Sat May 07, 2011 8:58 pm

I missed de Callières attack against Plaisance as the English offered no resistance.
The French have left comfort behind and the English have suffered as a result of complacency as their fleet patrols too far to the south.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg

Hobbes

Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Portneuf's large raider force turns its attention to the village of Salmon Falls.
The Boston militia are so reduced from their recent expedition that they struggle to provide a defence for the outlying regions.

de Callières advances overland to St. John as the English fleet moves north.

Only 3 points seperate the two sides! Greene's Point Post survives another month of siege.
Attachments
Scores.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

Hobbes

Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 pm

The English fleet arrives at Terre Neuve but a seperate relief force under the command of Walley is chased away by French frigates. St. John remains under siege.

The French tire of the siege at Greene's Point Post but their assault is repelled by the stout defenders. Traders are a hardy bunch!

Portneuf's raiders destroy the Salmon Falls village and the few survivors of the attack are taken captive.

The French take a commanding lead but the game is not quite over. More madness at Salem.
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
Salem.jpg

Hobbes

Mon May 09, 2011 10:23 pm

A French victory! The main English fleet fails to engage the French frigates but Walleys weaker force is intercepted and takes heavy casualties.
St. John survives the French siege but to no avail.

The game is over for the English (and me :( ).

I was expecting an early assault against Albany by the French or a raid against the small force at Hudson Bay, but the French decided to play a waiting game and it proved to be the best strategy.
The English assault against Québec was always going to be risky but if successful the game would have been won.
A few events didn't fire as expected but almost all did so I was very happy with the first full playtest. Now to work on the AI and make a few changes!

My sword is yours Uroš, many thanks for playtesting a new scenario once again :thumbsup:

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
Defeat.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
King.jpg

sapper32
Sergeant

Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks Hobbes realy enjoyed the AAR will look forward to trying this one at some stage.

Ian

Hobbes

Thu May 12, 2011 10:07 pm

sapper32 wrote:Thanks Hobbes realy enjoyed the AAR will look forward to trying this one at some stage.

Ian

Thanks Ian, PC has just died but will try and release the scenario soon.
Chris

nemethand
Colonel

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Hobbes,

nice AAR and a scenario well worth playing! Both show an outstanding dedication to the game and the theme! :hat:

I am really looking to forward playing it once.

András

Hobbes

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:19 pm

nemethand wrote:Hobbes,

nice AAR and a scenario well worth playing! Both show an outstanding dedication to the game and the theme! :hat:

I am really looking forward playing it once.

András

Thanks András :hat: Hopefully it will be available in some form soon!

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:56 pm

For info, both this scenario and the Pontiac's War scenario will be available in the next WiA patch.

Cheers, Chris

Ebbingford

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Looking forward to giving this one a go :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:45 pm

King William's War is now available in new patch.

With thanks to Bo Rearguard, Pangi, Nikel, Carnium, Lodi and Pocus.

Cheers, Chris
Attachments
Rijswijk1697.jpg

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 am

But it is stated in its description it shouldn't be played against the AI... Is that so?

Hobbes

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am

Palpat wrote:But it is stated in its description it shouldn't be played against the AI... Is that so?

Can be played against the AI - but best PBEM or as English (Human) v French (AI).

Cheers, Chris

Aphrodite Mae

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Hobbes wrote:Image

Hi folks, here is an AAR for the new King William's War scenario between myself and Carnium (Carnium French against my English).
Many people are probably not that familiar with the 1689 conflict so I have attached a few screenshots to show the major areas.

Thanks, Hobbes, for a great AAR! :) Carnium, congratulations on your victory! :)

As a matter of fact, thanks to both of you for all the good work that you do with WiA/BoA! You're an inspiration to us all! Keep up the great work, gentlemen! :)

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America AARs”